Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Washington Non-Resident Concealed Carry? 

I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I repeat an earlier question.

I'm from Pennsylvania and will be visiting family in the Seattle area. I have a "License to Carry Firearm" (LTCF) in my state and realize there isn't a reciprocity agreement between our two states.

I do not have time to take a Utah class before visiting family in July and was wondering how one could obtain a temporary carry permit in Washington... or if your state has them available.

Thanks in advance.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to Waguns! How long will you be visiting family?

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Frank Drebin wrote:
I'm new to this forum so please excuse me if I repeat an earlier question.

I'm from Pennsylvania and will be visiting family in the Seattle area. I have a "License to Carry Firearm" (LTCF) in my state and realize there isn't a reciprocity agreement between our two states.

I do not have time to take a Utah class before visiting family in July and was wondering how one could obtain a temporary carry permit in Washington... or if your state has them available.

Thanks in advance.

A "temporary" permit? I'm unaware of such animal unless there is an emergency and the local police chief grants an emergency exception. Never heard of an out of state "temporary" permit, and doubt very much you'd get one because you are visiting.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.070

Two options - pay to get the UT one expedited if possible. Or don't carry here, unfortunately. Seattle is pretty liberal, and King county is not the place to gamble and carry unlawfully.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Contact UT tomorrow, and see if they can expedite it at a higher fee if it's important to you.

You can certainly find an instructor in your area willing to teach the class tomorrow for the right price.

Money always moves mountains.

Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification
3888 West 5400 South
Taylorsville, Utah 84129
(801) 965-4561

http://bci.utah.gov/concealed-firearm/g ... questions/

Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WA has a non-resident permit process, but you need to apply in person. I had a ID driver's license and a WA non-resident CPL with an ID address ( valid in WA and Idaho) for several years before I finally got a WA DL and officially changed residency. Me personally, I'd just carry anyhow regardless if you'e able to obtain a UT CPL. It's a misdemeanor, worst case scenario I'm guessing you'd lose the pistol and get a fine. Don't be retarded and it's a non issue. If you actually needed a pistol, the likelihood of losing the pistol or being charged with no having a WA CPL is irrelevant.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:30 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can always Open Carry

Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:44 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Location: Seattle, Bellevue, Kirkland, Everett, Lynnwood at various times
Massivedesign wrote:

In Seattle? It is legal, but I want to be there with soda and popcorn to watch it. Every other person will be calling in "man with a gun!"

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've oc'd at pike place with no issues prior to obtaining my cpl...people are seriously unaware of surroundings.

Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

guncruiser wrote:
Massivedesign wrote:

In Seattle? It is legal, but I want to be there with soda and popcorn to watch it. Every other person will be calling in "man with a gun!"

No. I do it all the time when I go to Seattle. The only time anyone seems to take notice is if I'm standing at a bus stop long enough for somebody to see.

Wear slacks and a polo or button down shirt, or dark jeans most folks will assume you are security/plainclothes and ignore you completely.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:58 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the subject.

My wife and I will be visiting our two year old granddaughter in Mukilteo for 10 days. (It's sort of funny how your own kids take a back seat once you have grandchildren.) We will also take a side trip to Lopez Island and visit my wife's cousin who she hasn't seen in over 40 years.

We visited the “Center of the Universe” - nice but not impressed – a few years back when our daughter was living there. Tell me does Lenin's left hand still have blood dripping from it? I thought that was a nice touch for such a progressive area.

I realize that Washington is an open carry state but I really don't want to transition between open and concealed since we will be renting a car. I'm also not inclined to break the law (which may be unconstitutional), even a misdemeanor to do so.

I visit USAcarry.com whenever traveling out of state. The website says that Washington requires an in person application and a 90 day waiting period for non-residents. Obviously this won't work... well not for me anyway. I will consider filling out an application for a 5 year non-resident license to carry for our next trip out...

… or I can get my Utah license which will allow me to carry in Delaware which is just down the road a piece where I can do my tax free shopping. That's a win-win.

A few people had questions and I hope I answered them all. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was hoping to carry this time around so maybe I will just bring a collapsible baton instead. :wink05:

FYI - PA Legal side notes:

PA Supreme Court just declared Act 192 “preemption” to be unconstitutional on a technicality. The Senate of the Commonwealth has taken it up to reinstate preemption (SB1330).

Someone was mistaken on another thread regarding Pennsylvania and “no-net loss.” No-net loss has not been passed at this time in PA.

Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can OC in a car without a permit. You just have to unload the gun (i.e. drop the mag out of the mag well and clear the chamber) when you get in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showt ... s-Pamphlet

Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:02 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Frank Drebin wrote:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on the subject.

My wife and I will be visiting our two year old granddaughter in Mukilteo for 10 days. (It's sort of funny how your own kids take a back seat once you have grandchildren.) We will also take a side trip to Lopez Island and visit my wife's cousin who she hasn't seen in over 40 years.

We visited the “Center of the Universe” - nice but not impressed – a few years back when our daughter was living there. Tell me does Lenin's left hand still have blood dripping from it? I thought that was a nice touch for such a progressive area.

I realize that Washington is an open carry state but I really don't want to transition between open and concealed since we will be renting a car. I'm also not inclined to break the law (which may be unconstitutional), even a misdemeanor to do so.

I visit USAcarry.com whenever traveling out of state. The website says that Washington requires an in person application and a 90 day waiting period for non-residents. Obviously this won't work... well not for me anyway. I will consider filling out an application for a 5 year non-resident license to carry for our next trip out...

… or I can get my Utah license which will allow me to carry in Delaware which is just down the road a piece where I can do my tax free shopping. That's a win-win.

A few people had questions and I hope I answered them all. I appreciate everyone's feedback. I was hoping to carry this time around so maybe I will just bring a collapsible baton instead. :wink05:

FYI - PA Legal side notes:

PA Supreme Court just declared Act 192 “preemption” to be unconstitutional on a technicality. The Senate of the Commonwealth has taken it up to reinstate preemption (SB1330).

Someone was mistaken on another thread regarding Pennsylvania and “no-net loss.” No-net loss has not been passed at this time in PA.

I understand your wanting to avoid any legal issues, but OC is better than unarmed. And I am NOT an open carry proponent. But if that's your only option it's your right to do so, why not exercise it? Like the guys said as long as you unload the pistol when entering a vehicle you remain within the law.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:44 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Until a few years ago, the max penalty in WA for carrying without a permit by a non-prohibited person was a $50 fine.
Just another one of those firearm laws that is quietly changed without any fanfare.............
Sometimes you notice that the writing on the big barn wall is somehow different than the last time you walked by.

Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Guntrader wrote:
Until a few years ago, the max penalty in WA for carrying without a permit by a non-prohibited person was a $50 fine.
Just another one of those firearm laws that is quietly changed without any fanfare.............
Sometimes you notice that the writing on the big barn wall is somehow different than the last time you walked by.

But do you think you'll ever get your gun back?

Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next