Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 H.R. 367 -- Hearing Protection Act -- Suppressors Off NFA 
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

kf7mjf wrote:
And then if it's being treated like a longarm, then one should be able to make one at home with no fuss or bother for personal use. To me that is the most immediate exciting prospect of the whole thing. I'll roll my own and wait for the commercial market to stabilize a bit.

This is what I am hopeful for. As a pessimistic optimist I expect it won't be passed in this friendly hoped for form.

Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
And then if it's being treated like a longarm, then one should be able to make one at home with no fuss or bother for personal use. To me that is the most immediate exciting prospect of the whole thing. I'll roll my own and wait for the commercial market to stabilize a bit.

80% suppressors then? Comes with a drill bit to finish it off?

Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Companion bill now introduced into the US Senate chamber by Repub. Sen Mike Crapo (ID) as S. 59:
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20170111/nra-applauds-senator-crapo-on-introduction-of-hearing-protection-act

Let's hope companion bills in both Senate and House quickly move forward to passage and concurrence. It would be awful nice to see suppressors de-listed from the NFA such that no transfer tax required and these items subject to much less onerous Title I background check and sale procedures.

Recent state-level suppressor legalization efforts in Iowa and Minnesota enjoyed bipartisan support. I'm not expecting that at the federal level for suppressor de-regulation given the recent temper tantrums and tirades coming from the left over their loss in the presidential election and loss of their US Senate majority. There's already been some predictable ballyhooing by liberal stalwart publications Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times. But we will see shortly what kind of overall support materializes.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It just needs a simple majority to pass the Senate?

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:

I dont know if you are asking because you dont know or if you are pointing out the folly of thinking this would be a simple majority-vote-and-done by asking, either way....

Technically bills in the senate can be passed with a simple majority vote. That said, in actual practice the mere whiff of a threat of filibuster is enough to essentially require a super-majority vote on a bill. As you probably know in order to end the filibuster a cloture motion must pass in order to limit debate; and cloture motions require a super-majority. Senate rule change issues are a little different (2/3rds) and the actual procedure is more Byzantine than above but thats the gist of it.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

airmandan wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

Or like a pop bottle, just fire the first shot, perhaps a reduced load to reduce potential of big damage. Then merely file off rough edges.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oil filter suppressors will become very popular I think

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
Oil filter suppressors will become very popular I think

As well as fuel filters

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As most already knows......... Writing to our Senators is a total waste of time.

I have written to them, as well as Denny Heck.... At least his letter gives me the impression that if enough of you all write him, he MIGHT change his position.

The Senator's reply letter just made me want to puke, and indicates to me, that they will never change.

From a blog: Political Correctness - the belief that one can pick up a turd by the clean end.

Benjamin Franklin: It is the (civic) responsibility of every citizen to question authority.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

airmandan wrote:

Already have those, minus the drill bit. They're marketed as "solvent traps". SDTA is probably the most popular seller right now. The cool thing is that you select your tube material, diameter, and length, then order the rest of the parts a la carte (baffles freeze plugs, undrilled end cap, threaded rear mount, spacer tube, centering tool, etc.). If the $200 tax is eliminated, then DIY silencer kits will truly be affordable for everyone. As it is now, a completed one can end up costing you a few hundred dollars depending on your part selection.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jdhbulseye wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

I dont know if you are asking because you dont know or if you are pointing out the folly of thinking this would be a simple majority-vote-and-done by asking, either way....

Technically bills in the senate can be passed with a simple majority vote. That said, in actual practice the mere whiff of a threat of filibuster is enough to essentially require a super-majority vote on a bill. As you probably know in order to end the filibuster a cloture motion must pass in order to limit debate; and cloture motions require a super-majority. Senate rule change issues are a little different (2/3rds) and the actual procedure is more Byzantine than above but thats the gist of it.

I think JDH got it pretty well. The process of ending a filibuster and forcing a vote is called cloture. Basically if some wool wearing, granola munching Senator decides to filibuster then the approval of 60 senators is required to force cloture.
http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Filibuster_Cloture.htm

So basically this will require some level of bipartisan support. At least 8 or so Democratic senators will have to support forcing cloture as we can count on some kind of filibuster activity. We'll just have to see how it goes but it is certainly not a foregone conclusion that it will pass the Senate.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That's what I was wondering.

Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:27 am

Is there any reason they are going this route vs challenging the NFA on a constitutional basis? Barrel length and suppressor use are the few areas where Europe and Canada have greater freedom than the US and it seems like now would be a good time to revisit the constitutionality of arbitrary barrel length limits, etc.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just think of how Suppressors have advanced in the last few years, now multiply that x 1000 as machinists and back yard gunsmiths will be free to experiment with different ideas and designs.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:38 am
Profile WWW

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
Just think of how Suppressors have advanced in the last few years, now multiply that x 1000 as machinists and back yard gunsmiths will be free to experiment with different ideas and designs.

Just think of all the home threading jobs and baffle strikes.

Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next