Dave Workman is an author, senior editor of Gun Week, communications director for the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, award-winning outdoor writer, former member of the NRA Board of Directors.
Post a reply

SCOOP! SEATTLE COMES CLEAN: 'Gun Tax' a Loser

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:23 pm

EXCLUSIVE:

Seattle ‘Gun Tax’ Dud Confirmed; $103K Total Take

The City of Seattle on Monday afternoon confirmed what had long been suspected by Second Amendment advocates, that their so-called “gun violence tax” had pulled in far less than originally projected, a total of $103,766.22 for all of 2016.

http://libertyparkpress.com/seattle-gun ... otal-take/

Re: SCOOP! SEATTLE COMES CLEAN: 'Gun Tax' a Loser

Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:30 pm

:rofl9:

so how much will SAF make in attorney fees and a nominal penalty? Im gonna guess 1/2 of the total amount

Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:43 pm

cmica wrote::rofl9:
so how much will SAF make in attorney fees and a nominal penalty? Im gonna guess 1/2 of the total amount

According to the judge's ruling, the city reimburses SAF for its attorney fees, about $35 K in all, PLUS it pays a penalty.

Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:01 pm

Dave Workman wrote:
cmica wrote::rofl9:

According to the judge's ruling, the city reimburses SAF for its attorney fees, about $35 K in all, PLUS it pays a penalty.

Sure hope the penalty is "properly funded". Did their calculations factor in the losses in sales taxes from the dealers that left and the reduced sales from the ones that remained?

Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:38 am

skey wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:According to the judge's ruling, the city reimburses SAF for its attorney fees, about $35 K in all, PLUS it pays a penalty.

Sure hope the penalty is "properly funded". Did their calculations factor in the losses in sales taxes from the dealers that left and the reduced sales from the ones that remained?

Not quite sure I understand this.
The penalty is based solely on a fine for each day of withheld information. It's got nothing to do with sales tax losses.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:43 am

I thought Seattle won the case????

Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:21 am

Dave Workman wrote:
skey wrote:
Dave Workman wrote:According to the judge's ruling, the city reimburses SAF for its attorney fees, about $35 K in all, PLUS it pays a penalty.

Not quite sure I understand this.
The penalty is based solely on a fine for each day of withheld information. It's got nothing to do with sales tax losses.

The 103K they took in. Did they really get 103K, or did they get 103K when they would have had more in regular sales taxes if they wouldn't have messed with anything?
The fine was a separate issue.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:30 am

Pablo wrote:I thought Seattle won the case????

Seattle won the case saying the "tax" is legal. They lost the case saying they had the right to withhold how much tax was collected.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:58 am

Thank you! ! I missed that distinction.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Massivedesign wrote:
Pablo wrote:I thought Seattle won the case????

Seattle won the case saying the "tax" is legal. They lost the case saying they had the right to withhold how much tax was collected.

Until public officials have to start paying some of these penalties out of their own pockets expect then to not really give a care how much it costs them for stupid decisions?

The law is clear enough that anyone with an IQ greater than room temperature can see they were going to lose and end up paying a penalty with taxpayer's dollars. Start making it bite their wallets and they'll think twice.

I wonder what the tally over the last few years has been for penalties paid due to withheld or delayed information release by City, County, and State officials?

Probably enough to fix a bridge or pave a few miles of roadway at the very least.

Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:25 pm

But that doesn't count the loss of sales tax from gun purchases moving out of the city....right?

Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:28 am

ANZAC wrote:But that doesn't count the loss of sales tax from gun purchases moving out of the city....right?

Loss of sales tax on guns, ammo, accessories, B&O tax. Not to mention loss of cross-pollinated customers' taxes for those businesses who shut down (visit Precise, might as well stop by Dick's, or take the kids to the Science Center). There is no question they went negative on this.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:33 am

Why the hell don't laws that promise something, drop off when they don't meet those promises?
Last edited by mcyclonegt on Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 am

mcyclonegt wrote:Why the hell don't laws that promise, something drop off when they don't meet those promises?

because... that would only make sense..

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:22 am

mcyclonegt wrote:Why the hell don't laws that promise something, drop off when they don't meet those promises?

I wonder how to start a movement to promote this idea...
The fight by the Controllists would be to the death.
Post a reply