Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 National Parks and Hike/Camping 

Good afternoon/morning all,

New member, chiming in from North Carolina. Long story short, I'll be traveling to Washington to visit some friends and the plan is to hike and camp somewhere in or around Mt. Rainier. I've read through a few posts on here, as well as some legislature on the WA.gov site in regards to when and where handguns can be carried, but I wanted to see if there is anything that I might have overlooked or outright missed.

I currently have a concealed handgun permit for the state of NC, which looks to be recognized by Washington. Also meaning that I can carry the gun loaded as long as I don't break any laws on specifically where I am carrying (loaded)? I'll be flying in to WA, and pretty sure I have the travel part of brining a gun down, mostly deals with specific airlines and not the state itself.

I don't anticipate carrying around town on this trip, mostly on our hike/camping trip. It looks like I'm good to carry in national parks and trails, so long as I don't discharge the weapon (ie. hunting and target shooting), or enter any federal buildings we might encounter.

Seeing as we will be on the trail, I more than likely will plan to open carry. In NC, we have a law known as "Going armed to the terror of the public", basically saying that open carry is open carry, as long as it is done "peacefully". So long as I'm not waiving the gun around and un-holstering for no reason I should be okay to OC in the woods correct? I also read (correct me if I"m wrong) that if I am carrying a firearm, and in the process of doing something that requires I hold a concealed weapons permit, I have a duty to inform any LEO that I am carrying? Does this apply to wildlife/park rangers as well?

Thanks in advance for your help, I look forward to chatting with you all.

Carry on,
-Articulate

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My understanding is that you must produce your concealed permit if requested by a LEO, however I'm not aware of any law that states you must tell them out right you are carrying concealed. OC is allowed in WA state and depending on the area you are in you may or may not get a reaction.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

9.41.060. You do not need to have a cpl even if concealing.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
9.41.060. You do not need to have a cpl even if concealing.

Quote:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

re national park, they now follow state laws (thanks Obama!)

Just remember, do not carry into a ranger station! (fed bldg)

You can OC or CC. You don't need to tell anyone you are carrying.
Complete with lawful LEO directives.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

Complete Comply with lawful LEO directives.

I think that's what was intended?

Remember that restroom facilities are also considered federal buildings when in a national park. And if you think that's stupid, you aren't alone.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:00 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Like the park ranger told my buddy "Unless you're waving your gun around pointing it at people, how would we know if you're carrying a gun in a federal building? Not like we have metal detectors."

Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Complete Comply with lawful LEO directives.

I think that's what was intended?

Remember that restroom facilities are also considered federal buildings when in a national park. And if you think that's stupid, you aren't alone.

Yes, stupid autocorrect is killing me this week.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Like the park ranger told my buddy "Unless you're waving your gun around pointing it at people, how would we know if you're carrying a gun in a federal building? Not like we have metal detectors."

I wouldn't do it and I know all the USFS rangers and USFS LE here on a first name basis.
That's just me.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]