Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:58 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 If you carry... Shoot to "Neutralize" or what? 

What does "Neutralize" mean to you?
Shoot until they stop being a threat (be it dead or alive) 83%  83%  [ 38 ]
Shoot to Kill 9%  9%  [ 4 ]
Shoot to Wound 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shoot to Incapacitate 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Other 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 46

If you carry... Shoot to "Neutralize" or what? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

ANZAC wrote:
old11bravo wrote:
I believe most law enforcement and military train for center mass targeting. Policy for my department dictates that we will aim center mass. I think the only time I would deviate from that policy would be if the perp were wearing body armor that proved the center mass shots to be ineffective, in which case I would transition to upper torso/head shots.

The target would be engaged until such a time as it was deemed to no longer be a threat.

I have a deputy friend who shot a BG in the head. The reason is he had a hostage (knife at her throat) and the hostage covered his body. My friend fired one .40 round point blank (muzzle to the forehead), and saved her life.

BG lived, is a vegetable. My friend was criticized by the dept lawyers for violating policy to shoot for center mass. Idiots. In the end result he received the highest commendation the department has and the lawyers were told to get lost.

Your friend is bad ass! I want to be just like him!

Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So training...

Here are a few key training thoughts.

1) Draw
It's tough to find a range that will allow the practice of drawing from your holster and firing. The vast majority of us will never find a range that will allow this simple action.

The process of drawing from your carry holster can be done at home (dry fire exercise).
Drawing is a fundamental skill for those that carry. You need to know the limitations of position and how fast you can put your firearm into action. Also change up on clothes (coat, vest, shirts) so you can practice.
*Please make sure you have an unloaded firearm before doing this...

2) Low ready
Now for the majority of folks. Practice shooting from a low ready. Sight acquisition is another key element to learn as a skill. Since again draw, engage, fire isn't a reality for most of us... we can almost all shoot from the low ready position.

3) Double taps
Most ranges are becoming more friendly to quicker shots. Again this falls into... so long as you can keep those rounds on target.
Shooting fast to be fast isn't the goal. Its more getting you into "controlled" rapid fire. Placing hits quickly and efficiently. Remember self defense skills is about how quick and how accurate. Not... about how fast you can miss.

4) Side step
Even though you can't shoot on the move... you can still move a step to the side. Even in most ranges you have a good 3'x3' square area to move around in. Just remember to not step back beyond the firing line (red line in some cases). Just stepping to the side or even one half step forward or back will develop some movement skills.
Start slow and half baby steps (remember to keep all shots on target).

Please do remember - you need to know the rules of your specific range. Ask before you do.
Most range are more friendly to self defense skills so long as you can keep your rounds on target.

Be safe and start off slow. The last thing you want to do is a ND (negligent discharge).

And here is my bias... Buy more magazines (4-7 is a good start).
When shooting... you don't need to learn how to load a magazine. You need to shoot. :AR15firing:

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just follow the John Wick model, and failure drill.

Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

(OPINION)

Trigger is a last resort. Absolute last resort. If the trigger is being pulled, it's to defend life. Mine or someone else's, from immediate threat of lethal harm.

If put in a position where drawing, aiming, and verbally "communicating" to a bad person to stop what they're doing works, then no need to pull the trigger.

As far as the outcome to the trigger being pulled on my firearms......draw (pun!) your own conclusions. :thumbsup2:

Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2