Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 The threat to 2A 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:
ATF's determination, including referencing a commercially available 5.45x39mm pistol. I'm not supporting, or agreeing with this (this for the usual gang who can't tell the difference between the ability to read and repeat data and endorsing the position that data leads to) https://www.atf.gov/news/pr/test-examin ... ammunition

I'm certain that the othernoistols you linked weren't available at the time.

Try finding me one of the pistols that the ATF referenced. THOSE are the pistols that were allegedly available, but in reality did not exist in the US.

AK Files had people discussing the Robinson Arms in 2012. Too lazy to go back and find the thread.

Remember, they didn't have to be common, they just had to be commercially available.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
I find it curious that people think that referring to previous war crimes is overstating the danger.

When I was a teenager, WW2 seemed like ancient history. Pol Pot and his murder spree seemed like ancient history, even though it occurred very recently.

What is it about mass murder that makes people say "You're a nutter for comparing here with there. That can't happen here."

WW2 took place less than 80 years ago... That is a tiny amount of time. It amazes me that the "It can't happen here" folks seem to think that we are that different from the rest of the people of history.
Yes, we have a good constitution. It was written by people who wanted to make sure that the government would not interfere with individual liberty.

2A is super clear to me - The fed .Gov is NEVER to pass laws restricting in any way the Right of any of the people to keep and bear arms. Many rulings since have expanded that to preclude any government at any level from violating the constitutional rules. It has been skirted (in the name of safety) to allow infringements that are called "regulations" ... (See, it says right here- "well regulated.")

When you have elected officials publicly announcing their own fear, and stating publicly, loudly and frequently that we MUST pass more laws against guns to make our streets safer, we're actually seeing those elected representatives lie to the uninformed.
The uninformed can be defined here as those who do not take the time or make the effort to think back to the purpose of the constitution and 2A, and who are willing to listen to people in elected positions because they think that the representatives are wiser somehow.
They're not. They're humans. They wake up with bad breath, get sick, make bad decisions, get cocky and arrogant, feel insecurity, etc.
2A is under REAL threat here and now. We've had advances and setbacks, and there is no more powerful setback than the slow ostracization of rural people, and gun owners.
Tip the SCOTUS to strongly anti-2A and we are well and truly screwed maybe for the rest of the "life" of the USA.

From a historical standpoint, another Hitler or Pol Pot is a very rare and almost unlikely chance that depends on a lot of things going very wrong. The tendency of people to see lesser social upheavals as the path to Pol Pot or Hitler is what gets people rolling their eyes. Ever since the end of WWII people have been invoking "The next Hitler" to the point where it is a trope that gets cheapened with each and every use. That is why when it is invoked, the response is often derision. The bogeyman has lost his power due to overuse, misuse and misrepresentation.

And it gets to be the same with the reaction to anti 2A politicians. Few triage their statements and activity, few considers them on a threat level, and when things are considered from any other angle than "OMG HITLER AND FALLING SKIES AND DOOOOOM" they are pushed aside because they do not join the same paranoia tinged screaming of the majority.

Take SCOTUS for instance. Everyone is freaking out over who Hillary might nominate. That's nice. I'm far more interested in who the Senate will confirm or not confirm.

People are worried about "Heller being overturned". That's nice. I'm more interested in what will cause the Supreme Court to overrule itself, and under what circumstances it does so, even when faced with prior rulings a majority justices may not like or agree with. I find SCOTUS rarely goes there, and the way they operate doesn't lend itself well to "Overturning Heller" or the like. But that is an unpopular opinion and isn't even met with rational response.

It is exceedingly difficult to cut through the real and manufactured fear, the lack of critical analysis, the heavily biased presentations, and the cultural expectation to be in perpetual fear of losing 2A, and take a stab at examining things from a non terrified standpoint.

We want change, we want to fight back, there needs to be huge and constant legal pushback the same way gay marriage and abortion rights activists do. But we don't do that. We are second and third string wannabes compared to other successful movements that have been under regular legal attack. And part of it is, we as a culture are not always all that appealing to a broad swath of Americans.

You

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:06 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

kf7mjf wrote:
From a historical standpoint, another Hitler or Pol Pot is a very rare and almost unlikely chance that depends on a lot of things going very wrong.

I understand this, but counter it with a possibility.
When the consequences of a series of small steps can lead to such a severe result, I truly believe that the excuse of boredom with an overused bogeyman is a feeble excuse to mock those who see that bogeyman in things that others just see as bureaucracy.

Roll your eyes, but humanity should forever be watching for the next Hitler, the next Pol Pot...
Not because they are common (although I believe that they are) but rather because human nature has shown many times that it is capable, even willing (and sometimes eager) to follow a rough character like the two aforementioned leaders into a hellish society.

I don't like to hear the concentration camp level of conspiracy talk... But I vote that we all keep the knowledge that this happened many times, even recently, as a front and center reminder of the frailties of both societal weaknesses and individual human nature.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:17 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is important to keep it in mind, but the reducto ad Hitler talk that comes out over the slightest unpopular legislation, or any leader or politician who is unpopular with anybody.... the comparison has lost it's sting, and along with that, the credibility of those who invoke it also vanishes.

Too, there is a tendency to grossly simplify the situations that create a Hitler or Pol Pot, and also to quickly attempt to create connection to any negative event to the circumstances that create such things. We are reduced to shopworn hyperbole that means nothing when examined critically, and serves to push away people who do not think the same way.

Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:14 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

kf7mjf wrote:
It is important to keep it in mind, but the reducto ad Hitler talk that comes out over the slightest unpopular legislation, or any leader or politician who is unpopular with anybody.... the comparison has lost it's sting, and along with that, the credibility of those who invoke it also vanishes.

Too, there is a tendency to grossly simplify the situations that create a Hitler or Pol Pot, and also to quickly attempt to create connection to any negative event to the circumstances that create such things. We are reduced to shopworn hyperbole that means nothing when examined critically, and serves to push away people who do not think the same way.

I see your point sir. :cheers2:

I am reluctant to think poorly of people without getting to know them well enough to be sure. I've been very mistaken about people's faults and virtues often enough in my life ... The cries of "Hitlerish actions!" isn't nearly enough for me to write someone off.

Although I admit that I come to rash judgements while driving fairly often. I can't even count the number of people who I'd like to line up and kick them right in the crotch for their lack of driving skills/courtesy.
When my wife sees my ears turn red while driving she knows I have a special itch to use my steel toed boots...
After I cool down from an encounter with a jerk driver, I realize that I have probably annoyed a few people in my life with mistakes too.
The "OFF TOPIC" warning light on my keyboard is blinking. Oops

Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:

It is unfortunate that people always bring out Hitler references but it has been done on both sides of the spectrum (R and D). My issue is that Hillary as President would have power over more than just the 2A but that is enough to put me off. She has so much that is coming to light lately that would also put her down as one of the worst people I could imagine to be President.

I still feel the belief that her stance on guns will not be problem because she must go through Congress is wrong. Just look at what has been done with the agencies the President has control over. Justice can stonewall if an agency or person in an agency does something illegal. ATF can be used. IRS can be used to intimidate or take away tax exempt status, as we have seen with the IRS under Obama. There are many avenues besides the other two branches to limit your rights and the Obama administration has shown a few ways to do this.

Look no further than Fast and Furious to see what a corrupt Justice Department can do.

http://www.heritage.org/research/report ... -privilege

"The department of Justice told Congress that agents did not knowingly allow guns to walk into Mexico; nearly ten months later, DOJ admitted that this was not true."

Or look at what Justice can do in the current case of Anthony Wiener's emails and NYPD. The story was posted in another thread from Breitbart. Controlling Justice is a huge advantage, not to mention the massive bureaucracy under the Executive branch.

Hillary has also shown a psychopathic love for killing as she showed after they destroyed the country of Libya and said "We came, we saw, he died" and she laughed. the people of Libya are not laughing. Now Syria is on the radar and she is happy to oblige. The party that used to deplore wars seems to only deplore them when a Republican is running them. The peace prize winning Obama has killed many people and if you believe the stories about what he said, he truly is good at killing people. I'd rather not see a war with Russia, yet I see no diplomacy coming from Clinton. I did see a coup in Ukraine pushed by our officials when their government was moving to closer ties with Russia. I saw our President praise a terrorist organization as they took over Egypt (Muslim Brotherhood). I somehow see a lot of destruction surrounding these people and not a lot of diplomacy to calm things down.

Whether we believe a candidate can get through their odious plans or not, I feel it is best to steer clear of electing them based on what they say they want to do. She has proven to be a criminal even back to when they stole the White House furnishings. So much has come out in the past decade about the Clinton's corrupt foundation and their friends (who seem to have a predilection for sexual perversion) that I would not wish to rely on a corrupt Congress to be the last line of defense when it comes to my guns or any other rights. We also do not know what the makeup of the new Congress will be after the election. Since Rino's seem more than willing to back Clinton, I have little faith in them stopping her once she takes office.

- Reverend King —“The Purpose of Education” from Morehouse College student newspaper, The Maroon Tiger, 1947

Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thats:

Department of Justice*

*May contain injustice and hypocrisy. not appropriate for all social statuses. May contain nuts. Employees may be offspring of people who consumed chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:31 am

Why are there no Props on the WA ballots expanding 2A rights?
NRA, SAF, GOA fail.

Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4