Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Worst lead fouling I've ever seen 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rather than chemical strip try a penetrant like Kroil and a stiff bronze brush. I've had hunks of lead break free this way.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Drop the barrel in an ultrasonice cleaner and cycle it until all the lead is out.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

toys in the toybox wrote:
Im not an engineer nor a metallurgist and im assuming the barrels have some temper or hardening and im not sure 600 deg is gonna be good for the barrel but what do i know???

let the metal masters chime in

charcoal bluing is done in excess of 500 degrees and color case hardening is done at around 1300 degrees, you probably would not need it to get that hot to loosen the lead (maybe 400 degrees?). You will probably compromise the finish, but that can be easily fixed.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Last edited by TINCANBANDIT on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:55 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have your buddy shoot some fmj through it.

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan10mmman wrote:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/243419/outers-foul-out-3-bore-cleaning-system
I have an older one and these are the best lead removal system I have ever used. You plug the barrel, insert rod with O-rings, fill with solvent and attach wire to the barrel and the other to the rod, plug it in and the lead is electromagnetically drawn from the barrel to the rod. takes a little time but it will remove every molecule of lead.

I would worry about hydrolysis brittle-ing using that system.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last year I bought one of those Italian 92s imports. It had horrendous lead fowling! I thought the barrel was finished. So I started shooting it anyway (copper jacketed rounds), and every time after a range trip and a cleaning it would look better and better. Sometimes long pieces would come out that would actually follow the curvature of the rifling. I had never seen anything like it!

Well, the barrel is still far from perfect, but getting better every cleaning. The gun is more accurate than I, fowling and all.....

Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
Im not an engineer nor a metallurgist and im assuming the barrels have some temper or hardening and im not sure 600 deg is gonna be good for the barrel but what do i know???

let the metal masters chime in

charcoal bluing is done in excess of 500 degrees and color case hardening is done at around 1300 degrees, you probably would not need it to get that hot to loosen the lead (maybe 400 degrees?). You will probably compromise the finish, but that can be easily fixed.

thinking about this in my sleep.......how hot was the lead when it fused itself with the metal in the barrel? 150-180-200 degrees maybe? I'll bet that the same amount of heat would release its grip on the rifling

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Charles_P_S wrote:
Last year I bought one of those Italian 92s imports. It had horrendous lead fowling! I thought the barrel was finished. So I started shooting it anyway (copper jacketed rounds), and every time after a range trip and a cleaning it would look better and better. Sometimes long pieces would come out that would actually follow the curvature of the rifling. I had never seen anything like it!

Well, the barrel is still far from perfect, but getting better every cleaning. The gun is more accurate than I, fowling and all.....

This really validates what I wrote above. Forget trying to dissolve the lead chemically or with heat. Try a stiff brush, three or four spray penetrants, just soak and repeat.

Despite fouling vs fowling........... :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fouling! I knew that :)

Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Fowling" is when birds get stuck in your pipe or when doves are used instead of gerbils for filling your "prison safe"

Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spokepoker wrote:
dan10mmman wrote:
http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/243419/outers-foul-out-3-bore-cleaning-system
I have an older one and these are the best lead removal system I have ever used. You plug the barrel, insert rod with O-rings, fill with solvent and attach wire to the barrel and the other to the rod, plug it in and the lead is electromagnetically drawn from the barrel to the rod. takes a little time but it will remove every molecule of lead.

I would worry about hydrolysis brittle-ing using that system.

Could you please enlighten me on this. I have been using this system for years without any problems. Some guns I have used the system on twenty or more times and I can find no damage to any guns that I could attribute to this system. When I first started casting bullets I tried many combinations of lead, tin and antimony and found out that lead has many possible hardness levels. Fouled my Ruger out badly on several occasions. I hate spending hours scrubbing on a barrel. A good friend of mine showed me this unit and it works without any wear on the barrel.

Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Fowling" is when birds get stuck in your pipe or when doves are used instead of gerbils for filling your "prison safe"

Nice!

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most electro chemical reactions target the softest or particular molecule FIRST that does not preclude it from working on everything else at least over time

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ironworker78 wrote:
Have your buddy shoot some fmj through it.

That's exactly how you would remove lead buildup from polygonal rifling.
I first soak the bore overnight in Aerokroil then clean as normal. The Aerokroil will help to lift off much of the lead by migrating underneath it. Then simply shoot some copper jacketed ammo.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I would like to apologize to anyone I have not yet offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly. Also, please forgive my spelling or grammatical errors. If my post doesn't make sense or is not amusing, it's technology's fault and most certainly not operator ɹoɹɹǝ. Thank You

Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2