Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:55 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Printing with iwb 

Latley I have been carrying my Glock 22 just off my right hip about 3:30. The width is not that big of an issue to me as most of my clothes are a bit big due to some weight I lost a while back. I will say that the grip of the pistol does print a little but I kinda don't really care that it does. Should I care that it prints, should I care what people think, or is it just a bad idea to print like that?

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:49 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Personally, I doubt most people will ever notice unless they're looking for it. And if they are, it's a good bet they're carrying too and won't care.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

get a fishing vest or something if you care about printing, or shift down to the G19/G23 size. From a legal standpoint, it doesn't matter. If you're on the eastern side of the cascades, I'd care even less.

*I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice*

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

don't worry, be happy

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I first started carrying concealed (30 years ago), I worried about the same thing.
Now, not so much. Most people are so pre-occupied they are oblivious to their surroundings.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

everett bill wrote:
Most people are so pre-occupied they are oblivious to their surroundings.

There's a lot of truth to this. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How long have you been carrying?
Do you carry everyday or occasionally?

These are important questions.
For those that have been carrying... "printing" is mostly in the mind of the carrier... As mentioned before most people are totally oblivious to others...

For me I have been carrying for over 25 years and I've always carried a pager, phone or something on my hip (palm pilot, etc)...

Being self conscious of your carry is good. It alerts the mind to be in a more constant state of mind of being aware of your surroundings. Once you get over being overly self conscious and start focusing on your surroundings... then you won't even notice you even carry (or printing).

So conversely, obvious printing (wearing skin tight clothing or not long enough, etc)... is another issue.

How you carry, what you carry and where you carry on your body frame (size) all factors into how much you will print.

Bottomline: It's normal to be self conscious about your printing but most people unless it's a gun outlined in clear daylight won't care or even give it a second thought.

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would echo all the comments about people being oblivious. Heck, I stood in line at the grocery store behind a guy OCing a Glock (black gun on loose black clothes) and it took 30secs to register. People have all kinds of things on their waistlines from cell phones to insulin pumps, and no one is going to sit around playing twenty questions with themselves as to what it is.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like someone said a few years ago on a different forum, if someone asks you "what's that under your shirt" just reply "My Colostomy Bag". That'll handle it.

Frankly I could care less about printing or for that matter "peeking" where the bottom of the holster becomes visible when I reach to an upper shelf in the grocery store. Far fewer people than you might think actually give a care.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Meh. I carry a g17 with a surfire tlr1 iwb or a Springfield 1911 owb. If I'm in blue jeans I wear and undershirt and some sort of button up(I like my plad shirts) eliminates most of the printing for me(I can still notice if I turn my body certain directions but I know most other people won't. In shorts or cargo pants I just rock an oversized shirt. Something that looks baggy on someone people won't think twice about folds or wrinkles they see at a glance.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
Something that looks baggy on someone people won't think twice about folds or wrinkles they see at a glance.

At my age "baggy", "folds", and "wrinkles" kind of go with the territory and that's even when I'm 'nekkid' :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i used to print a ton when i carried my p30L but never really cared because people are completely oblivious.

Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even though I agree that most people will never notice, if it bugs you it might be worth downsizing to another piece. Even though I knew it was in my head I was pretty conscious of it, so I picked up a smaller carry gun when the weather got warmer. I've been so much more comfortable knowing that I'm not printing that I don't know if I'll ever go back, even though I love the bigger gun.

Wed May 11, 2016 3:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Groundskeeper Willy wrote:
Even though I agree that most people will never notice, if it bugs you it might be worth downsizing to another piece. Even though I knew it was in my head I was pretty conscious of it, so I picked up a smaller carry gun when the weather got warmer. I've been so much more comfortable knowing that I'm not printing that I don't know if I'll ever go back, even though I love the bigger gun.

If you are worried about "Printing" you haven't been carrying long enough. Carry long enough and you won't even know it's there, open or concealed. It will be as natural as wearing a watch or baseball cap.

Only time one should really worry about printing is if they don't have a CPL or are a prohibited person. In either of those cases you shouldn't be carrying anyway.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 am

How often have you noticed someone printing? Yeah no one really pays attention

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next