Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Got a smoking deal on a Browning X-Bolt 28 Nosler. 

Picked this rifle up at cost, it was a limited run for Lipskey's.

Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter, 28 Nosler, 26" barrel, muzzle brake. It's basically a Browning X-Bolt Speed "Hells Canyon". The only difference is no fluting and a black finish instead of a burnt bronze finish.

I broke in the barrel with factory Nosler 175gr Long Range Accubond's. They shot about 3/4 moa or slightly more, always under MOA. Today I took it out and shot the Nosler factory 160gr Accubond loads and the rifle shoots them under half MOA.

The factory ammo prices are brutal but seeing how much brass costs for the 28 Nosler. I figured I might as well purchased 4 boxes, $345.00 bucks for stinking 4 boxes/80 rounds. Ouuuuuuuch!

I ran into town today and picked up dies, powder and some Hornady 162gr ELD-X's. Which should be wicked at over 3300 FPS. I get more velocity than my 7mm Ultra Magnum with 8gr less powder with the 28 Nosler.

Factory Nosler 160gr Accubond's @ 100 yards. Under 1/2" inch.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:46 pm

Biggerhammer wrote:
$345.00 bucks for stinking 4 boxes/80 rounds. Ouuuuuuuch!

Nice rifle, but :reaction:

Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:41 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wouldn't just drop that brass on the cement step. I'd fashion a little pillow for the brass to luxuriate upon.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not familiar with the round at all. Look forward tl your reports. Quit posting about the ELD-Xs though, damn it! The more people find out about them, the harder they are to find! You will be happy with them and what they do to fuzzy creatures!

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:01 am

MadPick wrote:
I wouldn't just drop that brass on the cement step. I'd fashion a little pillow for the brass to luxuriate upon.

No kidding, I had one drop off the bench and hit the concrete. I couldn't get to it quick enough to see if I dinged up the case neck, fortunately it was good to go.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:27 am

Jagerbomber35 wrote:
Not familiar with the round at all. Look forward tl your reports. Quit posting about the ELD-Xs though, damn it! The more people find out about them, the harder they are to find! You will be happy with them and what they do to fuzzy creatures!

They shoot well in my 7x57 so it would be a real plus if the 28 Nosler shoots them good as well.

Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:29 am

Just finished up my first handloads for the 28 Nosler, while the initial investment in brass and or loaded ammo is a b@&!t. Once I have a fired case it only costs me .86 cents per load using the Hornady 162gr ELD-X, Federal 215 and RL-33 powder.

So once I take the hit for a box of Nosler 160gr Accubond factory loads( $86.40 ). It costs me $17.20 to reload those twenty fired cases. Not to bad considering it's a super magnum and consuming 90 plus grains of powder per shot.

Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:03 pm

Great looking rifle. Which muzzle brake is that? Does this model come threaded from factory?

Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:52 pm

762armo wrote:
Great looking rifle. Which muzzle brake is that? Does this model come threaded from factory?

It comes threaded with a muzzle brake and thread protector included.

Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]