Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:53 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Change the 24 caliber min in washington for big game hunting 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
badclam wrote:

I live in the country, surrounded by deer and elk. All the fucktards from the city invade us during hunting season and wound and lose 2 animals for every one harvested as it is. We've found 2 dead cow elk this week with arrows in them, because it's archery season here now.

Fucking archery. I don't think it should be legal for hunting unless you can demonstrate incredible aptitude. And then the fucking wannabes who think their primitive weapons (that every culture abandoned as soon as they could get firearms and keep them working) make them somehow more manly and back to nature can stop demanding special privileges to accommodate their willful handicap and ineffective tools.

Fucking inhumane savages. Might as well go back to scratching in the dirt with sticks to plant crops too.

:ROFLMAO:

I've known a couple guys and 1 woman that were very good archery hunters. They practice all year.

They were the exception though. We call it "Felon Season". All the convicted felons that hunt have to hunt archery, and there are a lot of them. Since you can't hear them shoot, and it's so brushy here, and they're all camoed out, they have absolutely no respect for private property. They can kill an animal in your back yard and you don't know it until your dog rolls in the guts. There is also a bunch of presumed meth monkeys who hunt with crossbows at night around here, then tag the animal as if killed with a bow legally. They've caught a couple around here with the fake stuffed elk.

As someone who hunts with a muzzle loader, I would like to see a way for good archery hunters to be able to hunt, but weed out some of the asshats that wound and lose so many. If I had $5 for every time I've heard someone say, "So and so stuck one today and lost it", I could build a nice AR10, that would in fact be appropriate to shot a deer with.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The wasted game and needless suffering of animals infuriates me. And the difficulty in getting a clean, humane archery kill makes it worse.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have no problem at all justifying killing animals for food, or because their population needs controlled.
I however do not believe in making animals suffer. Every effort should be made to kill an animal as quickly, and humanely as possible. It doesn't always work that way, but that's what we should strive for.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen deer go further with a misplaced 50 cal slug than from a Muzzy broad head put right through both lungs.

Deer will run really far with a blown up heart from a 300wm too.

Archery ain't all bad. But I agree there are freakin morons out there doing it every season who shouldn't be.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
I've seen deer go further with a misplaced 50 cal slug than from a Muzzy broad head put right through both lungs.

Deer will run really far with a blown up heart from a 300wm too.

Archery ain't all bad. But I agree there are freakin morons out there doing it every season who shouldn't be.

Like I said, Every effort should be made to kill an animal as quickly, and humanely as possible. It doesn't always work that way, but that's what we should strive for.

A heart shot with a muzzle loader or arrow does just about the same thing. It takes a little time to reduce the blood pressure and the animal to lose consciousness, either weapon will do that. I like to put my 350 grain HP through the shoulder. That stops them in their tracks. Second choice is base of the skull if they're pointed away from me. I've never lost an animal in my life for the same reason good archery hunters don't. I don't take the shot unless I know I can make it.

Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

kf7mjf wrote:
badclam wrote:

I live in the country, surrounded by deer and elk. All the fucktards from the city invade us during hunting season and wound and lose 2 animals for every one harvested as it is. We've found 2 dead cow elk this week with arrows in them, because it's archery season here now.

Fucking archery. I don't think it should be legal for hunting unless you can demonstrate incredible aptitude.

Sounds like a plan, as long as it applies to muzzleloaders and modern firearms too! :peep: There are just too many people out there that take unethical shots no matter what type weapon they use. I've had many years I didn't get a deer or elk because I passed on a questionable shot. Personally I won't do archery for a few reasons: terrible at accurately judging distances (when the difference of 10 yards does matter), arthritis in my shoulder, etc. But my son, who spends lots of time practicing, shot an elk opening day this year at 20 yards. It ran 15-20 yards, stopped and dropped after about 10-15 seconds. Last elk I shot with a 7mm Mag (at about 80 yards), lasted much longer, and it ended up with 2 well placed shots before I caught up to it laying behind a downed tree watching me.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:02 am

I can't believe we're griping about archery season, haven't you guys hunted a crowded area during modern firearm? Lots of crappy shots and wounded animals.

I would hunt deer with a .223 if it was legal but as previously stated, the WDFW doesn't really care about hunters and has no reason to legalize it.

Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:25 am

https://youtu.be/5UknRey6BLA

Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

30.06. That is all

Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:14 pm

badclam wrote:
In Idaho, most of the people are rural in nature, and know how to shoot. It's also quite a different environment. Just because another state like Idaho allows it doesn't mean it's a good fit for Wa.

So your position is that us Washington folks are too dumb to figure out how / what to shoot?

I would suggest that the actual experience of other nearby states would indicate that lack of a minimum caliber rule will not result in calamity.

Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gunblaster wrote:
badclam wrote:
In Idaho, most of the people are rural in nature, and know how to shoot. It's also quite a different environment. Just because another state like Idaho allows it doesn't mean it's a good fit for Wa.

So your position is that us Washington folks are too dumb to figure out how / what to shoot?

I would suggest that the actual experience of other nearby states would indicate that lack of a minimum caliber rule will not result in calamity.

No not us Washington folks. My position is that a whole lot of weekend worriers from King County, I-5 in general, are too stupid and inexperienced to make good decisions on how, when, or what to shoot. This thread is proof of that.

I kill an elk every year. Have for over 30 years without ever losing an animal. Neither myself, or any other prolific elk killer I know would argue for using smaller calibers. Wonder why? Because it makes no fucking sense! It's the same as arguing a 22lr pistol is all you need for for concealed carry. If you want to wound and lose more animals, take up archery hunting.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:10 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I don't hunt. I haven't. Wasn't ever trained. Didn't run in my family. Wish it had.

Would I stop a human with a .223? Sure. But we're big, stupid and lazy. An animal? I'd think massive damage would have to be inflicted to stop them. The kind of damage .243+ can cause.

I'm hoping to start hunting soon. With a .300win mag. But that's my uninformed opinion.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have a problem with using 223/5.56, but next year I will be using 300 BO.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:30 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

In the hands of a skilled hunter, a .22 LR Ruger 10/22 works very well on deer head shots.

Knew a poacher in Jefferson County who came over to Poulsbo, sold venison to friends.
Lived in a hunting shack, off the grid, it's what he did to live on for decades.

Not approving of poaching, but I doubt he had many that weren't clean kills with his .22.

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

badclam wrote:
It's the same as arguing a 22lr pistol is all you need for for concealed carry.

Are you telling my my .22 short derringer is not enough?

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:06 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next