To exercise the second 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
For attention 11%  11%  [ 5 ]
Probably not the best idea 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
Dumb 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 45

Are there really any merits to OC? 

golddigger14s wrote:
Classic wrote:
Personally I have licenses to carry concealed in 33 states. The beauty of concealed carry are:
Lack of confrontation What confrontation?
&
Element of surprise if needed Not backed by any fact.

There are too many wacko liberals who want to get in your face and question your manhood when you open carry in public... It just isn't worth being an ambassador to "good behavior when carrying a gun". Has never happened in six years.

IMHO To carry concealed is advantageous in the majority of situations and ya don't have to deal with the bulls shit liberal wackos!

OC'er has never been documented to be the "first target".
I want the BG's to see that I'm not an easy target, and move on.
The majority of positive comments have been from women of all ages.
Never had a negative comment.

Do you really think CC'ing does not afford you the element of surprise?

I'm glad you've had nothing but good experiences, but I can personally see both sides of this argument. How many stories are on this site alone about people being asked to leave some place because of OC?

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Carrying an AR into Chik-fil-a reminds me of the story of Ferdinand the bull and the young bull. The younger one wanted to RUN down the hill and have his way with one of the heffers. Ferdinand suggested that they WALK down and have their way with ALL of them heffers!

To paraphrase the better Roosevelt: Walk softly and quietly, openly carry a full sized GLOCK or (your personal choice here)

edit: I was thinking of a sporting analogy about carrying one's bat and glove into the restaurant in order to show support for the team... why carry all that gear and risk clunking one of the other patrons on the head with your long hickory when you could wear a flashy jersey to show your support instead...

weak, yeah, i know...

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Conceal carry takes 2 hands to draw your weapon.
Open carry takes 1 hand to draw weapon while second hand is in your face.
Golddigger and I were OC'ing in a pretty big group of people of all ages and with kids there and had no problems or rude comments. Nobody treated us any different (I don't think)lol

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:09 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Nope, no merits. If you don't want to OC then don't. If you do then go ahead. It is a personal preference, just the same with buying a purple easter egg car. Not for me but it might be for you.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:44 pm
Profile WWW

codfather wrote:
Conceal carry takes 2 hands to draw your weapon.
Open carry takes 1 hand to draw weapon while second hand is in your face.
Golddigger and I were OC'ing in a pretty big group of people of all ages and with kids there and had no problems or rude comments. Nobody treated us any different (I don't think)lol

Explain how CC requires two hands please. In all my practice, I've NEVER needed two hands. I've also never had to draw for real

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

proper way is to lift shirt/ jacket and other on your fire arm

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:18 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Quote from a friend:
"Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman."

Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

cmica wrote:

Chris,
You are correct and if you don't get your shirt high enough or it hangs up on you or slips from your grasp or??? then your gun is useless to you you and the only element of surprise is on you.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:04 pm

golddigger14s wrote:
Quote from a friend:
"Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman."

Your friend sounds kinda closed-minded.

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:19 pm

codfather wrote:
cmica wrote:

Chris,
You are correct and if you don't get your shirt high enough or it hangs up on you or slips from your grasp or??? then your gun is useless to you you and the only element of surprise is on you.

I guess I'm not proper then. I have no need to partially undress to draw a carry piece

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sco wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:
Quote from a friend:

Your friend sounds kinda closed-minded.

Not really this hypothetical "element of surprise" has been bandied about by folks for years, without offering any real solid argument, other than the vague notion that a concealed carrier will somehow be able to magically get the drop on a bad guy and use this "element of surprise" to somehow take control of a situation where a criminal is already several steps ahead of everyone else.

If the only reason one advocates CC is to be all "Surprise motherfucker!" as they draw their carry piece, then I'd say it's time to get out of the armchair and do some research.

I CC'd today, not so I had the "element of surprise" but because discrete was more socially acceptable than having a visible handgun (I was negotiating the sale of something, a clearly visible gun would have made things weird). Other times, I OC because of weather, or how I'm dressed, or because it's Tuesday and I just don't give a shit about if my carry piece is visible or not. This whole "element of surprise" shit smells more like people watching too many cop dramas or engaging in some romanticized ideal of the heroic concealed carrier saving the day from the evil criminal.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGslzXx ... e=youtu.be

Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:09 am

golddigger14s wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGslzXxDhEU&feature=youtu.be

Well, that's a good way to stop the conversation. I like it

Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2