Rules Brads Guns RA I5 Guns & Ammo Killer Innovations WAC
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms LPG Pintos
Gear COUNTYLINE WCA Fortis 2A Ind.
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Traffic Stops while Armed. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread has run a while so there are a lot of opinions that have been presented.

To the best of my knowledge WA State does not require you notify an officer that you are carrying (or have in the car) a firearm.

HOWEVER

More and more States seem to be requiring that the officer be notified of the presence of a firearm in the vehicle IMMEDIATELY upon the officer approaching the driver. If visiting a state that has reciprocity with WA for concealed carry it might be a good idea to notify the officer right off. Some officers get real nasty if they don't get that notice IMMEDIATELY.

Personally I hand over my D/L, Insurance Card, and CPL when the officer arrives at the window. I also tell the officer where the firearm is. In almost every single case the officer has said "just leave it where it is and don't reach for or touch it". It's my opinion that you gain some creds with the officer when you volunteer rather than letting them find it on their own.

By doing this in WA State it is an ingrained habit so I won't likely forget if traveling in another state with or without reciprocity (difference being pistol on my person or just in the vehicle stored according to that state's rules).

With more and more LEO's being shot by motorists it's no surprise that they get real touchy when they encounter a driver that they suddenly find is armed. I'd just as soon get it out of the way and not have some trooper/deputy/cop draw down on me when he sees the firearm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0aRGT6GVUE

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6