Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Yet another 10/22 project 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know, I know...it is a sickness....I can't help myself.

I saw this gun on another forum and decided I wanted to build one.

I won't be going the SBR route (unless of course they are removed from the NFA.. ).

The guy who built the one above used wood for the pistol grips and butt stock, I decided to use plastic for the pistol grips and aluminum for the butt stock

I'll adapt an AR or AK grip for the rear pistol grip
I'll install a picatinney rail and add a folding forward grip
I'll make the butt stock from aluminum tubing
I'll also make the butt pad from aluminum, but cover it with a flip flop for comfort
Free float the barrel and anchor the rear of the receiver using a bolt going through the stock and rear trigger pin hole.
Square off the stock and perhaps add some metal plates with bead rolls to the side of the stock to give it an "Uzi like" appearance?

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those that haven't seen the blog posts, I will document it here as well

blog post: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... art-1.html

I picked up this used, 1995 vintage 10/22 for a reasonable price. The barrel has some light rust and the receiver has some chips in the paint.

I wont use a good stock, I'll pick from my collection of beaters

I already found a rear pistol grip, it is a universal style (to fit AR and AK rifles) and it didn't look like anything factory, which is what I wanted.

I'll use the Tapco anchor and bolt along with a sling plate to mount it to the 10/22 wood stock.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Front grip will be a folding style, mounted with a short length of picatinney rail

I found the aluminum tubing on ebay, a 24" piece was just over $5. It has a 1" OD with 1/16" wall. It is 6063 T5 aluminum, which should be more than strong enough. I'll find some aluminum in my scrap pile to make the butt plate out of

While trying to find a way to attach the butt stock I came across this part in my parts bin, it is a Aero Precision barrel nut from our AR-10 Project. It was damaged and we had to replace it, but it will work perfect for this project

The inside diameter of the barrel nut is almost exactly 1" and the aluminum tube slid in with the right amount of resistance.

I can use the gas tube holes run screws through to the wood to anchor it and the 8 set screw holes should sufficiently hold the lightweight butt stock .

I purchased some 8-32 set screws to hold the barrel, as well as some 10-24 x 2.25" long screws and nutserts.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Checking the length of the 10-24 cap screws, they will need to be shortened

Checking the fit of the grip and sling plate

Here is the stock we plan on using, you can see it is a little beat up.

Using my Hoplophobe project stock as a guide, I measured 17" from the barrel band notch, marked a line and cut the butt stock off...the first cut is always the hardest

I also marked the stock for what I though was the most logical place for a forward grip and cut it.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I measured the stock and found it to be just shy of 2" wide (1.91"-1.94") and about 2" tall (from bottom of stock to the top of the back part of the receiver. As you can see it tapers pretty quickly at the grip, I will cut most of the remaining grip off and replace with new wood.

I cut the stock back a bit farther and also cut out some Pine trim boards that are 2.5" wide by 3/4" thick, I cut into 2 x 2.5" sections then glued to the stock. This will be the base for the barrel nut to (which is 1.8" across).

Then I roughed up the surfaces and glued them together

Now that we have the stock cut and the new wood glued on, time to start fitting the pieces.

I measured the distance from the trigger face to the rear of the grip on my 10/22 ATI stock, it is about 2 1/2"

I attached the grip anchor to the sling plate using JB Weld

Based on my measurements taken from my ATI stock, I marked the area I needed to inlet

Fri May 19, 2017 7:09 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then removed the wood

JB Weld was again used to attach the anchor and plate to the wood. I put some clay in the end of the grip anchor to prevent the threads from getting sealed up

First round of body filler, not for looks as we will be covering the the stock with aluminum panels, but I want the panels to have even support

Blog Post: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... art-2.html

Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now we will focus on the construction of the butt stock and its attachment

Starting with the anchors for the butt stock, I clamped the barrel nut in place and drilled the first two holes

After countersinking the holes, I put some clay in the nutserts to protect the threads, filled the holes with 5 min ClearWeld epoxy and gently tapped the nutserts in place

After the first 2 anchor holes cured, I installed two of the bolts in the new anchors (for proper alignment) and drilled the last two holes.

Then repeated the process

While the epoxy was curing I shortened the bolts to the correct length

Once the epoxy cured I did a trial fit

Fri May 19, 2017 7:11 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I started on the butt plate. I cut this piece from some 2" wide x 1/4" thick aluminum, I used a template to trace an arch

Then used the belt sander to round it off

After sanding and radiusing the edges, I glued a piece of flip flop to the plate

After it cured, I trued up the two using the 400 grit belt on the belt sander

Fri May 19, 2017 7:17 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then I started figuring a way to connect the butt plate to the stock tube. I don't have access to a heliarc welder and didn't want to bother with trying to solder it, so I decided to use JB Weld. I stuffed some paper in the end of the tube to stop the JB Weld from running down inside.

Once I gooped it up good, I joined the two and pushed the paper down against butt plate, forcing the JB Weld against the butt plate.

I mixed up some more JB weld and forced it into a small syringe.

I then carefully spread it around the joint, cleaning up an mess with acetone and a cotton swab

Fri May 19, 2017 7:19 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While the JB Weld was curing, I started on the front picatinney mount. The 10/22 stock has a rounded bottom, I'll need to flatten it out some

After some work with the file I marked the center line

Then I drilled the holes and temporarily mounted it, the bolts will be trimmed after I figure out how to use them to secure the barrel shroud as well.

here it is with both fore and aft grips and the butt stock in place

Fri May 19, 2017 7:21 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn! Impressive work.

Fri May 19, 2017 7:40 am

I love people's ingenuity!

Z

Mon May 22, 2017 10:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So cool. Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Tue May 23, 2017 8:15 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

Very cool, Casey. I love seeing this type of stuff.

Sat May 27, 2017 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys!, I just posted part 3 to my blog (which is lagging behind the posts here)

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2017/0 ... art-3.html

here are some more updates

I need to shorten the barrel and recrown the muzzle. By law a rifle barrel must be 16" or longer (unless you file with the BATF and get a tax stamp for a Short Barrelled Rifle). The barrel on a standard 10/22 carbine is 18.5", so I will cut 2" off the end.

after cutting I checked the barrel length (with a cleaning rod in the bore) and we cam out just shy of 16.5"

Using my dove tail jig, I flied and sanded the end of the barrel so it was smooth and square

I then used my drill and a ball mill to chamfer the crown

I then removed the chatter marks with a brass stove bolt and some valve grinding compound

I stuffed a patch in the end of the bore to keep the valve grinding compound from getting inside.

Mon May 29, 2017 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next