Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Moving to WA with a UT permit... Validity Question 

Hello,

I sent an e-mail to WA's CWL Licensing department, but in case they take a while to get back to me... Do any of you know whether or not my non-resident Utah CCW permit will be valid if I change my residency to WA? Utah says my permit would still be valid when I change addresses, I just have to notify them once I establish residency in a new state, but they are unable to comment on whether WA will recognize it if I become a resident of WA.

I plan on applying for the WA permit once I establish residency, but will have to wait 60 days at most to get the WA CPL. I'm wondering if I'll be able to conceal within those 60 days. If any of you have done this, please let me know if I'll be okay.

Thanks!

Edit: I tried searching, and went through the sticky threads, but didn't find an exact answer.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:thumbsup2:

http://www.atg.wa.gov/concealed-weapon-reciprocity

Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:20 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

welcomewgo

Welcome to Washington !!!!!!!!!!

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks for that!

But ack, I'm not sure what to think though:

"Washington statute RCW 9.41.073(1) (b) requires that once a person becomes a resident of Washington he or she needs to get a Washington concealed pistol license to continue carrying a concealed weapon. To apply for a Washington concealed pistol permit, you need to apply in person at the local law enforcement agency of your Washington residence address. If you have further questions about this please contact local law enforcement."

This sort of sounds like the Utah CCW won't allow me to carry while I wait for the WA CCW? I hope WA responds to their e-mails.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Your Utah endorsement is only good for other states as a Washington resident. Once you change your permanent address to WA you wil need a WA CPL to carry concealed here

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Classic wrote:
Your Utah endorsement is only good for other states as a Washington resident. Once you change your permanent address to WA you wil need a WA CPL to carry concealed here

Not legal advice, and I'm two glasses of wine into the evening - so there's that - but just promptly apply for your WA CPL, carry your Utah permit, and all should be fine. Don't go holding up any liquor stores ...

Welcome to WA. Vote GOP. Write your representative. Pee on some liberals cheerios. If you like to snowboard, look me uuuupppp....

WA should honor the UT permit (not the FL permit, as of a couple years ago) whether you are a WA resident or not. If you were visiting here from say CA, with your UT permit it would be honored. So why if you were a WA resident would it not be honored, particularly while pending a WA permit? Illogical.

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get the WA CPL, it's too easy:
http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry ... _maps.html

Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since "residency" is required in WA for a resident CPL isn't there sort of a waiting period for residency to kick in?

I know that the State expects you to obtain a WA D/L within 30 days of establishing residency but when will they issue a CPL.

Never had that issue arise as I've lived in WA longer than moss. :bigsmile:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:23 am

Welcome to Washington. It could take up to a month to get your CPL, after you apply, depending where and when you apply. Mine took almost five weeks.

Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! We got our CPLs after living here 2 weeks, and they took 8 days to arrive in the mail. Be sure to dispute the 90 day waiting period as a resident. it's not really a "rule".

Yes, it depends...

You can open carry until you get your CPL ;)

Peace,
Michael J.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:16 am

drec wrote:
Welcome to Washington. It could take up to a month to get your CPL, after you apply, depending where and when you apply. Mine took almost five weeks.

Michael_Js wrote:
Welcome! We got our CPLs after living here 2 weeks, and they took 8 days to arrive in the mail. Be sure to dispute the 90 day waiting period as a resident. it's not really a "rule".

Yes, it depends...

You can open carry until you get your CPL ;)

Yeah, I read that it'll be 60 days at most if I establish WA residency then apply. I plan on changing address and applying same or next day. I, personally, don't feel comfortable OC'ing (well, I can only think about it since it's illegal here in CA), but that's a separate topic.

golddigger14s wrote:

Definitely will be applying once I move up and change my address.

leadcounsel wrote:
Classic wrote:

Not legal advice, and I'm two glasses of wine into the evening - so there's that - but just promptly apply for your WA CPL, carry your Utah permit, and all should be fine. Don't go holding up any liquor stores ...

Welcome to WA. Vote GOP. Write your representative. Pee on some liberals cheerios. If you like to snowboard, look me uuuupppp....

WA should honor the UT permit (not the FL permit, as of a couple years ago) whether you are a WA resident or not. If you were visiting here from say CA, with your UT permit it would be honored. So why if you were a WA resident would it not be honored, particularly while pending a WA permit? Illogical.

Look at illogical CA, anything can really happen. I'll have to ask the issuing agency when I apply as I just got a link to the reciprocity page on WA's attorney general website when I e-mailed Seattle's sherrif's office.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:57 pm

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license—Reciprocity.
(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:
(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and
(ii) The licensing state requires mandatory fingerprint-based background checks of criminal and mental health history for all persons who apply for a concealed pistol license.
(b) This section applies to a license holder from another state only while the license holder is not a resident of this state. A license holder from another state must carry the handgun in compliance with the laws of this state.
(2) The attorney general shall periodically publish a list of states the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington and which meet the requirements of subsection (1)(a)(i) and (ii) of this section.

It's illogical as Leadcounsel said, but is there something in that sentence I'm missing?

Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Since "residency" is required in WA for a resident CPL isn't there sort of a waiting period for residency to kick in?

I know that the State expects you to obtain a WA D/L within 30 days of establishing residency but when will they issue a CPL.

Never had that issue arise as I've lived in WA longer than moss. :bigsmile:

Keep your CA Drivers license, and carry on with your UT permit until you receive your WA carry permit. Then start using your WA DL and carry permit.
Also, I'm pretty sure there is a non resident permit, so if you come up looking for a house or something prior to moving just apply for that. I doubt LEOs will give a shit if it's resident or not especially if you explain your situation.
Lastly, move to Bothell, my dad's permit was in the mail 2 days after applying. Unreal.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember to buy a handgun you must be a resident. Get a WA DL asap.

Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]