Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 5:31 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Military & Spouse looking to get WA CPL 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife and I are looking to get our CPLs for WA. I'm active duty military, and we're in Tacoma. Any suggestions on whether we should go to the city PD or county Sheriff's Office?

What kind of documentation do they want to "provide proof you have lived in the state for at least the last 90 days"? Would my military orders count for this, or should I show them a lease? I already have to show them my orders "If you’re in the military, your military ID and orders listing your station location." We are not WA residents. We are AZ residents, but don't have CPLs for AZ, because there you don't need any paperwork whatsoever to carry open or concealed.

We're not really in a hurry, just wanted to get the process started.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can apply either as a resident or not... I'm assuming you are a resident someplace else (not from Washington)...

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms ... alreq.html

You can apply at either the city or county... Unless you are going as a resident then apply at the city (unless you live in unincorporated area of your county... then you would apply at the county).

Thank you for your service!
:patriot:

I say either as a military servicemember with orders... stationing you in the state. You can apply as a resident as you have residency but it would be easier for you to just apply as a non resident. You may wait longer (resident usually less than 30 days but non residents are out to 90 days depending on where you apply). FYI: it cost the same... either way. :thumbsup2:

Your wife with your orders and military dependent ID should be the same... but depending on where... they may ask her to wait for residency...???

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for the info. We're both going to apply as non residents. We've been here 90 days. Not really interested in changing our residency, seeing how we'll probably be moving every few years. I may end up with quite the CPL collection by the time I retire though.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:plusone:

Yes, take advantage... there are few things to take advantage (while in service) so enjoy.

As you know you are technically potentially a resident of all 50 states (the ones you have orders to...) In this case... as mentioned before there is no price difference (resident or not).

$52.50
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/fafees.html

Have you been to Range 15 on post?
http://www.jblmmwr.com/nw_adv_ranges.html

Disclaimer: every state has different rules. WA does not require a class and/or range time.

Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The answer to your first question would be the LESA office across from the courthouse in Downtown Tacoma. A tip I will share from my journeys there is get there early. The line will start to form at about 0730, and they technically will open at 0830. If you are not in there by 1000, you will probably not be completed that day. If you get there before 0800, you will usually be out of there by 0930ish. You can also download the application from their website, and can call them with any questions you have.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you for your service. :patriot:

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got my first one when home on leave from Bragg in 85 did it as a resident with my mom's address and had them mail It too NC. They said no problem. If I was you I would do it as a WA resident. You don't have to change your DL or anything, your just using a lewis address. No big deal.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Derizen wrote:
My wife and I are looking to get our CPLs for WA. I'm active duty military, and we're in Tacoma. Any suggestions on whether we should go to the city PD or county Sheriff's Office?

What kind of documentation do they want to "provide proof you have lived in the state for at least the last 90 days"? Would my military orders count for this, or should I show them a lease? I already have to show them my orders "If you’re in the military, your military ID and orders listing your station location." We are not WA residents. We are AZ residents, but don't have CPLs for AZ, because there you don't need any paperwork whatsoever to carry open or concealed.

We're not really in a hurry, just wanted to get the process started.

Take a copy of your orders... If you are perm duty station(that's what cg calls it) then you are a wa resident. Also allows you to buy pistols here. Even if your dl is from say Michigan

Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again, thanks for the info. I have been to range 15. I'd like to find some random outdoors areas where I can shoot for free, and set up my own targets/courses of fire.

Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lewis don't have a rod and gun club? They used to. Every ft./base I have been on of any size did. Go ask the soilder support/ outdoor rec folks

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Derizen wrote:
Again, thanks for the info. I have been to range 15. I'd like to find some random outdoors areas where I can shoot for free, and set up my own targets/courses of fire.

check out the shooting map in light grey below the WAGUN banner at the top of the page. If you know a spot not posted PM Massivedesign

Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Took 30 exactly to get the cpl for myself and the wife. I'm resident. Wife not. Long story. She keeps her home state add Texas and a travel nurse and online school...

We went to sultan to get it done

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Derizen wrote:

From Tacoma you might want to check out the Elbe location (my personal favorite for about the last 10 years). It is within an hour of Tacoma, just go down Pac ave and keep on going. I go out there just about every weekend during the summer if I am not hiking, and can show you where it is.

Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My wife and I both got ours as residents. You do not have to change your residency to do so. I don't know how getting it as a nonresident will affect your ability to buy and take home a pistol same day. You may want to research that before you go nonresident. +1 on the get to LESA early.

Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]