Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Custom finish jobs 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BIGGDAD wrote:
I’ve played around with bluing a bit, tried a few different products and I’ve never really liked the color match. Always seemed to be off a bit and stand out. Personally I’d strip the barrel and do it in cerakote. Essentially all bluing is is a stain in the metal and adds very little protection from rust. Over time as it wears and fades it is less likely to have much in the way of protection. Cerakote on the other hand is a ceramic based, baked on coating that looks great, is very durable and protects from UV and weather better than anything else on the market. Something as simple as coating a barrel can be quite inexpensive, be done relatively fast and last for years. If you are interested, message me a couple pictures and I can get you an idea of the time and cost. Right now I’m prepping a lever action that had some fading in the original bluing. That ones going to be restored back to new as soon as I finish the AR’s I have hanging in the booth

I don't mean to be argumentative, but I feel I need to make sure the truth is heard.

#1 you can reblue a scratched gun without removing the original bluing, you will not be able to tell where the original bluing had rubbed off, I have done it (using the Hot Salts method).

#2 Real bluing is rust (unlike Cold Bluing which is a stain), a conversion of iron oxide. It is not a stain, the top (very thin) layer of metal is actual converted from steel to a black oxide of iron.

#3 if kept oiled or in a low humidity environment bluing can protect the metal a 100 years or more....we have plenty of examples of guns from the turn of the century (1900) that still look new in the box

While I believe Cerakote has its place, but sometimes guns should be reblued in the traditional method....just my opinion of course.

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:57 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some people like fords, some people like Chevy’s. My apologies for over simplifying a process that you are clearly partial to. On the one hand, yes a vintage firearm retains its value better when reblued over changing to a different finish. On the other hand we don’t exactly live in a low humidity region and if you look into comparisons of stress tests done on both traditional bluing and cerakote there is a huge difference. Yes you can keep your weapon coated in oil, locked in a safe with dehumidifying packs and chances are you will never see any issues. Sometimes though, shit happens. Roof leaks, plumbing issues, extended hunting trips etc etc and you risk your finish being compromised. Both products of course have their place. My great grandfathers domascus double barrel shotgun, I’d never cerakote it but at the same time it’s not one that ever gets used. At the end of the day I’ll plan for worst case scenario, cerakote my stuff and know it will resist just about anything that can be thrown at it while having a 100% custom look and feel

Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:54 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finished another Freedom AR today

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:30 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Custom Kryptec on a .22 AR that I finished the other day

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:22 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Zombie green, battleworn, blood splattered Glock with drum mag

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:25 pm
Profile WWW

How are you applying the cerekote? Whats your set up?

I 've always wanted to do my own paint jobs. So far my only foray has been rattle cans and I have had good sucess. I want to try something more protective and longer lasting though.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well luckily I already had most of the basics that I use for other paintwork but some stuff needed drastic upgrades. You can cut a lot of corners as seen on YouTube but it shows in the end product and long term durability. Sandblasting cabinet, high volume air compressor, curing oven, good quality spray guns and acetone dip tank are all needed. Some of this stuff gets pretty expensive. I think my top end spray gun was just under $500 and I have 4 different ones for different cerakote products. One gun is great for the clearcoat but shit for blacks, the one I use for blacks doesn’t like colors etc etc.

Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:32 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Played around with the cerakote elite series concrete and elite series midnight over the weekend on this old beat up rust damaged lever action 30/30. Wish I had taken some before photots because going from worn off bluing and rust spots everywhere to finished product is pretty incredible

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:09 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Y'know, I kinda like that lighter gray on the lever gun . . . .

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BIGGDAD wrote:
This guy got exposed to moisture and by the time it’s owner noticed the damage was done. Here’s a few before and after shots of a rust removal and refinish job

That guy needs to be kicked in the 'jimmy' for treating a Ruger rifle like that. Shameful, but looks really sweet re-finish. Very nice work indeed.

There are times when the situation as it occurs, dictates the course of actions that follow.

"I stand for the National Anthem, always have, always will"

On days like this, I often wonder what Gary Gordon and Randy Shughart would do...

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
Y'know, I kinda like that lighter gray on the lever gun . . . .

To me the thing about a custom coating is making a gun stand out as being different. I mean an AR is like an elephant, once you seen one you seen them all. Doesn’t matter how you configure it or what upgrades you do because at the range they all look the same. Every lever gun I’ve seen is just that way so this was a great opportunity to break away from the standard appearance of a lever gun and come up with a fresh look

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:35 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TINCANBANDIT wrote:
#3 if kept oiled or in a low humidity environment bluing can protect the metal a 100 years or more....we have plenty of examples of guns from the turn of the century (1900) that still look new in the box

Bang.

1913, 1916 and 1919 examples of "Good homes" .

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2