Switch to full style
How to's, DIY's and helpful hints and tricks. Ask any questions you may have too.
Post a reply

Re: More Duracoat Projects

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:54 pm

The YL chose a five color palette for her 6.8 SPC. We have to get a few more parts to finish it but, you get the gist.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:15 pm

That........ camo job.......

:bigsmile: :thumbsup2:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:33 pm

I am impressed that your GF has a 6.8SPC. How cool is that?
I am very impressed by the camo paint. You did it up awesome.
But whoever is selling you those gawdaful purple parts owes you your money back.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Pablo wrote:I am impressed that your GF has a 6.8SPC. How cool is that?
I am very impressed by the camo paint. You did it up awesome.
But whoever is selling you those gawdaful purple parts owes you your money back.

Thank you.
She said she's going to get Hunter's Ed this year and hunt, so...6.8 SPC for her for deer season. It hasn't been shot yet.
Ladies choice, like I said, five color palette. That's her color purple she wanted. I prefer it to pink but, you won't see me rocking purple on my guns.

danoh wrote:That........ camo job.......

:bigsmile: :thumbsup2:

Thank you.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm

The camo looks great! Strong work! That's a pretty attractive shade of purple too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:00 pm

I'm mostly joking about the purple, BTW. :bigsmile:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:04 pm

Pablo wrote:...mostly...
:rofl9:

Thanks, Breck.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:15 pm

I painted my room purple when I was a teenager in 1971. Leave me alone, OK?! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :bigsmile: :rofl9:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Pablo wrote:I painted my room purple when I was a teenager in 1971. Leave me alone, OK?! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :bigsmile: :rofl9:

For reference:

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:41 pm

Acid is a powerful drug.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:49 pm

That's it. I'm setting up a paint booth in my retirement house/shop. Neon orange baby!!

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Here's what I'm working on just for Pablo. Since he's such a fan of Goddess Purple, I thought, "Hey, why not just include that in a pistol that's missing a nut?"

Being in touch with my customers means knowing what personal touches they would like to see. Pablo being a child of the 60's would appreciate refurbished Colt magazines to match.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:41 pm

I'm guessing a little goes a long way with that stuff? Does it go on as thin as Cerakote?

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:16 pm

Breck wrote:I'm guessing a little goes a long way with that stuff? Does it go on as thin as Cerakote?

It can be layered fairly thin. But just like unfinished wood, unfinished metal can take a few layers before it reaches the surface. Then you need more layers after that. Part of what I'm learning are the signs for how many layers you need for any given part. For example, I blasted the Mauser barreled action with 70 grit aluminum oxide. Turns out I should have used a 100-120. It took 3oz of Duracoat to finish it. Maybe I could have left off one layer...maybe. The first layer looked like I only spritzed it with water.

The purple buffer extension that everyone is crazy about took three layers. It is anodized and was degreased and roughed up with 3M finish pads, and screws right in with easy. The green handguard above took three layers but was not roughed up. Just degreased. It's also anodized.

Some areas such as holes for the safety selector and take down pins are so tight, and I'm still working on getting the layers thin enough that they slide in with ease after a bit of lube. Honestly those small parts are a pain but they really do make good accent points. There's reason why people charge extra for coating them.

The upper, lower and mags above took about an ounce of the same Tactical Coyote Brown on the Mauser barreled action.

Then there's also how thin the Duracoat is. Clear Matte is thin. Not as thin as Combat Black. Combat Black is the only color on that 6.8 that did not need to be reduced. Goddess Purple is the thickest of all the colors I have and with my airbrush setup, it has to be reduced to the max recommended by Duracoat.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:23 pm

I'm almost reluctant to admit that purple is my favorite color. Don't have any purple guns or gun parts, but I wear it without shame.

Post a reply