Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Does anyone know... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

where I could go to practice my draw from my FlashBang bra holster, with the 26 actually loaded? So far I've only been able to practice, dryfire, at home. It would be nice to practice with the 26 loaded. WCA is out, but maybe someone knows of another range that maybe has ladies-only nights with female RO's?

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most ranges are hesitant to allow drawing from a holster and I suspect they'll be even less interested in drawing from one that isn't a familiar on-belt version. You may need to find an outdoor pit or somewhere...less traveled...to give it a go. If you find a place, I'd be interested to hear about it. I'd like to get some additional practice with mine, too.

I'm not even familiar with any local ranges that have a female RSO so have no help to offer, I'm afraid.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most places will allow you draw from a holster but you have to be cleared to do so prior. I'm assuming that you asked at wca since you said they are out. I'm curious if the problem there is that you muzzle sweep the people around you drawing from flashbang type holster.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:27 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

It's a several hour trek from Bellevue, but the range outside Lake Chelan has 3-4 outdoor pistol bays, each at least 12' wide, with thick concrete freeway barriers stacked to a height of about 8' on each side. Once you step in there, you'd have full frontal privacy, and the RSOs we've dealt with were never dictatorial (no steel ammo, though, for fire prevention). More info at: http://www.chelangunclub.com/index.htm.
:wavey:

Synopsis of Rules for Radicals: http://www.crossroad.to/Quotes/communism/alinsky.htm
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds" - Bob Marley
104th Division Image Timberwolves

Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:47 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...have you tried asking member Monica Cowles? She is a womans firearm instructor, maybe she might know where to go.

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7877

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:10 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

You'll shoot your eye out kid

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

never_too_much wrote:
I'm curious if the problem there is that you muzzle sweep the people around you drawing from flashbang type holster.

No, it was that they just don't have the privacy or female RSO's available required to access a FlashBang holstered gun from the holster. I may go with Doc Nugent's suggestion, will definitely contact Monica. I don't think that my draw is seriously compromised by just being able to practice dryfiring at home, If you do it right, you never muzzle sweep even yourself. I just want to see how my accuracy is with live fire drawn from this holster.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That sounds like a very uncomfortable place for a holster. I can't even envision how that would work.
I guess I need to look that one up. icon_eek
I do know a spot up at Greenwater that is short range where I have not found another person yet, but you would need a vehicle with some ground clearance to get there.
Shoot me a PM if you want the details.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's a ways south from you, but contact I-5 guns in Lacey and ask if Emily might be available to assist you. She's an NRA Instructor. The ESC pistol bay might work if we hung a drop cloth for privacy, totally doable.

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get with pineapple, great instructor. He is one of the RSO's at Evergreen that has helped me. I know it is quite a drive, but sometimes you do what ya gotta do. Any open quarry/pits near you?

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/plastic_training_bullets.aspx

It won't work the slides in semi autos but it will still go bang on the first shot and if you mess up, you won't kill yourself. It'll still hurt, though.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cascade has one pistol bay that is 50yds x 50ft that has walls on both sides. Park a truxk at the top and you could have some privacy. It is a members only club. Try to get ahold of Ron Francis, both he and his wife are instructors and nice folks. Perhaps his wife may be interested in the flash bang.....last time I saw her she was wearing a "New York" double 1911 small of the back holster.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Instructor or not... there is really no range that will allow you to draw from this type of holster. If you find one... okay.

Traditionally it's tough to even draw and fire using a standard holster (side of hip).

Small of back or pocket or appendix, shoulder or "other" holsters that have the muzzle pointed other than down or at any body part is not normally allowed... regardless of instructor or range use.

To be all honest -
I'm sure there are exceptions but I would say you need to do go up to the woods.

This is a safety issue... when I say "safety" - yup... it's liability.
When the muzzle is automatically pointed at a body or body part... either on yourself or someone to the side of you.
Small of back, appendix and shoulder all do the same. Once you handle the firearm... you have all 3 elements (finger, gun and ammo)... for a ND.

So the issue with the Flashbang is it's pointed right at your non-dominant upper arm and the draw action either has it pointed at your upper arm as you help draw or at your elbow, forearm/hand at the final stages of draw.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

glockgirl wrote:
where I could go to practice my draw from my FlashBang bra holster, with the 26 actually loaded? So far I've only been able to practice, dryfire, at home. It would be nice to practice with the 26 loaded. WCA is out, but maybe someone knows of another range that maybe has ladies-only nights with female RO's?

Urm, how much is the RO going to see? When WCA holster certifies you, the ROs watch you drawing (not firing) from several angles and make sure that you're not muzzling yourself/others, having any issues with clothes getting caught up, correct trigger finger discipline etc.

And does Anette Wachter still work at WCA as an RO? She could holster check you. Once you've been signed off, WCA lets you draw to your heart's content (you have to obey all the usual range laws, so you couldn't have a loaded gun sitting on the firing line if you are drawing a loaded gun etc)

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fed way discount guns tactical bay. They have cameras, but they are at rear of range giving privacy to front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:23 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next