Switch to full style
How to's, DIY's and helpful hints and tricks. Ask any questions you may have too.
Post a reply

Re: Rechambering a Japanese Type 99 Rifle?

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:47 am

Hello all,

I know this is a only topic but I recently picked up a arisaka type 99 and was wondering how your conversion went. I know you said you were going to use 7.62x39, I'm wanting to use 30-06 is this possible? Also could you please post some pictures of your insert already installed, ( assuming you still have the rifle ) thank you very much

Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:49 am

Techdiver_6366 wrote:Hello all,

I know this is a only topic but I recently picked up a arisaka type 99 and was wondering how your conversion went. I know you said you were going to use 7.62x39, I'm wanting to use 30-06 is this possible? Also could you please post some pictures of your insert already installed, ( assuming you still have the rifle ) thank you very much

Welcome to WaGuns!

Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:54 pm

You can Rechamber it to 30.06, as the calibers are fairly close. You will have to ream the chamber deeper to accommodate the 30.06. Then you will be sending a .308 diameter bullet down a barrel intended for a .312. It will work, unless you want benchrest accuracy. Was done for many years after WW2, mostly for cheap hunting rifles. My dad told me of barrels of arisaka rifles at $5 each at the local hardware store, in the late 40s and early 50s.

Or, just reform and trim 06 brass and shoot 7.7 x 58 jap, as the emperor intended.
Last edited by Arisaka on Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:05 pm

Welcome!

I posted pictures of mine on the last page.

Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:30 pm

Post some picks of your rifle would you. As for rechamber...shoot 7.7 mm its a great round. If you post the serial etc., can tell you some about the rifle

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:13 pm

You could always leave the chamber alone. Use 8x57mm Maurer brass. It's 1mm short, but the cartridge headspace on the shoulder, so should be alright.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:17 pm

The other thing you could do is get some of that nice Privi Partzan .303 bras, turn off the rim and add am extractor groove.

Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:49 pm

Hal O'Peridol wrote:You could always leave the chamber alone. Use 8x57mm Maurer brass. It's 1mm short, but the cartridge headspace on the shoulder, so should be alright.

This is what I’ve done in the past. ^^^
Post a reply