Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Legal non-immigrant alien looking to transfer a handgun 

Hello all!

As a Canadian citizen and resident of Washington state, I am here on a work visa and looking to purchase a hand-gun from my friend in California and transfer it here. Does anyone know of any shops that are familiar with the process? I know many shy away from me because they don't understand the process or even believe I am able to attain a firearm. I have all of the necessary documents and hunting license ready to roll for the transfer. I'm looking for an FFL close-ish to Gig Harbor, I'm willing to drive a bit. I also work in Puyallup if there is anything around there. Thanks!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

what you talking boot! Welcome aboard eh! Just messing. Sorry dont have any answers to your questions, but hell someone will! Welcome to Waguns!

Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was under the impression that a non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm legally in the US. I'm not a lawyer, and I may be completely wrong, but that's what I have heard.

I am free because I say I am. My freedom is not dependent on any government benefit or piece of legislation. My rights are inherent in the fact that I was born a sovereign being. They are non-negotiable. The government can list them and protect them, but my rights are not theirs to give away.

Yolo: Because idiots don't know what "carpe diem" means.

What, do you think I`m an amateur? You think this is Amateur hour? I`m covered in broken glass and hatred. You think someone would want to anger that with a Vz? - Fjordforder

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:53 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Captain90s wrote:
I was under the impression that a non-citizen cannot purchase a firearm legally in the US. I'm not a lawyer, and I may be completely wrong, but that's what I have heard.

They just need an alien firearms permit. Gimme a call if you dont mind kent
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:47 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns, Jaxx!

welcomewgo

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome to WaGuns! Give Greg a call above, he's an FFL and can help you out.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:41 am
Profile WWW

Awesome, thanks guys!

By the way I was at the department of licensing on Friday and after waiting in line for almost an hour they told me Canadians don't need Alien Firearms licenses, which actually is stated ambiguously on their site.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They stopped the Alien Firearms License almost two years ago.All you need is proof you are here legally and proof of residency. Your green card and a WADL/WAID will do. Understand, you will likely wait the entire waiting period.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Alien license was quite a circus, I got mine just before they scrapped it. For awhile they couldn't issue, as the FBI wouldn't release background check info to the DOL as they aren't a law enforcement agency.

I guess I don't understand the non-immigrant side of things, as you won't have a green card, but it sounds like you've jumped through the hoops to figure it out. No doubt Greg at K&E will be able to help you out.

Good luck!

Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:19 am

For a non-immigrant alien, you'll have a few more hoops to go through than an immigrant alien. You'll also need some thing like a hunting license in the state.
I haven't looked it up in a while though. You can find some information on the ATF's website though.

Fri May 03, 2013 12:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
They stopped the Alien Firearms License almost two years ago.All you need is proof you are here legally and proof of residency. Your green card and a WADL/WAID will do. Understand, you will likely wait the entire waiting period.

He said he is here on a work permit, which is not the same as a green card.

I don't think it is super clear. "A citizen of Canada or a non-immigrant alien not residing in Washington, who is hunting or participating in trade shows or shooting events while visiting or vacationing here."

Seeing as you reside here, and maybe aren't doing any of the above things, it looks to me like you might need an alien firearm permit.
"Who must have an alien firearms license?
Any non-immigrant alien who is temporarily living in Washington, such as:
People on temporary work visas."

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faalienfaq.html

Fri May 03, 2013 5:34 pm

Plus the federal laws too,

11a. Nonimmigrant Aliens: A nonimmigrant alien is an alien who is lawfully in the United States on a tem- porary basis for purposes of travel, business, study, etc. The term does NOT include a permanent resi- dent alien (someone who possesses a “green card.”) A nonimmigrant alien may only purchase or receive a firearm if he or she: (a) was admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or sporting purposes or presents a valid hunting license or permit issued by a State; (b) qualifies as a foreign diplomat, offi- cial, or law enforcement officer as defined at 18 U.S.C. § 922(y)(2); or (c) has received a waiver of the prohibition from the Attorney General.

Also,

Nonimmigrant Aliens Purchasing and Renting Firearms from an FFL for Possession in the United States
Nonimmigrant aliens generally MAY NOT receive or possess firearms or ammunition in the United States. However, a nonimmigrant alien lawfully admitted to the United States may receive or possess firearms or ammunition if he or she fits within one of the exceptions to the nonimmigrant alien prohibitions. These exceptions apply to an alien who has been lawfully admitted into the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that alien is:
Admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or 1. sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or permit lawfully issued in the United States;
An official representative of a foreign government 2. who is (a) accredited to the U.S. Government or the Government’s mission to an international organiza- tion having its headquarters in the United States; or (b) en route to or from another country to which that alien is accredited if the firearm is being possessed or received in the representative’s official capacity;
An official of a foreign government or a distin- 3. guished foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of State; or
A foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly 4. foreign government entering the United States on official law enforcement business.
Any individual who has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa may receive a waiver after submitting a petition to and obtaining approval from ATF.
In addition to meeting at least one of the exceptions for nonimmigrant aliens, buyers must also satisfy the legal residency requirements, as discussed below.
A nonimmigrant alien must provide the required Government-issued photo identification document(s) and documentation establishing residency in your State for 90 days immediately before the sale or transfer of the firearm. He or she must also provide documentation of his or her hunting license or permit, Attorney General waiver, or documentation for any other exception.
Note: You may attach a photocopy of the additional documents provided rather than record the type of documentation in Items 20c and 20d of the ATF Form 4473.
If a nonimmigrant alien meets these criteria and residency requirements and a properly completed NICS check is conducted by the FFL, then the alien is eligible to purchase a firearm from an FFL.

Sat May 04, 2013 3:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you go back to canada depending on what you boughgt you might not get to bring it across especially the magazines.

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wait, if you go back to canada, do you have go leave it here or can you take a gun across the border?

Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:18 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

os2firefox wrote:
Wait, if you go back to canada, do you have go leave it here or can you take a gun across the border?

2 year old thread revival!

Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]