Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 New Shooting scenario... vehicles? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've played the "What If" game for many many different shooting scenarios. From crowded venues, stores, alleys, with family/friends or alone and everything else... except a moving vehicle.

With recent reports around the world and some here in the US about "runaway" vehicles where the driver is using the vehicle as a weapon.

I will say it's a good what if scenario but realistically choices are slim to none that a handgun could or would be a good choice to even deploy in these scenarios.

Distance, angle of fire, glass, moving target and collateral injury are just to high.

Granted if one is in the right place at the right time and does the right thing... but how many times would that happen...

It would be good to know about shooting at car windshield and angle of fire with what caliber but this is just an exercise of the mind.

Just something to think about and "play"

Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I can't sell my Subaru we can take it out for some experimentation. :AR15firing:

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Trench coat and RPG would be my go to.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well yeah, you're not going to stop the momentum of a speeding vehicle with a CCW. You'd need explosives big enough to be as great a danger as the vehicle. Or a much bigger vehicle e.g. a semi truck.

Glass penetration is (according to tests) highly dependent on bullet weight and construction and not so much on pure velocity. One of those "firearm not an AOW" shotguns shooting Brenneke slugs would be perfect, but I don't think a CPL covers those. A Ruger Alaskan snub in .454 throwing 300+ grain solids as your "anti vehicle" BUG? I'm sure someone just might try it...

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think about shooting OUT of a vehicle through a windshield or closed window too.

You also need to think about the scenario of someone armed in a vehicle and their range of fire.

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only viable option to slow down a moving vehicle would seem to be tires, or as many into the engine bay as possible. If your lucky you would hit something vital and kill the rig. I feel if you hit the driver that has a foot to the floor, it would not slow the rig down. Weight of the foot would keep the gas pedal down. Ten rounds into and engine would possibly hit enough electronic items to kill or slow down an engine.

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My following comments are in 100% support of gun ownership and concealed carry; but let's just be realistic.

These truck attacks are tragic around the world, absolutely.

But let's have some perspective - the odds of a vehicle attack like Nice or elsewhere are 0.000000000000000000001%. It's happened only a few times in the news around the world in the last year. Think about every street, every gathering, every city, every vehicle...

The real advice is to simply not stand on crowded city streets making yourself vulnerable to such attacks. That's the easiest "self defense" approach to take.

As for shooting at such vehicles, get out of the way instead. If you're standing to the side of it, you're not even going to have time to draw and fire safely before it passes. Watch this video in Nice of the truck attack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCrhXArKE24

If you were in a safe location (not in danger of being run over), and you had instant awareness that it was an attack (unlikely, but possible), you might be able to draw your weapon in time to watch it drive by and run people over. At that point, running around with a gun has a high chance of YOU being shot as a terrorist.

You also have no idea how complex the attack is. If I saw a vehicle attack, I'm running the other way. There can be an IED (a favorite of these Jihadists), or a secondary complex attack of gunfire or explosions (like in Paris). Google IED videos and watch some of those to see the radius of the detonation. Also, avoid fatal funnels and don't run where the rest of the crowds are running, since complex attacks will draw fish into a barrel, so to speak. These attacks are designed to be rapid, coordinated, and unpredictably violent. There's also going to be a lot of police and military response shooting anyone waving a gun around. Get away from it. FAST.

This isn't like a random act of violence, robbery, etc. where you can defend yourself better.

Now, having said that, if armed folks were on the rooftop during the Charlie Hesbo attacks, they could have put suppressing or effective fire on those AK armed terrorists. But as for truck attacks, it's not going to happen, and just exercise better situational awareness and if it does, get away!

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mosin Nagant. What was the problem?

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]