Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:21 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Beginner/Intermediate Pistol Match 

This Saturday May 9th is this month's pistol match at Capitol City Rifle and Pistol Club. Steel targets, maybe bowling pins, 50 round match. Come on out, it's open to the public and lots of fun. $11 to shoot, $5 extra for each additional gun if you want to shoot more than one. Single action starts at 8am, everyone else starts at 9am. I'll definitely be there, no place I'd rather be on the day before Mother's Day!

Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Single action revolver? Any semi-auto shooting? Can't find any info on their web page.

Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
Single action revolver? Any semi-auto shooting? Can't find any info on their web page.

Yes, so, the web page sucks. Let's just get that out there. Anyone shooting single action starts at 8am, anyone shooting semi auto or double action, starts at 9am.

http://ccrpclub.org/members/content/mon ... iate_match

Found this page, I think it does a fairly good job explaining.

I'm a beginner, so I shoot with two magazines, intermediate and advanced you should have 3-4 magazines.

The typical shoot, there are five stages, ten targets each. Let's say at stage one there is a Texas star, and a rack of different sizes plates. The course of fire may instruct you to clear the Texas star first, then engage the plate rack. There may be some red plates, you might have to take them out first or avoid them altogether. Depending on your level dictates your mag changes. Beginner usually shoots five rounds per magazine, two mags. Intermediate or advanced might have three mags, loaded with 2, 4, and 4 rounds, or any combination that gets you to 10 total. Not a timed course, so it's good for all levels.

Tue May 05, 2015 8:07 pm

The page I posted is a little out dated. It's 50 rounds now, not 72, and the cost is $11 (not $10. Stupid tax.) $5 extra to shoot a second gun.

Tue May 05, 2015 8:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds like fun, I take it these are monthly matches?

Tue May 05, 2015 8:09 pm

Wacarry wrote:
That sounds like fun, I take it these are monthly matches?

Yes, every second Saturday. [emoji2]

Tue May 05, 2015 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, if I have a 7 shot revolver, do I still need 4 speed loaders? Even though I've been shooting a .357 for almost 40 years I've never done anything like this, but I've been thinking I'd like to give it a try.

Tue May 05, 2015 9:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been a long time since I've been out to CC. I shot in the indoor .22 league a few winters some years back.
I'd like to come give this a go, but I don't have holsters, nor more than two magazines. So I guess no go for now..

Wed May 06, 2015 1:19 am

chasehooks wrote:
So, if I have a 7 shot revolver, do I still need 4 speed loaders? Even though I've been shooting a .357 for almost 40 years I've never done anything like this, but I've been thinking I'd like to give it a try.

I'm in no way the official word on anything, I'm still new and don't know for sure. With that said, I would say just bring what you have and make due. It is not a timed course, so if you have to hand load at the "load and make ready" and save your speed loader or moon clips for reloading during the stage, I'm sure that would be fine. I will also get the contact info on who is currently running the event and send you their info. You should definitely come! It is a lot of fun.

Wed May 06, 2015 4:13 am

chasehooks wrote:

I primarily shoot a S&W 25-2, 6-shot revolver at this match. I generally load my moon clips with 5 each, depending on the stage. You'll be fine with 4 speed loaders.

Reminder about required gear: Eye protection, ear protection, and a holster that follows the bone of your leg, ie. vertical, not a lot of cant.

Thu May 07, 2015 9:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Their webpage says they'll supply the guns gear and ammo if you don't have it.

Thu May 07, 2015 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
Their webpage says they'll supply the guns gear and ammo if you don't have it.

I'm going to say... that was posted before 594.

Most places are steering clear of 594. So I wouldn't count on it.

There are some clubs (CMP and a few others) that have permanent range firearms that is owned by the club (letter of the law) or rent firearms. But most of these steel plate and other matches do not.

But I do not for certain know. I'm just guessing.

Fri May 08, 2015 8:26 am

I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I was told that since it is private property, 594 doesn't apply. People let each other shoot their guns at our range all the time. Two months ago, there was a new gal there who had little to no experience and did not have her own gun. The match training officer gave her a gun, ammo, and holster to learn on the practice range. Last month I shot with another member's single action 45. I wouldn't count on someone having a holster that would fit your gun, but if you don't have anything to shoot they would set you up. I don't know how the interpretation of the law is regarding being able to transfer a weapon at the range (there is a range safety officer present at all times). My interpretation is NOT that the gun has to permanently "live" at the range, but I could be wrong. I guess we won't really know until it starts being enforced.

Fri May 08, 2015 4:42 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

LadyShooter wrote:
I don't want to get anyone in trouble, but I was told that since it is private property, 594 doesn't apply. People let each other shoot their guns at our range all the time. Two months ago, there was a new gal there who had little to no experience and did not have her own gun. The match training officer gave her a gun, ammo, and holster to learn on the practice range. Last month I shot with another member's single action 45. I wouldn't count on someone having a holster that would fit your gun, but if you don't have anything to shoot they would set you up. I don't know how the interpretation of the law is regarding being able to transfer a weapon at the range (there is a range safety officer present at all times). My interpretation is NOT that the gun has to permanently "live" at the range, but I could be wrong. I guess we won't really know until it starts being enforced.

Private or public property, that doesn't matter. The "range" aspect of the law is what's relevant here, and how you interpret it.

*shrug*

It's not high on my worry list anymore....

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri May 08, 2015 5:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LadyShooter wrote:

It's Thurston County, and our Sheriff buddy John Snaza doesn't give a rats butt about 594. Share away!

Fri May 08, 2015 6:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next