Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Oops - renewing my expired CPL April 2017 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some quick facts.
1. I live in Kent and King County.
2. My CPL was more than 90 days expired.
3. I decided to apply at the King County Courthouse.

This was my experience for my situation.

Fact: a Washington State concealed pistol license (CPL) is good for 5 years

So life happens.
I've had a CPL for over 25 years. I've never let it expire before and in fact I would renew before it expired. But life happens.

Fact: You have 90 days before it expires and up to 90 days after it expires to renew.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms ... alreq.html

But with finding out only 3 days ago I had a expired CPL by more than 90 days while cleaning out my wallet was an eye opener. I had set up reminder at 6 months, 3 months and 1 month but as life has it I ignored all of them (d'oh).

Living down south of Seattle but still in King County I decided to check out the city police to renew. They take appointments and the first wasn't until late May. Then I decided to see if I could catch a King County satellite office in Burien. Called and they also take appointments but again a little better but not by much. Earliest appoint for them was beginning of May.

What to do... my last choice was to go to Seattle and go to the King County Courthouse as they have a walk up window.

Not wanting to drive into and park in Seattle I decided to avoid the traffic headache and use the Light Rail. I got on at the current most southern station at Angle Lake.
https://m.soundtransit.org/Rider-Guide/ ... ke-Station

This station is nice as it has lots of free parking and it's the first station so the train is practically empty and easy to find a seat. 11 stations later you get off at Pioneer Station, doors open on right side and you take a right and up the stairs to 3rd and Jefferson. As you exit the train station at street level you turn right and right and go up the short hill. You'll come to the lighted cross walk and you'll be looking at the courthouse. Once you cross over you take a left and you'll see bus stops on your left. The entrance to the Courthouse is just behind the first bus stop.

Use the door to the far left. The first set of doors are the exit. As you enter you'll be walking a short maze to the metal screening process. Make sure you leave all metal items at home. Put you keys, phone and wallet in the tray for x-ray examination. Pass through metal screening and collect your things and make immediate left to room W-150.

Once you enter go to first set of windows on your right. Have your paperwork, ID and old CPL ready.

Meaning all 3 pages Completely filled out, signed and dated. I had a few folks that came in after me and they didn't have their shit together and it definitely drags out the process for everyone behind them.

You can print the paperwork.
http://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/sheriff ... s/gun.aspx

You'll be given an envelope to fill out - your address and then you will be directed to have a seat as they print out your CPL for review. Then after they are done they will call you up to verify (review) all information and then you will be directed to pay at Cashier.

Fact: Please remember to bring cash or check. For me it was $48.

Then you'll again take a seat after paying and since it was basically a new application for me I waited for my fingerprinting.

A few minutes later she called me up and took me to the digital fingerprinting process and that was it.

From entering Room W-150 to exiting was 24 minutes. There wasn't anyone else waiting so I got lucky. I would say if it's busy it might take 40-90 minutes?

Of course, I'll have to wait my up to 30 days for my actual CPL to be mailed to me. So hard lesson to learn but life can always be harder. So easy process overall. Life is good. Look at your CPL and renew early.

From getting onto the light rail and getting back to my car - 75 min. Not bad and the view was actually pretty nice. And all for $3 for both up and back. Oh, I used my ORCA card so if you pay cash - it might be different.

Also I got to the parking garage just before 9 and parked up on the 6th floor (top) and by the time I got back the garage was full.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

oldkim wrote:

:facepalm2:

This is NOT the oldkim that I used to know. :crybaby:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup... and you really don't want to know the rest of the story... :wink05:

Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:56 pm

Hey dont you know that the governor signed the bill today for reminders to be sent out to those with an expiring CPL starting in August. Wonder how much that will cost us taxpayers?

Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
oldkim wrote:

:facepalm2:

This is NOT the oldkim that I used to know. :crybaby:

Old age man.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hell my email address is older than most here...

Got it in late 1980's

Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Need a CPL to carry on public transport, so you must have been naked.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yup. No sidearm, no spare mag, no knife, no pepper spray, not even a multi tool. icon_eek

I did have a few gun apps on my iPhone... :thumbsup2:

Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Exact same thing happened to me today (went to buy a handgun, found out CPL was over 90 days expired), but my in and out time at southsound 911 (tacoma for unincorporated pierce county) was only 10 min ( both paperwork and e-print), cost was $51 with laminating. Much better than I expected.

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Hell my email address is older than most here...

Got it in late 1980's

And I probably have socks older than you!

:bigsmile: :ROFLMAO:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am an old guy too. OK not ancient like some of you, but I somehow made it a priority to remember.

And thank God Duvall PD does the duty. Hat is OFF!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hartcreek wrote:
Hey dont you know that the governor signed the bill today for reminders to be sent out to those with an expiring CPL starting in August. Wonder how much that will cost us taxpayers?

Screw that!!! :timeout: They can use some of that money form taxes form selling all this marijuana in this state. Inslee never talks about that! He is just always lame assing around about President Trump and how he disagrees with the immigration policy.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
Yup. No sidearm, no spare mag, no knife, no pepper spray, not even a multi tool. icon_eek

I did have a few gun apps on my iPhone... :thumbsup2:

Did you get a 594 on those Gun apps if that is new iPhone? :peep:

Congrats on getting your CPL renewed. thumbsup Happened to me but I was less than 90 days. Thurston county was nice enough, strictly business though and gladly took my money.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:40 pm

I traveled all over King and Snoho counties for 2 months packin heat on an expired CPL. Never got stopped or searched. No harm, no foul. :cheers2:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Stan Wood wrote:
I traveled all over King and Snoho counties for 2 months packin heat on an expired CPL. Never got stopped or searched. No harm, no foul. :cheers2:

all it takes it once than deep doo doo :secretshake:

Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next