Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I-594 and CPL holders 

I apologize if this has been posted, I couldn't find anything on it, but according to this list https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart, WA CPL holders can skip the background check requirements of the Brady law.

But, I am wondering under I-594 if a CPL will work for private sales too? I'm guessing not

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since initiative 594 was enacted a background check is required on all sale of firearms be it private or from a dealer.
There are a lot of gun stores throughout the Puget Sound, and Washington that will facilitate the paperwork for a fee usually around $40
I Hope this helps

Second Amendment Foundation

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
I apologize if this has been posted, I couldn't find anything on it, but according to this list https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/permanent-brady-permit-chart, WA CPL holders can skip the background check requirements of the Brady law.

But, I am wondering under I-594 if a CPL will work for private sales too? I'm guessing not

No, there's no exemption for CPL holders for private sales.

You need to go to an FFL and the FFL follows the process: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=76956

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:

And that my friends was very much on purpose.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Yep, it's not about safety - it's about making gun ownership a huge hassle.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Yep, it's not about safety - it's about making gun ownership a huge hassle.

Psssst. DO NOT tell ANZAC this.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

You're assuming way too much.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:46 pm

Thanks guys. I even asked a Kitsap County Sheriff's deputy about this and he said he assumed a CPL was sufficient. Pretty funny that LE can't even comprehend the BS of the law

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
Thanks guys. I even asked a Kitsap County Sheriff's deputy about this and he said he assumed a CPL was sufficient. Pretty funny that LE can't even comprehend the BS of the law

Cops are always most familiar with the laws they encounter most (laws that have been around for a while with frequent offenders). I'm always pointing stuff out our deputies don't know, especially about guns.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Oh I know. Sandy Brown, Fascatelli and the like. They said it. They could give a rat for CPL holders. I try to pay attention to these things. It IS frustrating, and that aspect got no traction.

I am bringing it up. I asked Dino Rossi:

Quote:
I am wondering as a 2nd Amendment supporter, if you might support a bill to allow a 594 exemption for CPL holders for private sales. Both parties have a current CPL (which means background check already) - why should they have to pay the fees and the huge hassle of going to an FFL?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Au contraire mon frere...he assumes nothing - the intentions of 594's authors/financial backers were quite clear.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:12 pm

ANZAC wrote:
victoriassecret wrote:

Cops are always most familiar with the laws they encounter most (laws that have been around for a while with frequent offenders). I'm always pointing stuff out our deputies don't know, especially about guns.

True, the only laws he seemed familiar with were firearm discharge ordinances and OC/CC. I was on a ridealong with him, so we really got to talkin'.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Police officers can carry concealed with their dept. ID, but still need a WA CPL to buy a HG and take it home the same day. Get a CPL everybody.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

victoriassecret wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
victoriassecret wrote:

True, the only laws he seemed familiar with were firearm discharge ordinances and OC/CC. I was on a ridealong with him, so we really got to talkin'.

Some LEOs have gone on record as saying 594 is such a low priority as to be nearly non-existent. Maybe some of them see a CPL as more meaningful than a law that is being basically ignored.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
Pablo wrote:
ANZAC wrote:

Au contraire mon frere...he assumes nothing - the intentions of 594's authors/financial backers were quite clear.

Actually I quizzed the "authors" on a variety of points (things that could have been better) and was told to GTFO because they had "top men" working on it. There were many things they clearly did NOT understand.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next