Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What are 'common sense gun laws?' 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:frust:

What Are ‘Common Sense Gun Laws’ And Would They Pass 2A Muster?

Country music couple Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are, no pun intended, under fire on social media for remarks that have appeared in several publications, including Rolling Stone, in which McGraw reportedly stated “there is some common sense that's necessary when it comes to gun control.”

http://libertyparkpress.com/common-sens ... 2a-muster/

Gun control group sues Trump admin. over NRA ‘influence’

A gun control lobbying group has filed a lawsuit against the Trump administration for allegedly “failing to disclose documents” revealing what influence a gun rights organization has had in influencing President Donald Trump’s “views towards gun policies.”

https://conservativefiringline.com/gun- ... influence/

Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

no such thing

We need ask these retards: Why is it so important to keep guns out of the hands of criminals or crazy people?

If they are dangerous, we should be locking them up, not the tools.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"common sense gun laws" are a contradiction in terms.

"When a government becomes powerful it is destructive, extravagant and violent; it is an usurer which takes bread from innocent mouths and deprives honorable men of their substance, for votes with which to perpetuate itself."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

SAF, GOA Member

Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I am an outsider when it comes to my views on gun laws. I believe in background checks but also believe in prosecuting those who lie on the paperwork involved. I also believe that better record keeping on those who are are restricted due to DV or Mental Health issues.

Recent events have shown that the shooters slipped through current regulations due to crappy reporting and national database maintenance.

I also think that a common sense regulation would be national concealed carry permits on a Shall Issue basis. Use the same rational as with Driver's licenses. If you know the traffic laws, or in this case the unified national regulations, you get a permit (after background check of course). Laws would be the same from Coast to Coast so one doesn't need to have a smartphone app with GPS in order to know whether they are carrying legally or not.

Common sense in my mind would be to stop penalizing those who are law abiding citizens and start locking up those who clearly demonstrate their scorn for the laws. Don't you just love reading about some loser being arrested for a serious crime and learn that he's a "frequent flyer" with the criminal courts. I recall one recently who was under 30 years old and already had 14 or 15 felonies in his "jacket". Clearly he wasn't locked up long enough after his 2nd or 3rd. If he was he couldn't have racked up the other 12-13 felonies until he was in his 50's or more.

Common Sense tells me that taking the people who illegally use firearms out of the public makes more sense than trying to take firearms away from people who don't illegally use them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
I guess I am an outsider when it comes to my views on gun laws. I believe in background checks but also believe in prosecuting those who lie on the paperwork involved. I also believe that better record keeping on those who are are restricted due to DV or Mental Health issues.

Recent events have shown that the shooters slipped through current regulations due to crappy reporting and national database maintenance.

I also think that a common sense regulation would be national concealed carry permits on a Shall Issue basis. Use the same rational as with Driver's licenses. If you know the traffic laws, or in this case the unified national regulations, you get a permit (after background check of course). Laws would be the same from Coast to Coast so one doesn't need to have a smartphone app with GPS in order to know whether they are carrying legally or not.

Common sense in my mind would be to stop penalizing those who are law abiding citizens and start locking up those who clearly demonstrate their scorn for the laws. Don't you just love reading about some loser being arrested for a serious crime and learn that he's a "frequent flyer" with the criminal courts. I recall one recently who was under 30 years old and already had 14 or 15 felonies in his "jacket". Clearly he wasn't locked up long enough after his 2nd or 3rd. If he was he couldn't have racked up the other 12-13 felonies until he was in his 50's or more.

Common Sense tells me that taking the people who illegally use firearms out of the public makes more sense than trying to take firearms away from people who don't illegally use them.

Congrats. You actually offered your detailed answer to the original question.
Interesting reading.

HOW ABOKUT IT? Anyone else want to take a crack at this like Deadshot2???

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fix the NICS system and make it publicly accessible.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

Or scrap it altogether. I resent the fact that I have to receive permission from my government to exercise a natural right that the constitution expressly forbids government infringement upon. To the men who wrote the constitution, THAT would be common sense.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:

This.
Additionally, put the burden on the bad people. Identification for prohibited persons should be marked clearly that they can't possess a firearm. Access to a database to confirm validity of the ID. BOOM! Done!
For those that think it's unfair to label bad people, they can have the prohibited marking on their ID too, voluntarily. If enough of them do it the ID won't be seen as a scarlet letter of sorts.

Every time these leftist hoplophobes start dancing in the blood of a mass shooting, by a lone murderer, that isn't even a member of the NRA, they can't blame the NRA fast enough. The same leftist hoplophobes are the first to cry foul and gnash their teeth over those that "blame all of Islam" for one wacko that shouts aloha snackbar while slaughtering a mass of innocents. Hypocrisy.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a post of mine in another thread..............

This showed up in my FB Feed:

Prior to 1968, anyone could walk into a hardware store with cash and walk out with a gun, no questions asked. Yet massacres were exceedingly rare. So, instead of the “the easy availability of guns” being shrieked about, we need to ask ourselves: What has changed since then?

The question I always ask of my liberal friends is this, are we more liberal or more conservative than we were in 1968, in both society and fiscally? No one can argue that government isn’t bigger, or there aren’t more social programs or more regulations. Therefore the majority of the issues and problems that beset our country are because of liberalism.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:58 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

Or scrap it altogether. I resent the fact that I have to receive permission from my government to exercise a natural right that the constitution expressly forbids government infringement upon. To the men who wrote the constitution, THAT would be common sense.

I would completely agree if we locked up criminals that can’t be trusted with guns. But since we have a government that turns loose scumbags that can’t be trusted background checks are a necessity. And since they are they should be available to the public so we don’t have to pay to exercise our rights.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mcyclonegt wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:
mcyclonegt wrote:

I would completely agree if we locked up criminals that can’t be trusted with guns. But since we have a government that turns loose scumbags that can’t be trusted background checks are a necessity. And since they are they should be available to the public so we don’t have to pay to exercise our rights.

It seems to me that the criminal sentencing guidelines should be overhauled, then, so that we can eliminate the need for NICS. If we're going to reform something, let's reform the right thing, and reform it correctly. We would never put up with a NICS check before being allowed to fully exercise any of our other rights enshrined in the Bill of Rights, so why do we tolerate it for the 2A?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

danoh wrote:
From a post of mine in another thread..............

This showed up in my FB Feed:

Prior to 1968, anyone could walk into a hardware store with cash and walk out with a gun, no questions asked. Yet massacres were exceedingly rare. So, instead of the “the easy availability of guns” being shrieked about, we need to ask ourselves: What has changed since then?

The question I always ask of my liberal friends is this, are we more liberal or more conservative than we were in 1968, in both society and fiscally? No one can argue that government isn’t bigger, or there aren’t more social programs or more regulations. Therefore the majority of the issues and problems that beset our country are because of liberalism.

nail meet hammer......

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm
Profile WWW

deadshot2 wrote:
I believe in background checks...

Common sense in my mind would be to stop penalizing those who are law abiding citizens .

So you're against punishing law abiding citizens but all for background checks? IMO every single background check I've had to undergo has been punishment, especially those I've had to pay for!

Guns4Liberty wrote:
:plusone: :plusone: :plusone:

1811GNR wrote:
Additionally, put the burden on the bad people. Identification for prohibited persons should be marked clearly that they can't possess a firearm.

It's called a prison uniform and why the f is anyone who is a "prohibited person" not behind bars?

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Banning "Gun Free Zones" would be a start. Criminals should never feel safe.

Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gunblaster wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
I believe in background checks...

Common sense in my mind would be to stop penalizing those who are law abiding citizens .

So you're against punishing law abiding citizens but all for background checks? IMO every single background check I've had to undergo has been punishment, especially those I've had to pay for!

I've been around and buying firearms since they were first required. I've never really seen the 5 minutes it takes to fill out a 4473 or the time it takes for the phone approval to be punishment. I do see laws that prevent me from owning magazines over 10 rounds (and being non-removable as well), having to purchase a firearm that has features I don't want just because some nimrod thinks we all have to buy off an approved firearm lost is punishment. Not granting anyone who applies and passes the background check a Concealed carry permit, because the local authority doesn't think they should have one is punishment. Banning certain firearms from private ownership just because of "looks" is punishment.

Background Checks, in this day and age, are merely common sense. Refine the system by plugging the holes (lack of proper reporting and including the nut-jobs that are currently overlooked) and background checks will accomplish more.

Oh yeah, don't forget locking up the "frequent fliers" once their lack of willingness to follow society's laws is shown.

As for the cost of a background check? Everyone pays one way or another. Buy a new or used firearm from a dealer? The cost is built into the price. Private sales are the only times the price is broken out as a separate charge. How about a tax on EVERYONE that would go to the cost of BGC's? That way the anti's would also be kicking in to support a system they demand.

Consider these stat's

Quote:
The most recent estimates by the Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) were released in 2014 and cover the period March 1, 1994 to Dec. 31, 2012. The BJS estimated 2.4 million checks were denied out of 148 million performed during that time, or 1.6%.

Wasn't perfect but in that 20 year period 2.4 million sales were quashed due to the purchaser's record.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next