Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Need advice on conceal carry weapon for a mom 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

R&R_84 wrote:
UpDog wrote:
Does the TCP not have a ridiculous trigger pull? I have a bodyguard 380 and when I hand it to full grown people to fire, it usually takes at least a second try for them to pull the trigger ALL the way AFTER some quick coaching. You honestly have to MEAN to fire the damn thing to fire it. I don't like manual safeties on my handguns, as that is another part to possibly fail but that bodyguard comes with a right hander thumb safety that locks the actual slide so you can't even rack it.

What about education and getting your children familiarized with firearms and what can happen? I don't think you mentioned their ages but if they are old enough for you to worry about discharging your firearm I personally think they are old enough to learn. Don't treat your firearm as evil with them, but encourage them to learn in a supervised environment (with you).

TLDR: heavy trigger pull+education.

You are correct, it does have a very heavy trigger pull, which in Taurus's defense is a safety. This is purely my own preference when it comes to my gun. My children are 7 years and 8 months old. The 7 year old knows no to touch ANY of our guns, includng the air softs that we have. Simply put, I would feel better with a manual safety.

Then get a sidearm in the same caliber and size with a manual safety? Most manufacturers these days don't put out crap, pick the one that fits your hand and practice and call it good.

Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

All right! Another woman! I don't feel so lonely now... :bigsmile: Yeah, sometimes the testosterone is a little heavy, but the guys are always unfailingly polite and helpful.

When I started researching which gun I should carry, my feathers were ruffled for quite a while. My boys are 3 and 5. I was looking for a handgun with a manual safety because I do carry with a round chambered. I ended up with an M&P compact 9mm. It still chunky - not a tiny gun. I still conceal quite well with IWB holsters fully covering the trigger, and wearing "girly" blouses. The holsters need to have some good retention, though, so the kids don't knock it. And, of course, I train with the safety every time.

After I got my M&P9c, the Shield came out. It too has a manual safety. I suspect it would be a much better gun for conceal. It feels great, small, balanced. There are some great reviews, and I just see in Shelley Rae's post that she has one too. I didn't follow up because it's set up for right hand only.

Hmm, I might need to check out that Flashbang.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:02 am

The Flashbang is awesome, I have a Flashbang and a Marilyn holster for my P238 and love them both. The Marilyn is more versatile.

Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:36 am
Profile WWW

Shelley_Rae wrote:
The Flashbang is awesome, I have a Flashbang and a Marilyn holster for my P238 and love them both. The Marilyn is more versatile.

I intend to get the Flashbang as well as the Marilyn for whatever I end up carying at the end of my search. I'm leaning toward the Charter Arms Ladies .38 special snubbie right now.

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

R&R_84 wrote:
..and I ALWAYS carry on body. I dress like a girl, and therefore it is difficult to carry a larger profile pistol. I want something that can be carried comfortably and concealed easily with my wardrobe, but that can also be carried hot with safety on. I'm looking for suggestions on small profile handguns with .380, 9mm, or .38 caliber, with a safety mechanism.

the concealed weapon is *you*, keep that first in your mind. Any handgun that you carry and are trained/prepared to us to defend you and yours makes *you* the weapon. Having said that, i reccomend the xd9 sub compact as a great compromise combo of concealability, safety, caliber, capacity, cost and reliability. Use the flush mag with self-defense ammo and you sacrifice the least on any one part of the equation. If you enjoy it and shoot it well, best choice IMO.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
R&R_84 wrote:
..and I ALWAYS carry on body. I dress like a girl, and therefore it is difficult to carry a larger profile pistol. I want something that can be carried comfortably and concealed easily with my wardrobe, but that can also be carried hot with safety on. I'm looking for suggestions on small profile handguns with .380, 9mm, or .38 caliber, with a safety mechanism.

the concealed weapon is *you*, keep that first in your mind. Any handgun that you carry and are trained/prepared to us to defend you and yours makes *you* the weapon. Having said that, i reccomend the xd9 sub compact as a great compromise combo of concealability, safety, caliber, capacity, cost and reliability. Use the flush mag with self-defense ammo and you sacrifice the least on any one part of the equation. If you enjoy it and shoot it well, best choice IMO.

If the XD9 sc is anywhere near the same size as the XD40 sc, you are telling a woman to carry a brick. (size and weight wise).

Why not just open carry? Nothing says "don't touch my kids or me" more than a pistol on the hip of a mom.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

A couple of thoughts:

- Shelley_Rae has probably tried all of the gadgets and gizmos out there, and has written reviews of many of them. Heed her words.

- A couple of people have mentioned the Sig P238, and I'd recommend checking it out. It's small and light, like the TCP, but it has a couple of key advantages:
1) It has a manual safety, which is important to you.
2) It has a short (though not particularly light) trigger pull. I find the looooong trigger pull of guns like the TCP very unpleasant, and they make it difficult for me to shoot accurately.

Someone mentioned carrying the P238 with a loaded chamber and hammer down. The P238 is similar to a 1911, and I do NOT recommend doing that because it means lowering the hammer on a loaded chamber . . . which without a proper decocker is taking unnecessary chances.

I live in Renton. You're welcome to try my P238 (or anything else I own) . . . let me know if you're interested.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:05 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I always recommend an sw 642

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

CHECK OUT OUR NEW ESTORE
WE can take credit cards plus 3%
I AM AN FFL/NFA DEALER. EVERYTHING I SELL HAS PAPERWORK REQUIRED AND I AM FORCED TO CHARGE SALES TAX

Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:22 pm

My opinion on the S & W 642 is that it is a purse gun to be fired from the purse. Reach in, grab it, point the whole purse at the target, and start pulling the trigger as hard and fast as your fingers will allow.

The good points are that it is hammerless, so nothing in your purse can get between the hammer and bullets, and it has a key lock safety for when it isn't in your purse. The trigger pull is long which will make an accidental discharge nearly impossible. I say nearly because one cannot discount anything when humans are involved. I would recommend keeping it in an empty compartment in any purse so nothing obstructs the trigger.

My friend bought one of these for his daughter and I shot it a few times, and with hearing protection on, I couldn't hear the cylinder ( two quiet clicks ) cycles on the first part of the trigger. Then there's a dead spot where nothing seems to be happening, then I begin to feel some trigger resistance, then a Bang! It's either that or for stuffing in BG's belly and pulling as fast as you can. I couldn't get used to that long of a trigger even with time, it just isn't for me.

I'd take Shelleys' input over mine though, she's all about the women with firearms! Ultimately it is the person carrying who has the final say. I also support MadPicks OC suggestion as well.

The same Government that considers the Founding Fathers 'Terrorists, is the same Government the Founding Fathers warned us against…

MEMBER; NRA, SAF, GOA, Lewis County Oath Keepers,

Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:29 pm

Here's my 2 cents. I would say M&P40c/M&P9c, but since it seems you want one in the chamber around kids, maybe you should check into the Beretta Px4 Storm Sub Compact in a 9/40, and their are not going to break the bank. You should be able to find one close to $500.00

There are some M&P models that have thumb safeties as well as the M&P shield either way the PX4, and M&P are great guns.

Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2