Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:09 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Open vs. Concealed Technicalities 

Mislabeled's comment on my thread the other day has really gotten me thinking. He said something along the lines of "I don't often OC, but my version of CC isn't far from it... gun prints when I bend over? Meh. Gun shows a bit when I lift up my shirt? Double meh." (Not an exact quote, but that was the gist of it.)

And it's just gotten me thinking about the difference between the two, and why more people don't do kind of a hybrid version of both. Also, where is the line drawn between the two? Does simply printing take it from concealed to open? How about an IWB holster with your grip showing? Is that "open carry"? And is that going to freak people out? You know... you're not making the effort to truly conceal, but neither are you blatantly OCing.

And why the fuck do you need a permit for concealed but not for open, anyway? That has never made any sense to me.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

i do iwb with the grip showing (shirt tucked between it and body). its obvious it's a pew pew. but there is no rcw or court ruling in this state to my knowledge of the definition of concealed vs open other than the word 'concealed'. i mean...in common holsters, not much is shown that is so far from what an iwb with grip showing, shows. an advantage to the no definition i guess for now, is that printing won't get you in trouble until a court makes some shit up.

fuck cpls. and fuck people who think cpls act as a good guy card.

and fuck what people think about you carrying a gun. they don't say shit to obvious thug that probably has a stolen piece of shit glock on him, but they wanna get brave with the everyday citizen.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm a simple guy... with a CPL

To conceal to me is to mean - no one knows you are carrying a firearm (granted you have your CPL).
If you print - wear a tight tshirt and the firearm "prints" so easily that everyone would know you are carrying a firearm... then technically it's still concealed but for those with common sense... not really.

Now the grey area... printing can mean many things. The worst is the case above. A clear outline of your firearm. Now if you have a small bulge or a part of the grip pokes an outline but it's not obvious what it may be... then depending on how observant the people around you...

If the firearm pokes physically out (someone can see the firearm)... because of movement or bending over or even from say... wearing a jacket.. it's legally concealed.

Sidenote: Many people carry all sorts of items on their hip (phones, pagers, utility knives, etc, etc) so its not too uncommon. But again if it clearly prints as a firearm then might as well just open carry.

Conceal (with CPL) and Open carry...

Both are legal (granted again you have a CPL to conceal) in Washington State. It's just a factor of how much attention you may want and the possible interaction of security and law enforcement. You may have to "educate" individual officers - most jursdiction are up to speed on Open carry but you will always find the odd one that just doesn't know all the laws... :wink05:

As to why a license (CPL - concealed pistol license). Washington has laws governing the carry of a firearm. Open carry was never legally address - meaning there is no law that says you can't... so you can.

For concealed. You just have to find the right match for you. Every "body" is different. Not just body type but the attire you wear and of course how you will carry that firearm and most importanly what firearm (size).

Can you give an example of the "hybrid version"

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Hybrid version... I guess I mean, switching easily back and forth between the two.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More example needed... but I'll take a leap.

If you have a CPL... you can do both and not care (legally).

So, the day may start off a bit chilly so you throw on a coat or even vest (concealed). Then later it warms up enough you toss the coat or vest off... Open.

In this instance you are legal for both (granted again you have a CPL).

One point for Open Carry. If you get into your car.. please unload that firearm. You can not legally carry or have a loaded firearm in a vehicle without a CPL in Washington State.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CPL is just another way of carrying any way you damm well please without any drama if you are called out on it by LEO because some panty waist peed a little seeing you all had a gun strapped to your butt.

And, by the way - Mislabeled - has been mislabeled - by you. He'es a she - real 100% all American ass kicking girl. Cute one, too.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Oh, shit! My bad, Mislabeled! In that case, we should go shooting together :)

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you're already cussin' so I suppose you're part of the group now.

Difference between open carry and concealed carry -- if you can see the gun, it's open. If you, AT ANY TIME, cannot see the gun, it's concealed. A coat over a shoulder holster is concealed carry.

Putting on a hoodie that goes over the top of an outside-the-waistband holster, concealed carry.

If it prints, but does not show, concealed.

If it shows, but not all the time, concealed.

You need a permit to carry concealed because it's "sneaky" see. You're hiding it, see. Trickery, see. Hollywood, see.

Same reason people call suppressors 'silencers' and think that only assassins use them.....Hollywood.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:

Difference between open carry and concealed carry -- if you can see the gun, it's open. If you, AT ANY TIME, cannot see the gun, it's concealed. A coat over a shoulder holster is concealed carry.

Putting on a hoodie that goes over the top of an outside-the-waistband holster, concealed carry.

You need a permit to carry concealed because it's "sneaky" see. You're hiding it, see. Trickery, see. Hollywood, see.

Same reason people call suppressors 'silencers' and think that only assassins use them.....Hollywood.

You gonna cite that or are you an attorney that will stand behind that claim?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
dan360 wrote:

about what?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
UpDog wrote:
dan360 wrote:

about what?

Bolded.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

concealed
-verb (used with object)

to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight: He concealed the gun under his coat.

Sent from my UAV using Disposition Matrix 2.0

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am the guardian of the Second Amendment, and you will only carry the way I tell you to! You must ALWAYS be concealed, if thou don't cover up that abominable tool of Satan you will lose the "Mythical Tactical Element of Surprise"! So it be said, So it be done! Heed not these words and I will smite thee, and cast thee into the depths of perdition! :reaction:

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an RCW that cover CC. There is no law against OC, so it is be default allowed. Laws only tell you what you can't do.

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
dan360 wrote:
UpDog wrote:
dan360 wrote:

about what?

Bolded.

So a concealed pistol is open carried?

Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next