Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 594, Nevada & the FBI 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DGM33 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Nevada is one of 12 “points of contact” states that run their own gun background checks rather than relying solely on the FBI’s system.

Maybe I don't understand this correctly, but if NV runs their own how would that make a larger burden on the FBI? If anything, shouldn't WA's UBC be even more of a burden since our system relies solely on the NICS? Maybe the FBI needs to step in here, too.

It isn't about the burden.

It is about the fact the State of Nevada can require the FBI to do jack and shit and jack left town.

This bill required a NICS check. Nevada can't run NICS checks and the FBI won't do them for Nevada.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:11 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

kf7mjf wrote:
DGM33 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Nevada is one of 12 “points of contact” states that run their own gun background checks rather than relying solely on the FBI’s system.

Maybe I don't understand this correctly, but if NV runs their own how would that make a larger burden on the FBI? If anything, shouldn't WA's UBC be even more of a burden since our system relies solely on the NICS? Maybe the FBI needs to step in here, too.

It isn't about the burden.

It is about the fact the State of Nevada can require the FBI to do jack and shit and jack left town.

This bill required a NICS check. Nevada can't run NICS checks and the FBI won't do them for Nevada.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying it!

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well . . . ok . . . but how is Washington different?

Whether 594 explicitly stated "NICS" or "FBI" or whatever, the end result is that we are running private sales via NICS and causing burden on the feds.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

Whether 594 explicitly stated "NICS" or "FBI" or whatever, the end result is that we are running private sales via NICS and causing burden on the feds.

The FBI is just reminding the State of Nevada that they don't have the authority to tell the FBI what to do. But the State can tell NV-based FFLs what to do; the fact that it necessarily involves the FBI is just a matter of coincidence. Sure, it seems like a distinction without a difference, but the distinction is important because it recognizes the limit on the State's authority.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:12 am

MadPick wrote:
Holy shit. icon_eek

I wonder why the FBI hasn't done the same thing with WA? What's special about Nevada?

Good question. VERY good question.

Sounds like the basis for an amicus curiae brief to me.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:

FBI doesn't care about the burden. FBI is telling Nevada they don't have the authority to order these kinds of checks in the way the law was written, because Nevada is it's own point of contact. It is a small difference but an important one. One such tiny details do entire massive laws turn.

Basically if the law had said all transfers had to go through an FFL without going into detail they would have been fine. Apparently they specified NICS, and there is no authority for the state to use that system or order it to be done without dismantling the point of contact that the state is now. It's a technicality but a huge one. It would be like somebody buying an Airbus and requiring Boeing engineers to build the toilet.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:31 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

kf7mjf wrote:
FBI doesn't care about the burden. FBI is telling Nevada they don't have the authority to order these kinds of checks in the way the law was written, because Nevada is it's own point of contact. It is a small difference but an important one. One such tiny details do entire massive laws turn.

You may be right . . . but then again, I think you're making some assumptions here and I hope that you're wrong!

Powderman wrote:

:ROFLMAO: Sorry man . . . was just the first thing that popped into my head!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:45 pm

MadPick wrote:
kf7mjf wrote:

You may be right . . . but then again, I think you're making some assumptions here and I hope that you're wrong!

Powderman wrote:

:ROFLMAO: Sorry man . . . was just the first thing that popped into my head!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
MadPick wrote:
Holy shit. icon_eek

I wonder why the FBI hasn't done the same thing with WA? What's special about Nevada?

Good question. VERY good question.

Except there is no case to file it with. There is I believe exactly one person in WA right now who has ever been charged with a 594 violation. And so far nobody has seen fit to seek redress on financial grounds or excessive burdening of a right (the later I believe is a surefire way to have it thrown out since I'm sure the courts would support a UBC given the wiggle room Heller has, unless a powerful argument can be made for a CPL exemption. I doubt the courts will find an excessive burden though, since private sales still continue at a brisk pace.)

So really there is nothing to file an amicus brief over.

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2