Switch to full style
Current and Upcoming Legislation. Local, State and Federal.

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.
Post a reply

CPL Question

Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:34 pm

How can a friend who has passed NICS and CPL issued but Kind County will not give it to him? No felony or disqualifying records. A note is in the system to with hold even if a go.

A minor altercation about 18 years ago but no DV or conviction.

Re: CPL Question

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:07 pm

RubiconS4 wrote:How can a friend who has passed NICS and CPL issued but Kind County will not give it to him? No felony or disqualifying records. A note is in the system to with hold even if a go.

A minor altercation about 18 years ago but no DV or conviction.

What do you mean by "CPL issued"? Either he has it or he hasn't.

What did they tell him?

Here are the disqualifying criteria:
http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:22 pm

As in it shows King County issued a CPL but they will not mail it to him. He does not have any disqualifying marks. He has an active CPL they issued in 2012 that he didn't know he had but was told by the county no. He then went again to try this year and found one was issued in 2012 but a little note was put in telling staff not to mail it because one person "felt" he should not have one.

He also called the state and fbi to confirm and they said there is no reason they should be holding. Especially in shall issue state.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:30 pm

It sounds like he, and possibly his lawyer, should have a sit-down chat with someone at the King County Sheriff's office. Either he meets the requirements or he doesn't; if there's even a hint of "may issue" here, someone needs to get their ass kicked.

Some of our local law enforcement agencies are already blatantly ignoring the 30-day requirement in the law, and that is NOT okay.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:42 pm

I agree. I think this person is doing this to more people than we think. The clerk that was helping him was even shocked. Sucks he may have to spend money to hire an attorney just to get something he shouldn't be denied!

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I wonder if the new I 1594 law has something to do with this?

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:36 pm

jukk0u wrote:I wonder if the new I 1594 law has something to do with this?

No impact to CPL process.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:40 pm

RubiconS4 wrote:As in it shows King County issued a CPL but they will not mail it to him. He does not have any disqualifying marks. He has an active CPL they issued in 2012 that he didn't know he had but was told by the county no. He then went again to try this year and found one was issued in 2012 but a little note was put in telling staff not to mail it because one person "felt" he should not have one.

He also called the state and fbi to confirm and they said there is no reason they should be holding. Especially in shall issue state.

Where does it "show" a CPL was issued to him? DOL?

I can get you the name of the person to talk to at KCSO if you can't get the right help.
She also handles the FFL CLEO sign offs etc.

He then went again to try this year and found one was issued in 2012 but a little note was put in telling staff not to mail it because one person "felt" he should not have one.

The process doesn't and shouldn't work like that. If there's a disqualifying record, they can and should tell him about it.

Where did he file the application, court house downtown?

The clerk there can call someone commissioned to come out and go over the issue with the application.

Actually, here is the best contact point: send an email to Sheriff@kingcounty.gov and they will route it to the commissioned officer that oversees CPLs.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:45 pm

ANZAC wrote:
RubiconS4 wrote:As in it shows King County issued a CPL but they will not mail it to him. He does not have any disqualifying marks. He has an active CPL they issued in 2012 that he didn't know he had but was told by the county no. He then went again to try this year and found one was issued in 2012 but a little note was put in telling staff not to mail it because one person "felt" he should not have one.

Where does it "show" a CPL was issued to him? DOL?

I can get you the name of the person to talk to at KCSO if you can't get the right help.
She also handles the FFL CLEO sign offs etc.

He then went again to try this year and found one was issued in 2012 but a little note was put in telling staff not to mail it because one person "felt" he should not have one.

The process doesn't and shouldn't work like that. If there's a disqualifying record, they can and should tell him about it.

Where did he file the application, court house downtown?

The clerk there can call someone commissioned to come out and go over the issue with the application.

Actually, here is the best contact point: send an email to Sheriff@kingcounty.gov and they will route it to the commissioned officer that oversees CPLs.

They told him he has one active and no disqualifying conditions!!! This was at burien location first then court house downtown.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 am

I will pass on the info ANZAC, thanks.

FYI, he did speak with a Lieutenant, he told him I'm sorry but she makes the decision.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:39 am

I've dealt with Burien before.
I'd be banned here if I posted my real thoughts of what I'd do with the people that work there.
'nuff said.
:blackcloud1:

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:40 am

RubiconS4 wrote:I will pass on the info ANZAC, thanks.

FYI, he did speak with a Lieutenant, he told him I'm sorry but she makes the decision.

Who is "she"?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:22 am

MadPick wrote:
RubiconS4 wrote:I will pass on the info ANZAC, thanks.

Who is "she"?

Patty Shelady.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:45 am

https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threa ... al.120477/

Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:25 pm

Old Growth wrote:https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/kcso-cpl-renewal-denial.120477/

Yeah, thats my buddy. He was denied by Patty. He didn't know he was actually approved until he went in recently. Then to find out she was doing a little may issue bull crap.
Post a reply