Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:46 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Men, you have it good in the concealed carry world. 

Thanks for the replies again. It's true that I did zero carry research before buying the 19... the purchase was made about a month before I began to desire to carry. Originally it was bought to just be a home defense gun. Switching my gun (or buying a second one) may indeed be the route I need to take down the line at some point. For now, I'll work on various other solutions. I'm not crazy about carrying anywhere other than the basic waist/hip area (and would NEVER consider off-body carry).

Open carry is something I'm considering more and more. It isn't something I would do frequently... warm weather only, and mostly to stores. A part of me is honestly curious to try it for the sheer purpose of seeing how folks around here react. Being in Edmonds puts me kind of right in the middle of mindsets, I feel like- I'm not in a smaller town, like some of the towns slightly north (I imagine Arlington or Granite Falls might be more accepting), but I'm also not going to be walking in downtown Seattle, as just one face in a crowd.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
Thanks for your replies, guys. I got about halfway through the faliaphotography concealed carry youtube video so far, and I think I am probably going to need to consider alternate holsters, and alternate carry styles. I really like IWB appendix carry, but maybe small of back carry would work better with certain shirts.

I advise against small of back carry. I have serval good friends who have severe back injuries to to injuries from falling on guns Carried in small of back carry. I know it's one of the more appealing ways to carry.

Just my .02

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get another gun!
A G 19 is a tough gun to CC for anyone.
I would suggest a micro 9 of j frame revolver.

Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Annalee,

As a fellow female who has carried everyday for about 3 years, I thought I would share my two favorite ways to carry. :)

If I am going to the range, teaching my classes, or doing outdoor work, my favorite way to carry is a simple competition OWB holster with a cover garment; coat, vest, or just a flannel shirt. I carry about the 4:00 position on my strong side (LH) I do have to be aware when I am bending over, but usually feel pretty confident with that as concealment. However, I don't dress like I am going to the range or to teach every day.

For every other situation, (the majority of time) I carry in a bellyband with straps that go over my shoulders that holds the gun right up under my....um....*chest*. ;) Accessibility is slower than the other method of carry, but I have weighed the pros and cons, and this is what I have decided is best for me personally. No one in the world could ever guess that I am carrying a gun. (My EDC is a Springfield XDs .45--not the smallest gun out there, but still very concealable) I don't dress like a frump, but I have certainly had to change my dress a little, and in the summertime, it gets HOT. As a well-known firearms instructor by the name of Clint Smith (from Thunder Ranch) says, "Conceal carry is not supposed to be comfortable, it is supposed to be comforting."

Making the personal choice to conceal carry is difficult, and there will be some sacrifices to be made in both comfort and style. One of my mottos is, "Where there is a will there is a way." :)

The only other thing I would heartily recommend for you if you haven't already, is to get some training. Not just on how to shoot, but also how to handle a firearm safely, (It's really NOT intuitive knowledge) how to keep it out of the hands of unauthorized and dangerous individuals (and little peeps, too. I suggest Massad Ayoob's little book, "Gunproof your Children") and even when it is legal to use deadly force for self defense. (Again, it's not intuitive, and there are a frightful number of myths in the gun world that are not your friend...;)

Anyway, just thought I would put my two cents in...:)

Certified NRA instructor, RSO, Affiliate instructor for USCCA

Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:01 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fungunnin wrote:
Get another gun!
A G 19 is a tough gun to CC for anyone.
I would suggest a micro 9 of j frame revolver.

G19 is very easy to concealed.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Think of guns as being like shoes - you need a bunch of them to accessorize with, wear for different occasions, different seasons, etc.

Start your collection now, so you have lots of years to accumulate a full range of gun accessories for your lifestyle changes.

Happy shopping !

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:39 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
I've been carrying for about two weeks now, mostly at home, but on Thursday my license arrived. It hasn't been an issue, clothing-wise, because it's been sweatshirt weather. Today I went clothing shopping for some spring tops that I can wear while concealing. There is virtually NOTHING. Unless I want to, A- dress like a man, B- dress like I'm fat, or C- look like I'm pregnant, I am pretty SOL.

I'm going through all the options in my head. Downsize my gun? Nope. Don't carry in the summer? Nope. Dress in sweatshirts in spite of the heat? Nope. Dress in an unflattering manner? Maybe, although I don't like that option. Or... open carry? Maybe. I never thought I would say that last one, but today's shopping trip got me thinking.

Any thoughts? Anyone have wives or girlfriends who successfully conceal carry with a medium size gun (mine is a Glock 19) and are still able to dress attractively? Or... should I bite the bullet (pun intended) and be an OC'er, at least for the summer months?

Let me say that my personality is super non-confrontational. I don't relish the idea of having to verbally defend myself from every idiot who wants to comment. I am also a person who really does not like drawing attention to myself, so I don't relish the idea of people looking at me, either. Fill me in on your OCing experiences (your own or others'). Also, as a woman, do you think I would get more or less negative attention (or attention at all, for that matter) than a guy would?

Ran across this thread on another forum:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... ?t=1049604, the gal linked to another website below where she shows how she carries a G19

http://www.mrcolionnoir.com/icarry/icar ... -glock-19/

Yes, it probably is harder for a Woman to carry. Here are a few things I've learned: Get a good belt! A belt makes carrying much easier. A forward cant on the G19 will help it print less when carried.
Black and other dark colors help break up the form better, as do paterns (like plaid). Wear shoes. With summer coming up, it can be tempting to wear flip flops. IMO, you should wear something you can run in when you are carrying. I sometimes break this rule, but I do so knowing the risks.

Faliaphotography and fate of destiny are good resoucres. Here is another one: http://armedpregnancy.blogspot.com/

I actually learned some of the most about concealed carry from the women out there on the interwebs.

Here is another option (perhaps not for your G19): http://flashbangstore.com/

Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Soldier_Citizen wrote:
I advise against small of back carry. I have serval good friends who have severe back injuries to to injuries from falling on guns Carried in small of back carry. I know it's one of the more appealing ways to carry.

Just my .02

I also recommend against small of back carry - other than the potential for back injury, it makes defending against a gun grab way more challenging. I actually don't like anything beyond or 4 o'clock because of this.

joao01 wrote:
Here are a few things I've learned: Get a good belt! A belt makes carrying much easier. A forward cant on the G19 will help it print less when carried.
Black and other dark colors help break up the form better, as do paterns (like plaid). Wear shoes. With summer coming up, it can be tempting to wear flip flops. IMO, you should wear something you can run in when you are carrying. I sometimes break this rule, but I do so knowing the risks.

Multiple +1s:

Good belt...wow, I wish I had learned this earlier. Doesn't need to be expensive or look super taticool - 5.11 and Blackhawk both make reasonable looking belts around $30 dollars. Yes, it's more expensive than a piece of crap from Wal-Mart or Target but it will last 5 times longer and actually hold up the weight of your gun. A good holster is also important - this requires research and some trial/error. Finally, I cannot agree enough with the idea of wearing shoes you can run in while carrying (or all the time)...If you have to wear heels - stash some old running shoes in your car and/or office (remember your husband's vehicle as well). They also make compact roll up "flats" that easily fit into a purse - you won't really be able to full-out run but they will work better than heels or flip-flops.

Along with various smaller guns, another thing you should consider is a non-firearm option...pepper spray, push knife, stun gun or if your budget allows - a real Tazer. Taking a women's self defense course would also be good...the biggest piece of the puzzle for everyone (regardless of gender) is situational awareness. Armed or unarmed - use that weapon between your ears - and you'll avoid 99.99% of danger/threats.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are a few search results for you:

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure there are some 3 o'clock traditionalists getting sick of me mentioning it but I noticed from those pictures that appendix carry seems to be pretty popular. Don't knock it til you try it.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:42 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
I'm sure there are some 3 o'clock traditionalists getting sick of me mentioning it but I noticed from those pictures that appendix carry seems to be pretty popular. Don't knock it til you try it.

Got a holster I can try? I'd love to give it a go, but it doesn't seem to work with my existing holsters.

It seems like AIWB may work better for skinny dudes and women, but I've never been successfull yet, but I'm open to try.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The most popular AIWB holsters seem to be:

- http://www.phlster.com/#!product/prd1/9 ... 4/skeleton
- http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybig ... er-system/
- http://raven-concealment-systems1.mybig ... y-rig-acr/
- http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html
- http://www.bravoconcealment.com/products/d-o-s-holster
- http://www.krounds.com/iwb-holsters-app ... -p-75.html
- http://www.tacticalholsters.com/product/INCOG.html

I have been carrying a G26 (Gen 4) in the PHLster Skeleton for a while now. I love it but I just ordered the Raven Concealment Vanguard (Full kit) and I suspect I'll move over to that holster (even less material = less bulk = more comfortable). Steve has been using the K-Rounds holster with his G42 for a while now, he can chime in on that.

If you can find an appendix holster that works for your body and budget (some are insanely expensive), I don't think you'll ever go back to something else - it's vastly superior to every other carry position especially if you value concealment. And as a reminder, you don't have to be "thin" or "skinny." I am easily 20 pounds over weight - 90% of which collects around my waist - and AIWB works for me. Yes, a lot of the women in those photos carrying AIWB are thin but some were more round/curvy and were also pulling it off well. For guys - button-down shirts are your friend.

Here's a good post on AIWB: http://www.balloongoesup.com/blog/appendix-carry/

Watch some videos on YouTube...a lot of big name (and small name) trainers are very supportive of appendix carry.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

another resource for the OP:

http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
another resource for the OP:

http://www.corneredcat.com/contents/

Damn, how did we miss that originally? That's the foundational resource for women carrying guns.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When my ex started carrying, she kept it in her purse. I consider that a horrible option, since what would bad guy go for first?? I jimmied a better strap for each of her purses, but I still didn't like it. She felt better just having it around, but again. ideally bad. But there are some specific purses out there, that combined with practice, awareness, and proper purse retention, make it a very viable option for summer carey÷

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next