Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:03 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Do WA ranges allow 10+ round magazines, threaded barrels? 

In your experience, do privately owned ranges in Washington State allow recreational shooters to use

(1) pistols with threaded barrels, such as a CZ Czechmate with a compensator, and
(2) magazines with a capacity of greater than ten rounds?

I am pretty sure that I understand Washington law in relation to the above, but I also get that privately owned businesses get to make their own rules, and I'd like to get a sense of what to expect.

Thank you.

Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ownership (being grandfathered - meaning you had these items before the ban) is totally legal to have and use.

We have not heard of ranges that are checking an impossible means of verifying dates on an item that really can’t be dated (within reason).

Also applies for self defense and carry with CPL - means you can use what you already had and are not limited to 10 rounds in magazine (yet).

I am no lawyer so take this with a lot of self research and apply to what you are needing.

But clearly if you are new to firearms and you recently purchased a handgun recently which only comes with a max 10 round magazine. It’s a bit tough but not impossible to say you had those magazines before the ban. You would most likely have to prove that you owned them before. Versus I have had my firearm for 20 years and those are before the ban etc.

OP - welcome to WaGuns!

So bottom line - yes you can use them legally (if you had them before the ban) but it takes a bit more to fully understand the situation and apply the current ban etc.

Lastly, yes private business can make their own rules. Most ranges won’t as it would be bad for business and no positives for them to ask those questions or interfere with your Rights (legally). But again we have not heard of any ranges with these rules.

Is there a range that is thinking to do so?

Thu Jun 15, 2023 3:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The typical things ranges worry about are:

- caliber (depends on range and situation, sometime the big boom is not so welcome indoors)
- drawing from your holster and firing (some ranges like to qualify you for this)
- type of shell casing metal (same ranges only allow brass for example)

Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

As a president of a range, we don’t care about those items. Shoot safely, shoot often.

Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:51 pm
Profile WWW

without_realness wrote:
In your experience, do privately owned ranges in Washington State allow recreational shooters to use

(1) pistols with threaded barrels, such as a CZ Czechmate with a compensator, and
(2) magazines with a capacity of greater than ten rounds?

I am pretty sure that I understand Washington law in relation to the above, but I also get that privately owned businesses get to make their own rules, and I'd like to get a sense of what to expect.

Thank you.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Most WA ranges are run by bedwetters and Fudds, the kind that lose their fecal continence if you even MENTION AR's or serious self-defense training never mind try to actually DO either. :(

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Thu Jun 15, 2023 6:03 pm

oldkim wrote:
Ownership (being grandfathered - meaning you had these items before the ban) is totally legal to have and use.

We have not heard of ranges that are checking an impossible means of verifying dates on an item that really can’t be dated (within reason).

Also applies for self defense and carry with CPL - means you can use what you already had and are not limited to 10 rounds in magazine (yet).

I am no lawyer so take this with a lot of self research and apply to what you are needing.

But clearly if you are new to firearms and you recently purchased a handgun recently which only comes with a max 10 round magazine. It’s a bit tough but not impossible to say you had those magazines before the ban. You would most likely have to prove that you owned them before. Versus I have had my firearm for 20 years and those are before the ban etc.

OP - welcome to WaGuns!

So bottom line - yes you can use them legally (if you had them before the ban) but it takes a bit more to fully understand the situation and apply the current ban etc.

Lastly, yes private business can make their own rules. Most ranges won’t as it would be bad for business and no positives for them to ask those questions or interfere with your Rights (legally). But again we have not heard of any ranges with these rules.

Is there a range that is thinking to do so?

I share your understanding that pre-ban mags and pre-ban threaded barrels are grandfathered. My question is on behalf of a friend... who might have, possibly, very recently moved to Washington State.

Thanks for the welcome!

Thu Jun 15, 2023 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, they would fall into the importing of said items. Even if they had purchased their firearm 10 years ago.

Those items would fall into that trap.

I will defer

But say again those ranges would not be checking dates etc

Ranges may ask for ID and log in some of that info and even vehicle in some cases but they may only ask what range (outdoor rifle or pistol range) and maybe what caliber you are shooting. I haven’t run across one that asks for model and/or serial number of firearm and what accessories it may or not have on it.

If there is one asking then please let us know and I would recommend finding a new one.

Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:44 pm

As an RSO at one of the ranges in the state of Washington, we don't check if you owned the magazine or barrel before you couldn't buy them. That is for others to "worry" about. I do include in my safety briefing that NFA weapons need to have the paperwork with them, and that certain NFA weapons (automatic and sawed off shotguns) are illegal for us mere peons to own in this state, so please don't bring them to the range.

Sat Oct 28, 2023 10:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWShooter wrote:
As an RSO at one of the ranges in the state of Washington, we don't check if you owned the magazine or barrel before you couldn't buy them. That is for others to "worry" about. I do include in my safety briefing that NFA weapons need to have the paperwork with them, and that certain NFA weapons (automatic and sawed off shotguns) are illegal for us mere peons to own in this state, so please don't bring them to the range.
There are legal, peon-owned machineguns in WA. Had to get 'em before, IIRC, 1986.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 28, 2023 7:46 pm

1811GNR wrote:
NWShooter wrote:
There are legal, peon-owned machineguns in WA. Had to get 'em before, IIRC, 1986.

Sent from my SM-T878U using Tapatalk

I wanna say it was '94 under Lousy Lowry--a high-school classmate's dad owned a Form 4'ed and grandfathered Thompson.

What have YOU done to defend your gun rights against the idiots in DC and Olympia today?

Sun Oct 29, 2023 4:27 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

As president of a large range, we don’t care about that. It’s not illegal to own a threaded barrel or a standard capacity magazine.

Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Hey, quick side question:
Does anyone here happen to be the president of a large range around here? Thanks in advance!

Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:27 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

DGM33 wrote:
Hey, quick side question:
Does anyone here happen to be the president of a large range around here? Thanks in advance!

I know a few.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]