Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think we have :beatdeadhorse5:

Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:21 pm

Some good things to think about.

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry strong side(left) wallet weak side(right). I still inform the officer that I am carrying a firearm and what side of my body it is as well as my wallet. I've never had an issue with it. They've just asked me not to touch it. If my weapon is not on my in the vehicle it's either locked in a box or in my center console. And all my paper work is in a zipper pouch I have attached to my visor so I know where it is and easy access

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
I've studied this a bit, and have been stopped twice while carrying. Both times went off without an issue. Both times, I informed the officer I had a CPL and gun in the car and they told me not to touch it. Here's my takeaway.

Do: Hands on steering wheel or outside the car window until instructed otherwise. Communicate and be courteous and polite and respectful, "Yes sir, no sir." Put the car in park, and preferably turn it off and put the keys on the dash. Your goal is to put the officer at ease and show you are not a threat.

Do NOT: Touch your gun. At all. Do NOT fiddle with the glove box, console compartment, unbuckle yours seat belt or get out of the car. An officer who sees you leaning over and going to the glove box will assume you are getting a weapon or hiding something illegal.

Here's what I do. I use my turn signal and move over off as far on the shoulder or preferably a non-busy parking lot or side street as soon as practical. I put the vehicle in park and turn it off. I put my hands outside the window or on the steering wheel so he can see I am not doing anything threatening. I speak respectfully. I take all commands, and tell him "I am a CPL holder and am carrying or it's in the vehicle in the glove box..." I make no movements until instructed, and then I communicate. "The registration is in the glove box, and that's where my weapon is." Or whatever. I try to never use the word "Gun" since that is a trigger word cops find threatening. If I think that my weapon is too close to the location, like I'm carrying next to my wallet, I tell him and ask how he wants me to handle that situation. I might even suggest that he disarm me or whatever. I haven't gotten to that point yet.

But whatever you do, fully communicate and be slow and methodical. Do not place the officer in any fear since traffic stops are quite dangerous for them. For God's sake never touch your gun.

This exactly! The officer needs to believe that you aren't a threat. I've been stopped a couple times and always disclosed the location of the weapon. Once the officer asked if he could hold the pistol and verify as not stolen, which I had no problem with.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

todd1803 wrote:
Once the officer asked if he could hold the pistol and verify as not stolen, which I had no problem with.

Next time ask "Do you have reasonable suspicion that it is?" Chances are he may loose interest in doing so at that point.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:07 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

What if the officer wanted everyone to consent to a cavity search to determine you're not a threat?
Would you have a problem with that?
Reasonable Articulable Suspicion, Probable Cause, or a Search Warrant.

Not a hunch, guess, or just to show the cop 'you aren't a threat'.

todd1803 wrote:
This exactly! The officer needs to believe that you aren't a threat. I've been stopped a couple times and always disclosed the location of the weapon. Once the officer asked if he could hold the pistol and verify as not stolen, which I had no problem with.

Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
What if the officer wanted everyone to consent to a cavity search to determine you're not a threat?
Would you have a problem with that?
Reasonable Articulable Suspicion, Probable Cause, or a Search Warrant.

Not a hunch, guess, or just to show the cop 'you aren't a threat'.

todd1803 wrote:
This exactly! The officer needs to believe that you aren't a threat. I've been stopped a couple times and always disclosed the location of the weapon. [b]Once the officer asked if he could hold the pistol and verify as not stolen, which I had no problem with.[/b]

Oh, hell no!

Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been stopped three times, while armed. Never got a ticket on any of the stops.

As I said in another thread, if I am stopped...

I have my wallet in my shirt pocket.
I have my window down.
Engine is turned off, and I am pulled as far over as I can safely get.
I have my hands on the steering wheel. Until told otherwise. Then they go back anyway.

I am courteous. I am respectful. and I am honest.

But I offer no information that I am not asked for. I do not tell them I have a CPL, or that I am armed.

Two of those stops, nothing was ever mentioned about the gun.

One of those stops was on I5 south of Olympia. The officer took my info, and went to his car. When he came back he said he noticed I have a CPL, and asked if I was armed. I told him I was, and told him where it was located. He said, just don't reach for it, and we finished our little talk. He gave me my papers back, and let me go...

Be courteous. Show respect even if the officer is the most disrespectful person you have ever met. And you will usually at least eventually, receive the same in return. Sometimes you just draw the worst officer available. If so, show respect anyway, and end up driving away, lucky that it didn't turn into something worse than a ticket.

Be confrontational. Demand your "rights". Be disrespectful... And don't be surprised if you get a bigger dose of the same, in return.

It's common sense. They are the officer of the law. If you turn it into a confrontation, everything is in their favor. You have to be really stupid to turn it into a confrontation.

Funny thing is, the officer that stopped me south of Olympia, was acting like a real butt, at first. I was calm, courteous and respectful. And before he even went back to his car the first time, he was already calming down.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:

Be courteous. Show respect even if the officer is the most disrespectful person you have ever met.

There is always a way to deal with officers like that AFTER he goes. You can file a complaint with his department and chances are you won't be the only one. Unless it's a three man department where all officers are related, you can rest assured that there will be a counseling session and maybe even a career change in his future.

The LAST place to deal with it is on the side of the road during the stop.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
Selador wrote:

Be courteous. Show respect even if the officer is the most disrespectful person you have ever met.

There is always a way to deal with officers like that AFTER he goes. You can file a complaint with his department and chances are you won't be the only one. Unless it's a three man department where all officers are related, you can rest assured that there will be a counseling session and maybe even a career change in his future.

The LAST place to deal with it is on the side of the road during the stop.

Exactly!

I've been trying to put my finger on, (put words to), something that I have seen happening more and more. Even here on this forum.

One of the elements is, people who have little to no 'power', (or who THINK they don't.), pushing buttons, insulting, pushing extreme viewpoints. In a nutshell, fomenting confrontation at every opportunity... And continuing to do so even after it becomes clear just how destructive this is, not just for others, but for themselves as well.

Put as simply as I can at this point...

There's a rattlesnake, or a rabid dog in front of you.

What are you going to do? I mean aside from, in real life, you'd shoot it...

These people run up to it and start kicking. And they'll continue kicking, even after getting bitten themselves, and after people die. Because of some twisted sense of "rights", "public outrage", or simply "making their point".

It's like they have no common sense when it comes to social interaction.

They are entitled to their opinion. Ok, I get that, and completely agree. No matter how stupid the opinion... But they think that that entitlement extends deep into forcing that opinion on others, regardless of method of force, and/or enforcement, and regardless of consequence.

And this phenomenon is happening across the complete swath of Americana. Rich, poor, genius, utter moron, it doesn't matter...

Worse, they'll push two completely opposite opinions at the same time. And never stop to think not only of the carnage, but of the complete ridiculousness of pushing two opposite opinions to the point that people on both sides are being damaged.

It's like the majority of society is a toddler, with ALL the obstinance, narcissism, lack of respect, and lack of conscience that a toddler has... That has JUST learned the word "No". And the 'power' of a foot, stamped, or a tantrum, thrown. Only most of them are old enough to know how to disguise most of that tantrum in 'adult' terms, pretense, obfuscation and deflection.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:06 am

Family friend was a police officer. He told me:

1. Pull over as far as possible
2. Engine off, car in park, foot off the brake, keys out of the ignition, turn the interior light on.
3. Be respectful but don't answer any question that you do not have to and do not offer any information.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:34 pm

I've had two vehicle stops since I began carrying. One, the officer told me it's a good idea to inform, the other didn't even ask me for CPL...

The same Government that considers the Founding Fathers 'Terrorists, is the same Government the Founding Fathers warned us against…

MEMBER; NRA, SAF, GOA, Lewis County Oath Keepers,

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm basically in the same camp as leadcounsel.. The last thing you want is for the officer to find a nasty surprise... So I err on the side of disclosure...

Certainly if you need to open the glove compartment to get registration/insurance and there is a gun in there, you best be having a chat with the officer before you reach for the latch...

Certainly if you're asked to get out of the car for any reason, you damn well want to make sure the officer knows you are carrying since they will shortly find it anyways when they search your person.

Outside of that, it's pretty much on the individual to do what they think is best...

Full disclosure has always worked pretty well for me... Then again I'm lily white... Might not work so well for those folks driving while black...

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry on my left hip, and keep my wallet in my right front pocket so that my left hand isn't fishing around. I always turn car off, overhead light on, hands on steering wheel.

I've done some ride-alongs with different departments, and I've noticed that the officers will rapidly get out of their car and alertly approach the stopped vehicle. They are leaving very very little time for the driver to "get ready" - whether that means registration out of the glove box or getting out a gun (if you have bad intentions).

Therefore, I would be fishing around in my glove box as the officer approaches. Not a good idea. I speak to them first with my hands on my steering wheel, then tell them where I'm reaching and why before I move.

I haven't been stopped in the last 4 years since I got my CCW, so don't know how it will go down. All the officers I've asked have said that if I'm not acting really strange, they don't disarm a CCW holder. Disarming isn't part of their routine traffic stop.

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next