Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Rifle bedding? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a savage model 10 that is currently in a bell and Carlson m40 stock with the aluminum bedding block. It shoots decent around .5 to.75 moa with factory 168gr federal gmm. Some of the worse groups are around an inch. I have not worked up a load for this rifle yet. My question is should I bed the stock? If so should I bed just the recoil lug or skim bed the whole thing?

Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do a Google query like "Savage model 10 glass bedding" and see what you discover.
Here is one of the results that I found:
http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thread ... e.3757409/

Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have the action in a stock with Aluminium Action Bedding Block it's designed to work without bedding. I know, I know, all kinds of anecdotal "evidence" (aka Internet Posts) where people claim skim bedding improved their setup. Also, where bedding around the recoil lug helped as well.

In most cases it only makes the owner think things are improved and in reality it's the shooter that probably improved.

Aluminum action blocks are designed so they work just like a V-Block used by machinists. There are two contact "rails" in the bottom 1/3 of the block that support the action as it's being pulled in by the action screws.

Make sure that the recoil lug is firmly against the block and to make sure, put a bit of bedding material like J-B Weld, Devcon, or "Bed-Rock" on the back of the lug just before you assemble action in stock. A bit of the compound about the size of a Q-Tip end is more than enough as it will get squished out as it fills any void. Accra-glass is for hunters.

I used to think that some bedding under the barrel just ahead of the recoil lug helped too, especially with heavy profiles. Right up until I built my chassis rifle and didn't put bedding ANYWHERE. Action sits on the "rails" machined in and recoil lug is snug and square against the chassis. With essentially NO load workup, just using a good load from previous configuration, groups measured less than .25 MOA at 200 yards.

Make sure your B&C stock has no extra plastic that crept over the edges of the action block and check for full contact on the action. Mark up the action with a sharpie, put it in the action, squeeze it in and wiggle around/rotate. Then remove and look for two parallel lines in the bottom of the action block. If you have full contact, "bolt er down, torque it, then shoot it". Practice will shrink the groups quicker than a bedding job with that setup.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
If you have the action in a stock with Aluminium Action Bedding Block it's designed to work without bedding. I know, I know, all kinds of anecdotal "evidence" (aka Internet Posts) where people claim skim bedding improved their setup. Also, where bedding around the recoil lug helped as well.

In most cases it only makes the owner think things are improved and in reality it's the shooter that probably improved.

Aluminum action blocks are designed so they work just like a V-Block used by machinists. There are two contact "rails" in the bottom 1/3 of the block that support the action as it's being pulled in by the action screws.

Make sure that the recoil lug is firmly against the block and to make sure, put a bit of bedding material like J-B Weld, Devcon, or "Bed-Rock" on the back of the lug just before you assemble action in stock. A bit of the compound about the size of a Q-Tip end is more than enough as it will get squished out as it fills any void. Accra-glass is for hunters.

I used to think that some bedding under the barrel just ahead of the recoil lug helped too, especially with heavy profiles. Right up until I built my chassis rifle and didn't put bedding ANYWHERE. Action sits on the "rails" machined in and recoil lug is snug and square against the chassis. With essentially NO load workup, just using a good load from previous configuration, groups measured less than .25 MOA at 200 yards.

Make sure your B&C stock has no extra plastic that crept over the edges of the action block and check for full contact on the action. Mark up the action with a sharpie, put it in the action, squeeze it in and wiggle around/rotate. Then remove and look for two parallel lines in the bottom of the action block. If you have full contact, "bolt er down, torque it, then shoot it". Practice will shrink the groups quicker than a bedding job with that setup.

Thanks for the response. I think I'll try to load some hand loads with 168gr before I mess with it. It didn't like my first hand loads of 175gr.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This post should be in the First World problem thread: my rifle only shoots 0.5 to 0.75 moa.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:
This post should be in the First World problem thread: my rifle only shoots 0.5 to 0.75 moa.

True. On one forum I visit there are those that are proud of 1.5 MOA groups at 100 yards :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:11 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I bought a Mosin for ~$130 when I got my C&R. It shot ~4inch MOA at 50 yards. Horrible. I made brass pillars and bedded the stock to the receiver and it is running great now. I think bedding is only one option and at the point you are trying to reduce a .75 MOA, you should be looking at anything your pocket book and your ability handle risk can manage.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:26 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]