Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 10:20 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 WA Initiative 1307 - Firearms Freedom Act 

ANZAC wrote:
Webster82 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
I'm not getting it, several of the definitions (assault weapon, semi-automatic etc.) aren't referenced anywhere.
The citations of existing bits of the state constitution (in New Sec 1) hardly seem like they need to be included in a new RCW chapter.

The definitions aren't necessarily designed to be used in the Initiative itself, but to help the general populace better the correct terminology. Just remember that if this becomes law, it can be used to define other initiatives or laws. Section 2 sets the record straight for the people and law makers.

It actually says they apply to that RCW chapter. Why put them in and then potentially limit it?
And we're going to have an RCW to tell people how to speak?

Quote:

I would agree that Section 1 almost seems pointless to the gun owners that take this seriously. However, it was important to identify the source of this initiative/laws. Secondly, if Section 1 was common sense, then why are we having this gun crisis in America? Especially from this tyrannical president who was a "Constitutional Scholar/Lawyer?"

Right, but that's the kind of stuff that is usually in a bill preamble, but not in the codified changes.

This initiative has fail written all over it because it has too much random stuff in it, the same reason the background check bill failed.

There should just be a really short initiative to make clear that any federal law that limits the type of guns or magazines beyond what is allowed under state law can not be enforced in WA. All the other stuff is window dressing.

And all of the mental health stuff seems way too preemptive. A better system needs to evolve, no one has produced it yet. I think there needs to be a better flow of information to NICS on people with serious mental health issues, not just an imminent danger. Someone who has psychotic episodes may not have demonstrated an imminent danger, but I am not crazy about them having access to firearms. Right now the state law is really clear (9.41.040), and there's a process. As long as that remains in place, or is carefully amended, there's no privacy risk.

But anyway, best of luck.

No law is perfect. Even Founding Fathers knew the Constitution wasn't perfect. But, it's a start. Just because we have this initiative moving forward, doesn't mean it cannot be ratified later. You see, I've been in this shit since December. I was drafting, writing, re-writing, adding things, subtracting crap, and finally came up with this imperfect initiative.

It's not perfect, but let me ask you this; what have you done to protect your Rights, Freedoms, and Liberties? Did you write a piece of legislation? Did you meet at the rallies? Did you research laws? Have you done anything but be an internet ninja lawyer?

This isn't perfect, but it's a start for the PEOPLE of Washington to take a stand against the obammy/boomberg/franken-stein war machine! I have done 100% of the research, drafting, writing, filing, donation gathering, and giving positive motivation and thanks since December of 2012.

All I'm asking for is support through gathering signatures, printing initiative papers, giving/gathering donations, spreading the word to family, friends, and supporters. If I've done 95% of the work for you, will you do the 5% we need to get this on the ballot this year?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."
-Abraham Lincoln

Fri May 17, 2013 11:03 am
Profile YIM

ANZAC wrote:
What are you trying to achieve?

Freedom and Liberty! What are you trying to achieve?

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-Thomas Jefferson

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
-Benjamin Franklin

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."
-Abraham Lincoln

Fri May 17, 2013 11:05 am
Profile YIM
Banned

I'm not trying to be critical, but I think this proposal needs to be revised by someone with a legal background before it has a chance of being passed, the wording is all imprecise and not specific enough for legal revision to the RCW.

PMME

Fri May 17, 2013 11:21 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

This isn't a draft for revision, this is the initiative. It's currently on the street getting signatures. Is it perfect? No. There will never be a single Initiative written that will appease 100% of the people out there. The key is, to you, is there more pro than con in there? For me, there is, and that is why I support I-1307.

Fri May 17, 2013 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

Massivedesign wrote:
This isn't a draft for revision, this is the initiative. It's currently on the street getting signatures. Is it perfect? No. There will never be a single Initiative written that will appease 100% of the people out there. The key is, to you, is there more pro than con in there? For me, there is, and that is why I support I-1307.

Well, if nothing else, it will at least be a good learning experience for future efforts.

PMME

Fri May 17, 2013 2:15 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Agreed! We have a long road ahead of us trying to get back the freedoms that have been stripped over the last 80 years.

Fri May 17, 2013 2:37 pm
Profile WWW
Banned

Massivedesign wrote:
Agreed! We have a long road ahead of us trying to get back the freedoms that have been stripped over the last 80 years.

Don't get me wrong, I believe wholeheartedly in the premise. It's the execution that makes me doubt it's prospects. I really hope this gets people inspired enough actively pursue similar proposals in the future.
Hopefully the combination of this kind of dedication, paired with future acceptance of the necessity to have professional legal revision of legislative proposals, will have us changing laws for the better in the long run.

PMME

Fri May 17, 2013 4:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Webster82 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
What are you trying to achieve?

Freedom and Liberty! What are you trying to achieve?

I'm trying to understand the initiative.

Fri May 17, 2013 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WrinkledSphincter wrote:
I'm not trying to be critical, but I think this proposal needs to be revised by someone with a legal background before it has a chance of being passed, the wording is all imprecise and not specific enough for legal revision to the RCW.

Hey, maybe we should each write our own initiative and see how many signatures we get.

Fri May 17, 2013 4:24 pm
Banned

ANZAC wrote:
WrinkledSphincter wrote:

Hey, maybe we should each write our own initiative and see how many signatures we get.

PMME

Fri May 17, 2013 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Webster82 wrote:
No law is perfect. Even Founding Fathers knew the Constitution wasn't perfect. But, it's a start. Just because we have this initiative moving forward, doesn't mean it cannot be ratified later. You see, I've been in this shit since December. I was drafting, writing, re-writing, adding things, subtracting crap, and finally came up with this imperfect initiative.

Good for you, there are a lot of good things in there.

Quote:
It's not perfect, but let me ask you this; what have you done to protect your Rights, Freedoms, and Liberties? Did you write a piece of legislation? Did you meet at the rallies? Did you research laws? Have you done anything but be an internet ninja lawyer?

Hey, I'm just trying to understand what is in there and how it helps protect our rights (or not), specifically around future federal or state assault weapon bans and mag restrictions.

Quote:
All I'm asking for is support through gathering signatures, printing initiative papers, giving/gathering donations, spreading the word to family, friends, and supporters. If I've done 95% of the work for you, will you do the 5% we need to get this on the ballot this year?

I wish you the very best of luck with it.

If you want any drafting help in the future from an internet ninja lawyer I'm always available by PM.
(and I mean that seriously)

Fri May 17, 2013 4:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WrinkledSphincter wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I believe wholeheartedly in the premise. It's the execution that makes me doubt it's prospects. I really hope this gets people inspired enough actively pursue similar proposals in the future.
Hopefully the combination of this kind of dedication, paired with future acceptance of the necessity to have professional legal revision of legislative proposals, will have us changing laws for the better in the long run.

:plusone:

Fri May 17, 2013 4:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Okay instead of complaining, where can I sign?

Fri May 17, 2013 8:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Webster82 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
Webster82 wrote:
ANZAC wrote:
I'm not getting it, several of the definitions (assault weapon, semi-automatic etc.) aren't referenced anywhere.
The citations of existing bits of the state constitution (in New Sec 1) hardly seem like they need to be included in a new RCW chapter.

The definitions aren't necessarily designed to be used in the Initiative itself, but to help the general populace better the correct terminology. Just remember that if this becomes law, it can be used to define other initiatives or laws. Section 2 sets the record straight for the people and law makers.

It actually says they apply to that RCW chapter. Why put them in and then potentially limit it?
And we're going to have an RCW to tell people how to speak?

Quote:

I would agree that Section 1 almost seems pointless to the gun owners that take this seriously. However, it was important to identify the source of this initiative/laws. Secondly, if Section 1 was common sense, then why are we having this gun crisis in America? Especially from this tyrannical president who was a "Constitutional Scholar/Lawyer?"

Right, but that's the kind of stuff that is usually in a bill preamble, but not in the codified changes.

This initiative has fail written all over it because it has too much random stuff in it, the same reason the background check bill failed.

There should just be a really short initiative to make clear that any federal law that limits the type of guns or magazines beyond what is allowed under state law can not be enforced in WA. All the other stuff is window dressing.

And all of the mental health stuff seems way too preemptive. A better system needs to evolve, no one has produced it yet. I think there needs to be a better flow of information to NICS on people with serious mental health issues, not just an imminent danger. Someone who has psychotic episodes may not have demonstrated an imminent danger, but I am not crazy about them having access to firearms. Right now the state law is really clear (9.41.040), and there's a process. As long as that remains in place, or is carefully amended, there's no privacy risk.

But anyway, best of luck.

This isn't perfect, but it's a start for the PEOPLE of Washington to take a stand against the obammy/boomberg/franken-stein war machine! I have done 100% of the research, drafting, writing, filing, donation gathering, and giving positive motivation and thanks since December of 2012.

I am not sure to the point of this initiative. It provides no remedy for a current problem. It speaks to national constitutional issues, thus invalid in a state initiative. As to state constitutional issues, only an amendment to the state constitution is applicable.

As to what I have done....ask many on this board, ask those on the opencarry.org board, ask Dave Workman, ask Alan Gotlieb. Where where you when the legislature was meeting, when the sunshine committee was attempting to make your CPL info public, did I see you in Oak Harbor?

Wed May 22, 2013 10:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2