Switch to full style
How to's, DIY's and helpful hints and tricks. Ask any questions you may have too.
Post a reply

Need help with an Enfield

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:06 pm

Recently picked up my first Enfield and started learning. It is a NO 4 MK I* made in 1943, also made by Long Branch in Canada. Its been sporterized. It has a Parker Hale front sight, 22in barrel, Herters muzzle brake and Williams receiver rear sight. Everything looks to be a Parker Hale conversion except the rear sight and muzzle brake. Gun is fairly rough, finish on the receiver and bolt are ok but the barrel finish is almost non existant. Bore is dark and slightly pitted but has strong rifling. The forend fits loose, moves side to side. That is what I do know, what I don't know is if its actually a Parker Hale job? Is the rifle worth restoring? Or is it a $100 shooter with the barrel being threaded and 2 mistakes, I mean holes drilled and tapped for the rear sight? Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Re: Need help with an Enfield

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:15 pm

I would not bother restoring it with the modifications that have been made. Cut barrel with threading, extra holes and poor condition kind of makes it a lost cause in my opinion.
Too many unmolested ones exist at a fairly low price point to bother.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:46 pm

Everybody has to start somewhere. And your there.
Keep it , shoot it, then sell it when you find a more desirable one. (Although I'd just keep it )
But until then you can learn how to tear down, fix and/or repair what ya got. Home gunsmith style.
Sounds like the loose fore stock is a good place to start.
I'd keep it a sporter.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:52 pm

^ I agree with both of these guys. Guns like Enfields only cost a few hundred dollars in original, unsporterized condition . . . the money to get a sporterized gun to that condition simply doesn't make sense.

Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:07 pm

That's kinda the responses I thought I would get. This whole thing started with my uncle wanting me to look at the rifle for him. I like to mess around with a little armature gunsmithing (yes I know my limits!) I told him it prob wasn't worth restoring so he said keep it. Thanks for the quick responses and sounds like maybe I have another opportunity to learn something and improve my skills.

Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 am

I restored a sporterized Enfield and found it a very worthwhile experience.

Is it "worth it" in the sense that you'll increase the value for resale? Probably not. But I learned a ton working on mine, so if there's value in the experience for you, then go for it.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:46 am

I have started playing around with it. At this point I think I will keep it a sporter but clean it up and make it as nice as I can without throwing too much good money after bad. And yes it's all about the experience.

Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:28 am

you could shorten the barrel some more and make it into a Jungle Carbine or Tanker....

Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:01 am

Keep an eye on your headspace!

SMLE's have different bolt head's to allow adjustment of headspace.

Why? Because it always creeps on a SMELLY (SMLE).

Another option for SMLE's with long headspace is to ream to .303 Epps, a wildcat with extended shoulders and more powder room.

Have fun!

Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:46 pm

I thought about shortening the barrel even further and making more of a scout rifle with the rear Williams peep. After all its not like I'm going to hurt the value at this point! The head space is a bit of a concern and will be checking before ignition. Thanks to all for the support. This site is pretty cool for people with knowledge and their willingness to share it.

Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:35 pm

You could always build a De Lisle carbine from it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Lisle_carbine

That'd be awesome.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:34 am

3584ELK wrote:
Another option for SMLE's with long headspace is to ream to .303 Epps, a wildcat with extended shoulders and more powder room.

Have fun!

His does nothing as Enfields headspace on the rim and not the shoulder. Rechambering to Epps will not fix excess headspace.

To make matters worse, most headspace gauges available in the States are to SAMMI standard and not United Kingdom military standards.

Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:03 am

3584ELK wrote:Keep an eye on your headspace!

SMLE's have different bolt head's to allow adjustment of headspace.

Why? Because it always creeps on a SMELLY (SMLE).

Have fun!

I know all about that.....

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... rifle.html

Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:32 am

Hal O'Peridol wrote:
3584ELK wrote:

Have fun!

His does nothing as Enfields headspace on the rim and not the shoulder. Rechambering to Epps will not fix excess headspace.

To make matters worse, most headspace gauges available in the States are to SAMMI standard and not United Kingdom military standards.

This ^^^
Post a reply