Switch to full style
This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

CCing in school buildings?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:21 pm

Got a short story.

Today I took my daughter to do her kindergarten assessment. I noticed a guy there carrying concealed in the building. At the time I didn't think to much of it. I wasn't sure what the law is on it. Needless to say It bugged me all day. Had to look it up according to RCW 9.41.280 its not allowed in the buildings unless your law enforcement. If I'm wrong please let me know.

My question is how should I approach the situation next time? What is a good tactful way to find out if he is L.E.? If he's not how to let him know he is in the wrong? Am I being over sensitive cause it's my kids school?

Also mods if i put this thread in the wrong place please move it.

Re: CCing in school buildings?

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:40 pm

dlap wrote:Got a short story.

Today I took my daughter to do her kindergarten assessment. I noticed a guy there carrying concealed in the building. At the time I didn't think to much of it. I wasn't sure what the law is on it. Needless to say It bugged me all day. Had to look it up according to RCW 9.41.280 its not allowed in the buildings unless your law enforcement. If I'm wrong please let me know.

My question is how should I approach the situation next time? What is a good tactful way to find out if he is L.E.? If he's not how to let him know he is in the wrong? Am I being over sensitive cause it's my kids school?

Also mods if i put this thread in the wrong place please move it.

I believe that if you are dropping them off or picking them up it is ok according to RCW 9.41.280.

(3) Subsection (1) of this section does not apply to:

(e) Any person in possession of a pistol who has been issued a license under RCW 9.41.070, or is exempt from the licensing requirement by RCW 9.41.060, while picking up or dropping off a student;

So probably very grey area if they are attending a function. Since you are staying for a period of time it might not be considered dropping or or picking up.

IMHO: I could care less if they have a CCW because I probably have mine on too. The statistics say he is probably not going to turn into a active shooter if he is attending a function for his kid.

Good for you being aware of your surroundings. That takes practice and not many people take the time to catch things like how they walk, sway their arms or adjust their clothes. Hell, just ask someone to video you going into Starbucks or a grocery store with a CCW. Then replay it and see if you see any tells.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:44 pm

Personally, id use my judgement and leave it alone if everything else seems normal. I am not the enforcer of laws. If i feel something is wrong id keep an eye on his location and inform someone whose job is to stick their nose into trouble. Last thing i would want is a hand vs gun battle in a school.

And if i been reading up correctly, u cant be chilling around with a gun on campus. Just picking up or dropping off and you must have a cpl. Or u will die.

Ianal.

Ianal.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:49 pm

My $.02:

Print off a copy of the RCW, fold it up, and put it in your wallet. Next time you see him (or someone else you think is carrying concealed), give him the copy with a non-accusing comment such as "Don't know if this applies to you or not, but just thought you'd like to know." That assumes you're comfortable with what he's doing - if not, call 911 and report him. Trust your gut.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:58 pm

Don't flame me.

Do you call 911 for anyone speeding on the freeway? Do you pull up to them and let them know it is 60 not 78 in that specific area? Even if someone is speeding does that mean you can be less attentive?

The reason I ask is because cars kill more people every day than anyone father attending a school function for their son or daughter with a CCW. It doesn't mean you can be less attentive or not be observent.

If I felt it was my position in life to tell a LEO everytime I saw someone breaking a law I would never be able to get from point A to B. Hell i jay walked in front of 4 cops Monday night and they didn't stop me. I was Open Carring my G21 too. Not a peep. And that is a big no no in Seattle.

I ask myself this, do I feel comfortable carring in this same place and maybe the law is a little skewed? Yes. Technically not legal if I am staying for an event but why give it up if you are really concealing it.

This is not a jab, just questioning the thought process. I hope my logic isn't far off from the norm.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:17 am

Well shit let me make it clear I'm not some citizen cop wanna be.

I do appreciate the advice. I'm only asking because i don't have a whole lot of tact when i talk to people and come across as a a-hole.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:12 am

dlap wrote:Got a short story.

What is a good tactful way to find out if he is L.E.?

Does he have a mustache? If yes, cop.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:55 am

dlap wrote:Well shit let me make it clear I'm not some citizen cop wanna be.

I do appreciate the advice. I'm only asking because i don't have a whole lot of tact when i talk to people and come across as a a-hole.

cause ya are lol

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:06 am

read the whole RCW. I talked to a lawyer about this very thing a few years ago. I was told to see item 6...

(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

Like many others he may have only read the first part (dropping off/ picking up).

Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:35 am

i think what i would have done was walk up to him and let him know that he is printing and if someone else saw it they would prob. call the cops and he would be spending some time in the clink. and trust me man with a gun at a school is not a call that cops stay at the donut shop for :bigsmile:

Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:32 am

ok thanks again for the advice guys.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:31 am

When the RCW references picking up or dropping off that means literally picking up (at your car) or dropping off (from your car) and nothing else. If you get out of your vehicle you are now no longer on your own private property (vehicle) and are now on the property of the school where firearms are prohibited.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:56 am

mash man wrote:i think what i would have done was walk up to him and let him know that he is printing and if someone else saw it they would prob. call the cops and he would be spending some time in the clink. and trust me man with a gun at a school is not a call that cops stay at the donut shop for :bigsmile:

+1

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:09 pm

I would leave him alone, don't say anything. If he is acting funny or suspicious then keep an eye on him. When my kid was in school, I never left my gun in the car.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Carry is not allowed in school buildings while they are in the sole/exclusive possession of the school, so unless this was a private entity using the building it is illegal.

As that is said, I would offer the advice and say nothing.
Post a reply