Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Beginner/Intermediate Pistol Match 

Hehe...

Fri May 08, 2015 6:50 pm

Time for bed! I'll be at the action pistol range tomorrow at 7:45am, hope to see some folks there!

Fri May 08, 2015 7:56 pm

I

Last edited by Pineapple on Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:03 pm

This looks like a lot of fun.

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks to everyone who attended the August match this past weekend...

The September match is on Sat September 12th (second Saturday). Oh I should not forget to mention there will be a BBQ right after the September match. The match director sets up a two or three large grills and goes to town... Pulled pork, sausage, chicken, jalapeno poppers :drool:

If you're interested in attending the September match recommend you contact the match director or send me an IM here to make sure we have a solid head count for all those wanting to chow down :bigsmile:

The match is a safe and fun environment setup to favor accuracy over speed. There are no timing requirements. It's great for new shooters and also experienced shooters can have a blast. Sometimes in speed events, individual competitors can lose sight of accuracy fundamentals... This match is a great place for experienced shooters to slow down and rebuild/strengthen their fundamental skills.

The match is typically a 50 shot course from a static firing line... Composed of 5 stations.. Each station consists of various steel targets (plate rack, texas star, etc). There are three categories: Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Beginner category is shot with standard two-hand, strong side grip. Intermediate and Advanced categories have more challenging requirements such as alterations in the course of fire, grip limitations to two-hand weak side, one hand strong side, or one hand weak side... Anyone can enter for 2nd gun to shoot the course twice for modest additional fee...

Requirements are a pistol 9mm on up or revolver 38 special on up (within reason, no 454 Casull or 50 S&W). Holster that follows the bone of the leg (no cant), no cross draw holsters allowed.

There is a revolver single action class that shoots for fun starting at 8am... The main match begins around 9am with a safety briefing to explain range operations and commands. An RSO runs the firing line at all times issuing range commands and each shooter is accompanied by a scorekeeper who resets targets, keeps score, and clears the shooters weapon prior to holstering (the line is run as a cold range).

It is possible for new shooters to borrow equipment on the range for training purposes. You can email the match director and mention you'd like to try out shooting but don't yet have all the necessary equipment. If you have trouble finding contact info for match director, PM me here at WaGuns and I can help coordinate that for you. There are several of the senior shooters always available at the match to help teach and coach new shooters with all the safety and technical skills they need to participate safely. This is done in a separate bay from the main match. Once the new shooters are checked out by the training officer and feeling ready themselves, they are paired with an experienced shooter for coaching and can join the match on the main firing line.

Hope to see some of you at the range...

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2