This is the place to discuss the how, when, where and why we carry.
Post a reply

Ex Police K9 alerted on me today

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:16 am

Had an interesting CCW experience today. While carrying in a dont-ask/don’t-tell type of location I was approached by a retired working dog. She immediately sniffed and alerted to my exact location of carry. The guy jokingly asked if
I had drugs. He prob knew better. I hadn’t ever thought of that being a factor but it was.... I guess concealed doesn’t always mean concealed?

Re: Ex Police K9 alerted on me today

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 am

“Meksikan carry”?

Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:36 am

Wow, this is interesting. I have thought about this in the past and couldn’t think of a reason it wouldn’t be possible for K9s to detect, but I’ve never encountered an anecdote about it before.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:10 pm

Does your gun do drugs?

Are you sure? :ROFLMAO:

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:19 pm

There aren't too many dogs trained to alert on firearms. You managed to encounter one, one that was NOT working, and one that alerted without any command to search?

That's very unusual indeed.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:50 pm

I wondered about the lack of command too. Handler only said sitz and platz, neither of which are search. Could be coincidence she sniffed my 2’oclock pant line directly over my deep concealed airweight.....Either way I was found-out in “hostile” territory. Was a Belgian Malnois not a GSP if that matters.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:59 pm

A quick google shows very similar situations to mine... not unheard of. Just something to think about while carrying.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:08 pm

Where at?

Mon Dec 21, 2020 3:11 pm

I wonder what would happen if you rubbed some single-base into your hat before meeting one of those K9s.

Best not forget about it when lighting up a cig, though.

Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:10 pm

Well I keep one of these in the old Prison Wallet, so its gonna be kinda hilarious if a dog alerts on my CC....

Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:17 pm

zombie66 wrote:Well I keep one of these in the old Prison Wallet, so its gonna be kinda hilarious if a dog alerts on my CC....

And if you pull that out while being mugged, you won't even have to pull the trigger. They'll be long gone before you can...

Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:30 pm

so edc a couple dog treats, and pull one out of the pocket nearest your pistol and ask wtf is up with the dog sniffing for scoobysnaks? :bigsmile:

Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:12 am

Selador wrote:And if you pull that out while being mugged, you won't even have to pull the trigger. They'll be long gone before you can...

Naw, it will fall right out

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:08 am

IMO, the dog just sniffed your crotch - to remember your unique scent and to say "Nice to meet you!". That's what dogs normally do, no matter if they are trained or not.

Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:36 am

RocketScott wrote:
Selador wrote:And if you pull that out while being mugged, you won't even have to pull the trigger. They'll be long gone before you can...

Naw, it will fall right out

You're sounding more like Sinus every day!
Post a reply