How to's, DIY's and helpful hints and tricks. Ask any questions you may have too.
Post a reply

Getting a better grip on my turkey

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:47 am

First off, big shutout to Delliottg for his time and tools!

So, one of the hidden gems of the 45acp world is the SAR K2. Its a 14+1 steel frame 45, made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey. They have been making firearms forever, but aren't widely known in the states. This is a nice heavy full size gun, comes from the factory with mec-gar mags, and I was able to purchase a few more for only $25 each online.

Reliable, accurate, adjustable sights. everything is great... except the grips. It's got these hollow feeling plastic grips that just don't belong. There is no aftermarket support for this gun, so it was up to me if I wanted to improve it. Unfortunately they're not a nice flat grip panel like a 1911, so I knew I'd need some assistance. Called up Dave and he offered to let me come over, pick out a piece of wood, and get to work on the mill.

I chose a nice piece of padouk, it'll darken with age, but when cut has a really pretty reddish/orange tone. Got it chucked up and after measuring about a thousand times, started milling out the back.

used a coping saw to get the rough outline cut out to start fitting to the frame

It fits!

I still have a lot of sanding, filing, and shaping to do, but wanted to say
THANKS DAVE! for helping me get this far. It would have been incredibly difficult to get this far by hand, or using my router.

stay tuned for future pics as the grips get dialed in.

Re: Getting a better grip on my turkey

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:53 am

:plusone:
Dave is a good guy.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:10 am

Very cool, guys. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I'm intrigued by this pistol. Where did you buy it? How much was it?

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:17 am

Better your turkey than your chicken!
Nice looking gun ;-) I can't wait to see the finished grips!
I recently saw Turkish 1911 and got an opportunity to shoot it. Then I gave the owner Fred Hasting's phone number because the mag dropped out every time I pulled the trigger so I tried one of my Wilson combats and the same thing happened. Also had a FTE stovepipe...

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:20 am

MadPick wrote:I'm intrigued by this pistol. Where did you buy it? How much was it?

I picked it up at lowpriceguns for $550, Slickguns advertises the standard black model for $437
http://www.slickguns.com/product/eaa-sa ... cal-dealer

A good story on the manufacturer
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/SAR+ARMS% ... 0303643534

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:22 am

Thanks, Brian. I got a chance to fondle the SAR 9mm at K&E, I was pretty impressed for the price.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:23 am

MadPick wrote:Thanks, Brian. I got a chance to fondle the SAR 9mm at K&E, I was pretty impressed for the price.

I was going to order this through Greg, but lowpriceguns had one on the shelf, so that swayed my decision :thumbsup2:

Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:30 am

I think Lamrith also has a K2!

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:08 am

Massivedesign wrote:I think Lamrith also has a K2!

Yea, nice shooting Pistol. Maybe next on my list...

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:15 am

Interesting. Sar has a lot of nice guns out now. Looking forward to seeing the grips finished and also a huge :plusone: for David.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 am

Yeah I love my k2. If you like cz75 design you will love the k2-45. I mean how can you not love 14+1 of .45acp 230g HP?

I will have to subscribe this, would like better grip for mine!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:43 am

They look like they're coming along nicely! It was fun figuring out how to do the milling to get two grips out of what would become bookmatched pieces of the same chunk of padauk. I'd do it a bit differently next time, but that's the point of figuring out how to do something.

Here's Brian at the mill:

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:25 pm

Roughed in with the belt sander

Starting to take shape

Padouk is some splintery wood, gotta be real careful with it or it chips off on the edges.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:44 pm

You can firm up with edges with CA glue if you think it's going to be a problem.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:48 pm

It's mostly the small sharp tips that snap off if the grain is going the wrong way. It'll just make for a smoother grip, I'm not going to worry about it.
Post a reply