Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Europe vs USA 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just got back from a 3 week trip to Greece and Italy, it was interesting having to go that long without carrying.

I saw at least 5 actual incidents of pick-pocketing and also several strong-arm thefts (mostly purse and cellphone snatching). I witnessed some tourists on a side street being coralled and hassled by a group of local youths. We had a very aggressive taxi driver get nasty with us and he essentially threatened to hold us hostage if we didn't agree to his $150 private tour, luckily he eventually let us out of his cab.

There were several times I wish I had been carrying and once when I was very concerned for the safety of myself and my wife. In my research for and during the trip I found and was told that it is better to avoid dealing with Greek and Italian police unless you get physically harmed and that even if you get robbed and need a report for insurance unless it's very expensive don't bother. I witnessed firsthand how cowed the citizens of these 2 countries were and how they just meekly accept strong-arm crime and abuse from the authorities as common-place.

It really opens your eyes about how good we have it here and what we stand to lose.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I felt the same way when I went to CA last year.

Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Alpine wrote:
Just got back from a 3 week trip to Greece and Italy, it was interesting having to go that long without carrying.
. . .
In my research for and during the trip I found and was told that it is better to avoid dealing with Greek and Italian police unless you get physically harmed and that even if you get robbed and need a report for insurance unless it's very expensive don't bother. I witnessed firsthand how cowed the citizens of these 2 countries were and how they just meekly accept strong-arm crime and abuse from the authorities as common-place.

Having lived in Italy for 8 months when I was a junior in college, I can attest to that. The police there are almost as corrupt as the police in Mexico. The Italian federal police, the Carabinieri, had a reputation for using excessive physical force when taking suspects into custody. Even fully cooperative suspects were known to take a club to the face or a knee to the ribs. I just learned to avoid them whenever possible. I think that's pretty sound advice when in any foreign country.

We are definitely fortunate to still have most of our natural right to self-defense intact.

Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]