Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 IWB Holster, not tucking shirt? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats and welcome to concealed carry. Been doing it daily as a civilian since around 2004. I've gone through a lot of holsters and trial and error.

I've settled on the following:
1. 2-3 o'clock IWB, untucked shirt most of the time. I keep it so I can slide it between 2-4 o'clock if need to bend down or make an unusual movement, or sit.
2. Cross draw weak side 10 o'clock while sitting or driving long periods of time.
3. Open OWB or should holster carry around the house for convenience when standing, sitting, doing stuff, etc. just often more convenient.

Appendix carry like that sucks balls. Right on/under/near your kindeys. Terrible for standing for the lower back, and terrible for sitting. Will bang on things. Drawing is impossible. You cannot tell easily if it's exposed or printing from behind (sometimes it will look like there's a large tumor on your kindey) and the body isn't shaped for it. Your lower back isn't supposed to have a big bulge on one side. If you fall on that side, you risk increased injury (NEVER carry small of back for spinal injury risks). And someone can come up from behind you and disarm you. Not a good day.

That OP picture is Open Carry - since it's plainly exposed. In some other states it might be considered illegal if they don't allow open carry and only concealed carry with a license.

The OP picture is the disadvantage of both concealed carry (IWB discomfort) and open carry (exposed).

Untuck your shirt or utilize your tuckable holster, as you said. I've tried tuckable holsters, and let me save you the hassle. They suck. If you think of the number of times you have to tuck it in, and the slow-ness of doing it, and the slowness of drawing, it's just impractical for daily carry like that.

I wear untucked shirts daily. Except with business attire, and untucked shirt is quite attractive and fashionable - moreso than a tucked in shirt IMO. Tucked in looks far too stiff and rigid and goofy, except with a dress outfit or suit that mandates a tucked in dress shirt.

A tucked in flannel shirt - um, no. I like the look and feel of loose fitting shirts and pants. Not baggy, but loose.

Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Hm yeah, well due to wanting to shoot in conceal carry matches at custer I ended up changing location to around 3:30 just behind my front pocket.

The thing is I wear dress clothes 5 days a week, so it has to be tucked in shirt dress shirt and dress pants.

The thing is, this alien gear IWB is EXTREMELY comfy, its not bad at all. The entire weekend I wore it even when around house from when I woke up until I went to sleep @ the 3:30 position. I also lowered the holster, so less of the pistol is exposed by 1/2" or so. All my pants fit loose, as I dropped 6" on my waist.

Im planning on getting a safariland ALS style holster for my glock when I want to open carry. Atleast that way there is some secondary retention that only I can activate. I was looking at GLS but that looks too easy for someone else to grab, as if your pulling on the grip, the button still releases the weapon.

Oh, I should also add, that I do not own a single flannel shirt, that was a plaid dress shirt made of cotton/polyester, not flannel.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2