Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Traffic Stops while Armed. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"He asked for my magazine... "
Sorry, no thank you. I do not consent to touching my weapon while you are present without a warrant. Here is my DL/reg/ins, thank you.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd do what he tells me to do. That way, I wouldn't get shot.

If he told me to do something wrong, I'd do it, then sue him.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:27 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:
Sorry, no thank you. I do not consent to touching my weapon while you are present without a warrant. Here is my DL/reg/ins, thank you.

Yup. I could have been a dick, but he could have then pulled me out and taken my gun for the duration of the stop. Which, under Terry, they are allowed to do.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:59 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

Yup. I could have been a dick, but he could have then pulled me out and taken my gun for the duration of the stop. Which, under Terry, they are allowed to do.

This is exactly why I said he was looking to see how you would react.

React like a butthead, and you'd probably get treated like a butthead who has a gun...

React with respect, and he left it at that.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
If you're pulled over, don't go rummaging for ANYTHING including your wallet.
Don't get out of the car. Never say "I HAVE A GUN!" Don't touch your gun, don't move your gun.

Put your driver's window down, turn your engine off, then put both hands on the wheel.

The officer might not ask you for DL/insurance/rego. He might just want to tell you you have a tail light out, or maybe want to check out your car....

If he asks for DL/insurance/rego, tell him where they are eg "they're in the glove box/my wallet/visor" and wait for an ok.

If you feel so inclined you can include your CPL with the papers you hand him/her. But that's up to you.

If you have a gun in the glove compartment with your DL/insurance/rego, say "I am a CPL holder and my firearm is in the glovebox with my license, what would you like me to do?".

If your gun is in its holster there is no need to say anything, unless you are going to put your hands near it. If your holster is the same side as your wallet, I'd also tell him that. "Sir, I'm a CPL holder, and my firearm is on the same side as my wallet, is it ok if I get my wallet out?"

Leave everything up to the cop, he'll tell you what he wants to see, when and how.

We live in Washington USA. Most police assume you are armed until proven otherwise. That's why they want you to stay in the vehicle.

I've posted my story before about WSP and informing him about the CPL. I got off without even a warning to slow down, which surprised me since I was doing 75 in a 60 on my way to work. He had a good sense of humor also. Your info is good but the few times I've been stopped by Troopers, they always come to the drivers side so I open both sides.

- Reverend King —“The Purpose of Education” from Morehouse College student newspaper, The Maroon Tiger, 1947

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:
Who the fuck still puts a gun in the glove box?

I do on occasion for long road trips, but that is the only time. It is mo comfy.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Olympia173 wrote:
I was in the passenger seat when a friend of mine was pulled over while carrying concealed, and he handled it very well. He simply left his hands on the steering wheel, and when the officer approached, the first thing he said was "Officer, I'm a CPL holder and I'm carrying a concealed weapon." The police officer asked where the weapon was, my buddy told him, and that was that. I would think that the last thing you would want to do is to fumble around with the weapon. Also, RCW 9.41.050 says:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
I've always been under the impression that to possess a loaded pistol in your vehicle you had to keep it on your person, but (ii) above seems to imply there is an option to store it elsewhere provided you are in the vehicle. Does anyone know for sure?

THANK YOU!!!!

Lots of great posts on this thread.

When I have reason to initiate a traffic stop, I'll tell you EXACTLY what is going through my mind--and the mind of the majority of cops who do traffic:

"Is this the person who is going to try to kill me? What will I do if they try?"

So, when I see someone pull over, shut it down, turn on the interior lights (at night) and hang their hands out of the window or put them on the wheel, my thoughts go to,

"Ah. A CPL holder. That's a relief." In other words, I know that the vast, VAST majority of the time I'm dealing with one of the good folks.

The way you inform the officer is nowhere near as important as what you're DOING at the time.

A quick story:

About 2100 or so, in the fall time. I clock someone going 15 over on an arterial street. I turn on the overheads, they yield. As I am stopping, I note the "I love guns and coffee" sticker. I think, "OK, CPL holder".

The driver is making all the right moves. But...as I approach, I see a double action semiauto, holstered and LAYING ON THE DASHBOARD, OUT IN THE OPEN.

Not cool.

But...what is the totality of the circumstance? The person has their hands visible, the car is off, the lights are on...the possibility is that this person doesn't know what the result COULD be. I was proven right.

The driver, a female, said that someone told her that leaving the gun out in the open was the right thing to do. I got her information, and told her to leave the firearm on the dashboard. I backed away and ran the info through my portable. She was clear, all ways. I handed back the info, and told her the best thing to do was to: (a) slow down, (b) keep her firearm holstered on her person, or if she chose, locked away. I thanked her for handling everything else well, and let her go. Just a warning, no citation.

Another story about body language...

A close friend told me about a stop he made. Car, on a rural road, he's alone. Vehicle pulled over...but he noticed that the guy was watching in the rearview. His hands were out of sight, too.

My friend said that the alarm bells went off. He called for backup, and when backup arrived they got the guy out of the vehicle. So...what did they find?

Car was clear; but the driver was a convicted felon.
The driver had a sawed off .22 rifle in his lap. On the passenger's side, a loaded AR.

What the guy tell my friend he was going to do?

"If you walked up, I was going to shock you with the .22, and finish you with the other rifle."

That's our world, folks.

So...thanks in advance for understanding--and helping us out on those traffic stops.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MorrisWR wrote:
I've posted my story before about WSP and informing him about the CPL. I got off without even a warning to slow down, which surprised me since I was doing 75 in a 60 on my way to work. He had a good sense of humor also. Your info is good but the few times I've been stopped by Troopers, they always come to the drivers side so I open both sides.

Good point, I've had the same experience on 520 and forgot about it.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

guncruiser wrote:
Olympia173 wrote:
I was in the passenger seat when a friend of mine was pulled over while carrying concealed, and he handled it very well. He simply left his hands on the steering wheel, and when the officer approached, the first thing he said was "Officer, I'm a CPL holder and I'm carrying a concealed weapon." The police officer asked where the weapon was, my buddy told him, and that was that. I would think that the last thing you would want to do is to fumble around with the weapon. Also, RCW 9.41.050 says:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.
I've always been under the impression that to possess a loaded pistol in your vehicle you had to keep it on your person, but (ii) above seems to imply there is an option to store it elsewhere provided you are in the vehicle. Does anyone know for sure?

Yes, you can have it anywhere in the vehicle as long as you are in the vehicle (or your passenger is a CPL holder).

Yes, see (ii) the gun can be anywhere in the vehicle, as long as you are in the vehicle with it.
Effectively there's an OR between each of those options:
Gun on you OR
Gun in the vehicle while you are in the vehicle OR
Gun locked in vehicle and concealed from sight while you are away from vehicle.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Powderman wrote:
A close friend told me about a stop he made. Car, on a rural road, he's alone. Vehicle pulled over...but he noticed that the guy was watching in the rearview. His hands were out of sight, too.

My friend said that the alarm bells went off. He called for backup, and when backup arrived they got the guy out of the vehicle. So...what did they find?

Car was clear; but the driver was a convicted felon.
The driver had a sawed off .22 rifle in his lap. On the passenger's side, a loaded AR.

My last ride along we pulled over a car, similar situation. My buddy showed me where the release button for the 870 was and said "you'll know when to use that".
The guy in the car was very jumpy, and I think he had a suspended license. It all worked out ok, but I was freaked out the entire time. You're definitely rolling the dice with each stop. I couldn't do that job.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:39 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Selador wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

This is exactly why I said he was looking to see how you would react.

React like a butthead, and you'd probably get treated like a butthead who has a gun...

React with respect, and he left it at that.

Commonly referred as "Stupid Tax" by LEOs.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Beer Hounds wrote:
BadKarma wrote:
Who the fuck still puts a gun in the glove box?

I do on occasion for long road trips, but that is the only time. It is mo comfy.

I understand but I guess it seems like a 1980's move. Now lock box or locking console is a bit different in my opinion. I still don't 100% sign up for the off body carry.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:07 pm
Profile WWW

I was stopped once with my revolver on the passenger seat in plain sight, loaded. Officer approached from passenger side, i rolled down that window, and with my hands on wheel the entire time i spoke to him as he walked up and instantly saw the pistol on the seat, and without hesitation, immediately put his hand on his holster ready to draw. The next thing he said to this day perplexes me. He told me to "reach over and slowly place the gun on the floor".....

mind you, my hands were already on the wheel the entire time, and he was closer to the gun than I was. He was also already hand to grip ready to draw his and this alarmed me and i asked him again what exactly i was to do, to which he then replied, "just step on outta the car for me and dont reach for anything"

He was shaking and nervous the whole time. This was a Sheriff too. Thoughts on this gents?

Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rapogee wrote:
Thoughts on this gents?

Drive so you don't get stopped.

If you're not white, conceal your weapon for when you do get stopped.

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Jammer Six wrote:
Rapogee wrote:
Thoughts on this gents?

Drive so you don't get stopped.

If you're not white, conceal your weapon for when you do get stopped.

Apparently only white people are rscist. Interesting.......

Troll on 18 wheeler, troll on.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:55 am
Reply to topic   [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next