Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:44 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 New Project: Custom 10/22 Target Rifle 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next I began cleaning and polishing the firing pin. I de-burred and rounded the edges, I even polished the retaining pin hole

I'm not sure how much this helps, but it certainly can't hurt

The extractor, sanded and polished on all sides, edges de-burred

The extractor plunger was chucked in my drill and polished to 2400 grit

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also polished the firing pin channel and extractor channel by wrapping 600 grit sand paper around my needle file

Then I polished the bolt on the buffer and put it back in the machinist vice so I could jewel it.

I use a 1/4" Cratex abrasive stick and Mother's polish, after jeweling the bolt I washed it down with brake cleaner and after drying, put it in my ultra-sonic cleaner with soap and hot water.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:15 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

then re-assembled it

I wasn't happy with the depth of the "swirls" left by the cratex stick, so I started over. I bought a tube of valve grinding compound and a stainless brush for a Dremel, then I put some heat shrink on the brush to prevent the bristles from fanning out under pressure

This time the swirls are much deeper and defined

Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The charging handle was not the best looking one I have seen. I could have easily bought one for $30-$50, but some of those aftermarket ones add weight to the reciprocating assembly which can cause extraction issues.

Here is what it looked like when I started, you can see the machine marks in the back of the handle

After removing the machine marks I polished it to a 600 grit

Then I did the same to the front

After polishing on the buffer

The handle is made of steel, so I will need to keep and eye on it and polish it from time to time.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

This project has me feeling some type of way.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good job on jeweling the bolt.

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys!

I bought this generic rimfire scope (nearly identical to my Tasco scope I installed on my Savage Model 93 Varmint Sniper Project).

It has a lighted recticle that lights up in red or green, a 50mm objective and 6-24 power adjustable magnification.

While I was at it I bought this sun shade for a few bucks

I didn't want a black scope on my white and silver rifle, but the silver version of this scope was nearly double the price, so I decided to buy the black one and paint it silver myself.

For the paint I chose Rustoleum Silver Metallic. Based on some online reviews, it seemed like a decent paint and it was affordable at just $3.95 a can.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:31 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I removed the sun shade and end trim along with the turret covers. I then taped up the lenses and the other parts I didn't want painted. This scope (as many of the newer ones are) is coated in some sort of teflon like, non-stick coating.....the tape didn't want to stick to it.

After a few light coats I removed the tape and re-assembled the scope

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:33 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I then turned my attention to the aluminum and stainless scope mounts, here they are before:

and after polishing

Also just a side note.....when I opened the scope mount packaging I noticed there were only four of the eight screws needed to hold down the upper clamps. I sent an email off to Weaver. They sent four more screws right away without question.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:37 pm
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Inspiring. Thank you Casey.
You can take over my house building project anytime.

Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sure many who are reading this are wondering why I didn't pony up the dough for an aftermarket bull barrel. I did actually shop around and found that Green Mountain Barrels has the best bargain (great quality with decent prices). A Green Mountain bull barrel would have set us back $150-$200 (depending on options), which could be 1/2 our entire budget.

So instead I chose a factory one. Besides changing barrels on the 10/22 is easy and we can always upgrade later. In addition many shooters have been able to get great accuracy/precision from the factory barrels.
The barrel is a standard 18.5" factory Ruger stainless barrel, 1 in 16 right hand twist rifling.

It did not have a rear sight when I got it, but thankfully I have an extra one that came off my 10/22 Spencer Carbine project

The barrel will get a full polish, the rear sight installed and then installed on the receiver.

Here is the barrel before, it has a "brushed" finish, which looks OK, but I want Ava to shine.

We started with 400 grit sand paper sanding in both lengthwise and shoe shine fashion. I then went through 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000 grit papers before finishing with Crocus Cloth.

And after polishing

I then installed the rear sight and set it aside while I finish up the the other parts. I'll give it another once over before final installation

Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The stock is by far the most ambitious part of this build, so I saved this for last.
I intend to modify a factory beech wood stock using pieces of poplar to create a custom target thumb-hole stock, fitted perfectly to myself.
Included will be a few modifications like a rear tang and a bedding solution using JB weld and some parts I had laying around the shop.

The first step was to figure out how big of pieces I needed to cut to make the stock. I traced a factory stock onto a big sheet of scrap paper

To figure out the size/location of the pistol grip/thumb-hole I used my the stock from my Hoplophobe Project that was almost completed

The new piece measures approx. 4.5 x 14", I will cut it a bit on the long side, I can always cut the butt stock to get the proper length of pull.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:53 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I want to build up the area behind the receiver. When I add the rear tang I might end up a little thin on material there.

Before cutting the new butt stock pieces we went to work cutting the original stock

I couldn't figure an easy way to cut the forend, so I decided to do it by hand. I drew a line just up from the take down screw hole

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I removed the barrel band section

I then cut the pieces for the forend

and started gluing them on

Now the sides and bottom are glued on, I need to build a piece to plug the end and we can start making saw dust

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made the end piece from two pieces of 1x4 poplar

opening up the barrel channel, I'll work on this more later as I want a completely free-floated barrel

The popsicle sticks are to build up the area to make it thicker, I will follow the line tapering it to disappear at the front of the forearm. This will act as a finger hold as well as an accent.

Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:13 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next