Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Open vs. Concealed Technicalities 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
So a concealed pistol is open carried?

What's the legal definition of open carry? Is there a criteria to be met?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
dan360 wrote:

Not concealed: seems to work for most people.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:43 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

The technicalities of "open" vs. "concealed" just aren't that important for Washington as long as you have a CPL. You're legal either way.

If you don't have a CPL, then you just need to be sure that you don't conceal (except for the legal exceptions, of course). That where you can get wrapped up in the "is it concealed if you can still see the grip" or "is it concealed if you can only see the rear sight" discussions.

Just get a CPL, carry however the hell you want, and don't sweat the petty definitions.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
The technicalities of "open" vs. "concealed" just aren't that important for Washington as long as you have a CPL. You're legal either way.

If you don't have a CPL, then you just need to be sure that you don't conceal (except for the legal exceptions, of course). That where you can get wrapped up in the "is it concealed if you can still see the grip" or "is it concealed if you can only see the rear sight" discussions.

Just get a CPL, carry however the hell you want, and don't sweat the petty definitions.

ooooh you're getting warm there.

'sterile carry'.

;)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Law dictionary to the rescue.... http://thelawdictionary.org/concealed/

Quote:
The term "concealed weapons" means weapons willfully or knowingly covered or kept from sight. Owen v. State. 31 Ala. 387

Law Dictionary: What is CONCEALED? definition of CONCEALED (Black's Law Dictionary)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:
And, by the way - Mislabeled - has been mislabeled - by you. He'es a she - real 100% all American ass kicking girl. Cute one, too.

Awwww. :4couple: I knew there was a reason (other than the bacon thing) that we kept you around.

There isn't really a hybrid carry definition in WA. Without getting into the grittier details: If it's showing it's basically open, if it isn't showing it's basically concealed. As long as you have a CPL, you aren't violating any laws either way. At that point, the methods -- along with the concept of printing -- matter to you alone.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:21 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

mislabeled wrote:
RENCORP wrote:
And, by the way - Mislabeled - has been mislabeled - by you. He'es a she - real 100% all American ass kicking girl. Cute one, too.

Awwww. :4couple: I knew there was a reason (other than the bacon thing) that we kept you around.

There isn't really a hybrid carry definition in WA. Without getting into the grittier details: If it's showing it's basically open, if it isn't showing it's basically concealed. As long as you have a CPL, you aren't violating any laws either way. At that point, the methods -- along with the concept of printing -- matter to you alone.

Cute, but a little heavy on that white base. Could use help with make-up. :bigsmile:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Oh, shit! My bad, Mislabeled! In that case, we should go shooting together :)

so when someone you think is a He becomes a She, then you're interested.

Does your husband know this?

And why do you only want to shoot with her? No matter, most of us Mexicans don't make it up to Canada anyway, and Canadians don't like crossing the border either.

As to your question, just get a CPL. No doubt they are an infringement, but for now they make your life easier. Not everyone who has a CPL carries...it makes many things easier (transporting, purchasing, etc.). Last place I worked I knew of two people who got a CPL for reasons other than to carry.

The other day, I had my pistol IWB, but I took off my outer shirt because we were doing yard work. My CC became OC (both of which are technically legal on your property anyway), but when my wife said someone was coming over, I decided to go cover it up again (didn't want the hassle with someone we only know casually who would be there 5 minutes or less).

If you open carry (without a CPL also) then you have to worry about what coat you wear, getting in a car, etc.

Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:55 am

Haha... every husband's dream, right?

I got my CPL last Thursday :thumbsup2:

Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Haha... every husband's dream, right?

I got my CPL last Thursday :thumbsup2:

Woohoo! Congratulations! :thumbsup2:

Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got two versions of concealment:

IWB, concealed, you won't see my gun.

OWB, sort of concealed. I'm wearing a coat, it isn't always closed up, and you might see my gun/holster, but probably not.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
dan360 wrote:

Laws only define what is illegal, so OC does not have a definition.

RCW 9.41.060
Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(1),-snip--
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;
--snip--

Refers to not needing a CPL. So during an outdoor activity you can CC w/o a CPL.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I conceal, the multiple guns I carry won't print and you will never know.

90% of the time I sloppy carry, loose shirt as a cover, tshirt prints, holster sticks out from the bottom of the vest or jacket.

Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I almost always carry concealed bit never give tooooo much of a shot if someone notices or not... I don't think many have, you'd be very surprised just how unobservant people are.

No-one is going to notice unless they are trained to do so or are themselves in fact a concealer of bang bangs also.

Which is one of my favorite past times when I'm out and about,playing "let's see who else is carrying!"

Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Silent_Rites wrote:
I almost always carry concealed bit never give tooooo much of a shot if someone notices or not... I don't think many have, you'd be very surprised just how unobservant people are.

No-one is going to notice unless they are trained to do so or are themselves in fact a concealer of bang bangs also.

Which is one of my favorite past times when I'm out and about,playing "let's see who else is carrying!"

Great minds think a like, my old lady even does now too.

I mix it up, depending on where I'm going, who im going with, and what time of day or night it is.

Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2