Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:33 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thinking of Upsizing? Carry more gun? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those law abiding citizens that do carry (WA CPL)...

I know there has been a lot of talk about LEO's needing to carry off duty.

I also know that folks that do carry are considering to increase or upsize their carry firearm. Either for more capacity and/or larger caliber.

If you carry and have been carrying for some time... I would say consider just carrying what you have been. Continue on!

Changing to another larger framed firearm for capacity/caliber may be a mistake. I mean if you have been used to carrying one firearm for some time (years).
Then getting used to a new larger bulk firearm may defeat why you conceal carry (too heavy, feeling awkward, bulky).

I mean if you have been carrying for years.... it took all those years to finally get used and comfortable with that firearm (holster, placement, etc).
You may also feel confident carrying and deploying it.

Now granted... if you are new or wanting to change - then that's a totally different reason. Also if you are used to carrying different firearms... then that's just everyday for you.

What I would recommend or consider is carry another mag... :thumbsup2:

If you don't carry and have your WA CPL (concealed pistol license)... Please do consider getting started. It may be a slow process but we all started somewhere/sometime.

If you don't have a WA CPL... it's easy! $36 plus fingerprinting fee
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/fafees.html

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wish I could find a good mag pouch. I have yet to find one that works for me, and I don't like carrying my spar mag in my pocket, but better to have and harder to get to, than no spare mag at all.

IMO, this is partly true (obviously I'm not as credentialed as oldkim, so take that with a grain of salt). If someone say carries a G26 and wants to up to a G19 (or 19 to 17) I think that is fine. Same thing with their XD or M&P brothers. Same caliber, same manual of arms, likely the same holster setup may work.

IMO, double stack should always be the default carry, unless dress or circumstance require (or make it prefereable) to only carry single stack. Of course if someone will leave the home without a double stack, but take a single stack, then carry the single.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

+1 on the extra mag. I'm 5'9" with an athletic build. I wear clothes that fit my build, and that makes concealing a double-stack somewhat difficult. I can do it, but it's not ideal. That's why I carry a Shield 9mm (IWB) with a spare mag in my coat or pants pocket. I can conceal both in almost any attire. And I shoot the Shield well, which is a plus. I figure that if I need more than 16 rounds, I'm probably screwed anyway.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
I wish I could find a good mag pouch. I have yet to find one that works for me, and I don't like carrying my spar mag in my pocket, but better to have and harder to get to, than no spare mag at all.

IMO, this is partly true (obviously I'm not as credentialed as oldkim, so take that with a grain of salt). If someone say carries a G26 and wants to up to a G19 (or 19 to 17) I think that is fine. Same thing with their XD or M&P brothers. Same caliber, same manual of arms, likely the same holster setup may work.

IMO, double stack should always be the default carry, unless dress or circumstance require (or make it prefereable) to only carry single stack. Of course if someone will leave the home without a double stack, but take a single stack, then carry the single.

I had the same problem as you until I discovered the Galco Pocket Mag Carrier. https://www.galcogunleather.com/pmc-poc ... _1237.html I carry a 17rnd mag for my G26 (or weather/scenario permitting a G34) with this guy. Works with just about anything except suits with really loose front pockets. Keeps lint out of the magazine too.

This recent flare-up is getting my wife to actually carry more. She used to just carry when going out on CL buys/sells (she runs her own craft business) but now it's going to be more of an EDC deal. If it gets others to do the same, great. If it gets guys to move from a subcompact to a compact, great. If it makes people think they need to CC a Deagle or AR pistol...maybe not so great. icon_eek

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:31 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

oldkim wrote:
I also know that folks that do carry are considering to increase or upsize their carry firearm. Either for more capacity and/or larger caliber.

If you carry and have been carrying for some time... I would say consider just carrying what you have been. Continue on!

Changing to another larger framed firearm for capacity/caliber may be a mistake. I mean if you have been used to carrying one firearm for some time (years).
Then getting used to a new larger bulk firearm may defeat why you conceal carry (too heavy, feeling awkward, bulky).

Wait, what? Did you just say that my Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull is not a good idea?

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
joao01 wrote:

I had the same problem as you until I discovered the Galco Pocket Mag Carrier. https://www.galcogunleather.com/pmc-poc ... _1237.html I carry a 17rnd mag for my G26 (or weather/scenario permitting a G34) with this guy. Works with just about anything except suits with really loose front pockets. Keeps lint out of the magazine too.

This recent flare-up is getting my wife to actually carry more. She used to just carry when going out on CL buys/sells (she runs her own craft business) but now it's going to be more of an EDC deal. If it gets others to do the same, great. If it gets guys to move from a subcompact to a compact, great. If it makes people think they need to CC a Deagle or AR pistol...maybe not so great. icon_eek

I'd actually prefer something on the belt. Just need a J typle clip instead of the ones I have to loop the belt through. I need easy on/off. I liked the SHTF gear horizontal ones, but they poked my muffin top when I sat.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote:
For those law abiding citizens that do carry (WA CPL)...

Although I don't open carry often these days (can't carry at work and don't go out much these days with my huge workload), I'd like to point out that open carry is "law abiding" and does not require a permission slip from or payment to Jay Inslee.

Yes, a CPL can be "convenient" so you don't have to unload when getting into vehicles but open carry is also very convenient for carrying large platforms/calibers.

Another nice feature of open carry is you can't be arrested/fined/ticketed/threatened for printing. I actually saw this happen once in downtown Seattle and the resolution was the citizen agreeing to take off their gun and store it in their car...
Concerns about printing as well as concealed comfort are why people often choose lighter and more ineffectual calibers.

You can also legally "sterile carry" and you are not required to present ID or show the CPL on demand.

Quote:
If you don't carry and have your WA CPL (concealed pistol license)... Please do consider getting started. It may be a slow process but we all started somewhere/sometime.

If you don't have a WA CPL... it's easy! $36 plus fingerprinting fee
http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/fafees.html

I have a CPL but I resent having to get it, I wish WA would go Constitutional Carry. The data shows there is no significant crime surge accompanying Constitutional Carry.

I have nothing against concealed carry, the fee and registering myself with the state is what drives me nuts, along with anti-gun jurisdictions going the max 30 days even when they don't need to or even going over it with no penalty. Just imagine a NJ-style "may issue" system. KCSO and SPD would never apply any permit, ever!

How long until WA libs start using the CPL list and WA handgun registry to do confiscations like Buffalo, NY police are now doing?
http://www.wgrz.com/story/news/local/do ... /18741131/

We have yet to see the fallout from this section of 594 as police start linking obituary databases with the CPL database:
Quote:
(g) A person who (i) acquired a firearm other than a pistol by
operation of law upon the death of the former owner of the firearm or
(ii) acquired a pistol by operation of law upon the death of the
former owner of the pistol within the preceding sixty days. At the
end of the sixty-day period, the person must either have lawfully
transferred the pistol or must have contacted the department of
licensing to notify the department that he or she has possession of
the pistol and intends to retain possession of the pistol
, in
compliance with all federal and state laws.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

solyanik wrote:
oldkim wrote:

Wait, what? Did you just say that my Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull is not a good idea?

I hope not! I've been carrying my Raging Bull 454 for the last month! Although I do have to admit the S&W 638 w/IWB was much more comfortable today then the chest rig I've been wearing all hunting season :bigsmile:

Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take your pick.
I have been a fly on the wall to conversations with medical examiners, ER nurses, funeral directors, and police officers who have all agreed that the size of the hole is not important.
They all admitted they cannot tell the difference in the entrance wound from a .32ACP and a .44 magnum without "digging" into the wound.
It is shot placement.
Having a huge caliber is great.
Having a lot of bullets is great.
But, it will not matter if you cannot put a round on target to get the attacker to stop attacking.
Below is what I gravitate toward for carry.
Seven rounds of .45 that I know I can put into the box.
Five rounds of .38 that I know I can put into the box.
Low capacity, but that is what the extra magazine and speed strip are for.
I do not believe I will be in a prolonged firefight.
That is simply the reality as a non-LEO or non-combatant.
As such, I do not have the duty to continue the fight.
I have the ability to extricate myself from the situation.
That is really all I require for myself.

"For I have always lived violently, drunk hugely, eaten too much or not at all, slept around the clock or missed two nights of sleeping, worked too hard and too long in glory, or slobbed for a time in utter laziness. I’ve lifted, pulled, chopped, climbed, made love with joy and taken my hangovers as a consequence, not as a punishment."
-- John Steinbeck
"Experience is one thing you can't get for nothing."
-- Oscar Wilde
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one."
-- Marcus Aurelius
"Now I'm off to check out Drew's dick."
-- MadPick

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bhpdrew wrote:
Take your pick.
I have been a fly on the wall to conversations with medical examiners, ER nurses, funeral directors, and police officers who have all agreed that the size of the hole is not important.
They all admitted they cannot tell the difference in the entrance wound from a .32ACP and a .44 magnum without "digging" into the wound.
It is shot placement.
Having a huge caliber is great.
Having a lot of bullets is great.
But, it will not matter if you cannot put a round on target to get the attacker to stop attacking.
Below is what I gravitate toward for carry.
Seven rounds of .45 that I know I can put into the box.
Five rounds of .38 that I know I can put into the box.
Low capacity, but that is what the extra magazine and speed strip are for.
I do not believe I will be in a prolonged firefight.
That is simply the reality as a non-LEO or non-combatant.
As such, I do not have the duty to continue the fight.
I have the ability to extricate myself from the situation.
That is really all I require for myself.

Excellent post, well thought out.

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:15 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

+1 for a pocket mag holster. I use the DeSantis:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/793183 ... Auz28P8HAQ

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sticky brand makes a soft mag holder too. I like their neoprene holsters; at least for my j-frame. It can go in a front pocket or in the belt...no metal clip on the holster.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
hkcavalier wrote:
joao01 wrote:

I'd actually prefer something on the belt. Just need a J typle clip instead of the ones I have to loop the belt through. I need easy on/off. I liked the SHTF gear horizontal ones, but they poked my muffin top when I sat.

If you are looking for an on the belt, clip on mag carrier, and dont care for SHTF, try the MagHolder horizontal style. I have one for evey pistol I carry. I typically wear the mag in the strong-side appendix position and draw with my support hand, but I can and do wear them on the left opposite my pistol with ease

http://www.magholder.com/

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the Drew plan. Carry more guns. plural.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also agree with Drew. I carry either my 1911 or T9, both single stacks, with a spare mag on my belt (and sometimes another in my coat pocket just for options), but I am not looking to engage anyone that I do not need to. My objective is to remove myself from the situation, and the weapon is to defend myself as required while doing so. Period.
If you are running into a fight with only a pistol, you are in trouble to begin with. There is a reason militaries fight with rifles after all!

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next