Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 CPL delayed for 60 days 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a couple handguns coming into my chosen FFL tomorrow and yesterday was the 30 day mark for my CPL application.

I called the King Country Courthouse and they said it's not even scheduled for another 32 days (which would still put them 2 days outside of their 60 day mark), she asked if I'm an out-of-state resident, which I'm not, I've been in King County for three years and have a drivers license stating as such and I applied as such.

She asked if I was applying under an alien firearms license and I'm not. I'm a permanent resident. So she'll refer it to the head of the department who was out of the office at 3:30 when I called and will be in tomorrow.

Looking at the law
http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

It should definitely be "within thirty days after the filing".

I don't want to be pushy, I just want to be able to collect it tomorrow so i can participate in my match on Saturday with my new toys!

Has anyone else had similar delays outside of the thirty day time limit they have mandated by state law?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:02 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Problem is, there is no penalty if they take longer than 30 days unless you want to try and sue them.
Some counties just hand it to you while you are there, some make you wait.
Takes them a couple minutes to get the background check back.
Depends on the policy set by the CLEO for that agency.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
Problem is, there is no penalty if they take longer than 30 days unless you want to try and sue them.
Some counties just hand it to you while you are there, some make you wait.
Takes them a couple minutes to get the background check back.
Depends on the policy set by the CLEO for that agency.

My experience with King County is that they want to ensure they get it done within the 30 days.
They probably messed up on yours, I'd call them. If you don't get any luck, I'd try calling the DOL in Olympia.

The time they messed up my first CPL and went (barely) a day outside the 30 days, they asked me to not call DOL to complain...

And yes, I was a lawful permanent resident, Washington resident when I got my first CPL and 30 days applies.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:22 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I have it on good authority that one agency within King County is three weeks behind on processing CPLs. The blurbs I've seen online about CPL applications on the rise is not a joke.

Thanks, BoHillary.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why do you need a cpl to buy a firearm?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So he doesn't wait the 10 day period and miss his pistol match?

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Having a current and valid CPL is no guarantee that you'll be handed your firearm that day. I have one and been "delayed" the past 10 firearms purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

True, but not having a CPL guarantees that you will have a waiting period on a handgun purchase.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:

For the local check w/o a CPL there is no set number of days for a proceed. I've seen proceeds come in under 24 hours, and Ocean Shores PD taking the whole 30 days. Paperwork is valid for 30 days.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:
True, but not having a CPL guarantees that you will have a waiting period on a handgun purchase.

Yeah this, I'm usually NICS delayed a day each time I've bought a firearm due to being a green card holder. So basically if I can get my CPL tomorrow, do the paper work tomorrow, I'm very likely to have my pistol on Friday.

If I don't get my CPL, well, I'm waiting for the CPL which sucks, and I'm definitely waiting out the handgun delay which varies greatly. My last handgun was 16 days.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:

There isn't a 10 day mandatory wait, that's only if there is no response to the background check/CLEO request.

There is a wait if you don't have a CPL, but it isn't 10 days.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Shit, my dad just got his, Bothell PD mailed it two days after application. I couldn't believe it. Snohomish county intentionally waits the 30 days, bastards. You should definitely press the issue. I would threaten (in a very calm manner of course) with DOL as well as a potential lawsuit. Stir the pot, my guess is they screwed up and won't want the scrutiny.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
os2firefox wrote:

There isn't a 10 day mandatory wait, that's only if there is no response to the background check/CLEO request.

There is a wait if you don't have a CPL, but it isn't 10 days.

Technically correct, I just have never had an experience where the proceed came before the waiting period ended. Well, until I got myself a CPL.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
Shit, my dad just got his, Bothell PD mailed it two days after application. I couldn't believe it. Snohomish county intentionally waits the 30 days, bastards. You should definitely press the issue. I would threaten (in a very calm manner of course) with DOL as well as a potential lawsuit. Stir the pot, my guess is they screwed up and won't want the scrutiny.

Snohomish County or King County? I filed for mine on a Monday afternoon late the week of Thanksgiving and had it in hand that Saturday in Snohomish County. I was told maybe 2 weeks and it just depends on the mental heath background check. That is what I was told can hold things up.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

os2firefox wrote:

I bought a pistol a few months back. I forgot my CPL so he rang it up the old fashion way. Got the go ahead the next day and picked it up. Sorry did not see the responses above. I understand what you mean now. I guess Thurston county is on top of their shit.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next