Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 SCOOP! SEATTLE COMES CLEAN: 'Gun Tax' a Loser 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EXCLUSIVE:

Seattle ‘Gun Tax’ Dud Confirmed; $103K Total Take

The City of Seattle on Monday afternoon confirmed what had long been suspected by Second Amendment advocates, that their so-called “gun violence tax” had pulled in far less than originally projected, a total of $103,766.22 for all of 2016.

http://libertyparkpress.com/seattle-gun ... otal-take/

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:rofl9:

so how much will SAF make in attorney fees and a nominal penalty? Im gonna guess 1/2 of the total amount

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:
so how much will SAF make in attorney fees and a nominal penalty? Im gonna guess 1/2 of the total amount

According to the judge's ruling, the city reimburses SAF for its attorney fees, about $35 K in all, PLUS it pays a penalty.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave Workman wrote:
cmica wrote:

According to the judge's ruling, the city reimburses SAF for its attorney fees, about $35 K in all, PLUS it pays a penalty.

Sure hope the penalty is "properly funded". Did their calculations factor in the losses in sales taxes from the dealers that left and the reduced sales from the ones that remained?

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:

Sure hope the penalty is "properly funded". Did their calculations factor in the losses in sales taxes from the dealers that left and the reduced sales from the ones that remained?

Not quite sure I understand this.
The penalty is based solely on a fine for each day of withheld information. It's got nothing to do with sales tax losses.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought Seattle won the case????

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dave Workman wrote:
skey wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:

Not quite sure I understand this.
The penalty is based solely on a fine for each day of withheld information. It's got nothing to do with sales tax losses.

The 103K they took in. Did they really get 103K, or did they get 103K when they would have had more in regular sales taxes if they wouldn't have messed with anything?
The fine was a separate issue.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pablo wrote:

Seattle won the case saying the "tax" is legal. They lost the case saying they had the right to withhold how much tax was collected.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:30 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you! ! I missed that distinction.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Seattle won the case saying the "tax" is legal. They lost the case saying they had the right to withhold how much tax was collected.

Until public officials have to start paying some of these penalties out of their own pockets expect then to not really give a care how much it costs them for stupid decisions?

The law is clear enough that anyone with an IQ greater than room temperature can see they were going to lose and end up paying a penalty with taxpayer's dollars. Start making it bite their wallets and they'll think twice.

I wonder what the tally over the last few years has been for penalties paid due to withheld or delayed information release by City, County, and State officials?

Probably enough to fix a bridge or pave a few miles of roadway at the very least.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But that doesn't count the loss of sales tax from gun purchases moving out of the city....right?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

ANZAC wrote:
But that doesn't count the loss of sales tax from gun purchases moving out of the city....right?

Loss of sales tax on guns, ammo, accessories, B&O tax. Not to mention loss of cross-pollinated customers' taxes for those businesses who shut down (visit Precise, might as well stop by Dick's, or take the kids to the Science Center). There is no question they went negative on this.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:28 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why the hell don't laws that promise something, drop off when they don't meet those promises?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Last edited by mcyclonegt on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

mcyclonegt wrote:
Why the hell don't laws that promise, something drop off when they don't meet those promises?

because... that would only make sense..

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

mcyclonegt wrote:
Why the hell don't laws that promise something, drop off when they don't meet those promises?

I wonder how to start a movement to promote this idea...
The fight by the Controllists would be to the death.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]