Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:20 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 ARP (AR Performance)6.8 SPC and Six5 upper. 

Just finished assembling this AR the other day. The pic of the complete carbine has a 16" ARP, 6.8 SPC Spec II, 11.25 twist, 5R , midlength gas barrel.

The Cerakote is heat cure Barrett Brown.

I shot some of the factory Hornady ammo with the 110gr BTHP at 300 yards while braking the barrel in. Shows promise, it will tighten up with a good handload. I'm looking forward to loading for it. The photo of the upper by itself. Is a ARP 16", 8.5 twist, 5R barrel chambered in SIX5. Which is ARP's version of the 6.8 SPC necked down to 6.5. I haven't shot it yet. I'm waiting for the custom dies to be delivered next week.

300 yards while breaking the barrel in with Hornady factory ammo, 110gr BTHP.(Slight switchy wind)

SIX5 upper.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice. I'm sitting on a stripped Six8 Upper/Lower Receiver set. Planning to use it on a 22 Nosler build but might have to look at the ARP 6.8 Triad.

Last edited by BlDtyLry on Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:22 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Beautiful, as always.

Do you do your own Cerakote work?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:38 pm

BlDtyLry wrote:
Nice. I'm sitting on a stripped Six8 Upper/Lower Receiver set. Planning to use it on a 22 Nosler build but might have to look at the ARP 6.8 Triad.

The SIX8 Upper/lower sets a very nice!

Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:56 pm

MadPick wrote:
Beautiful, as always.

Do you do your own Cerakote work?

I've thought about setting up to do my own Cerakote but for the time being I have Allen Kirkpatrick, owner of Bighorn Firearms And Finishes in East Wenatchee WA do all my Cerakote work. He does great work and is reasonably priced and local, that's a plus. With a quick turn around time.

Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:06 pm

I had the 6.8 zeroed at 200 with the Hornady factory 123gr SST loads. I got ahold of 5 boxes of the SSA 6.8 SPC loads with the 110gr Nosler Accubond. The Nosler Accubond is my go to bullet in everything I load and shoot for big game hunting, superb bullet!

These are the first 3 I sent to the 200 yard line without changing my 120gr SST zero. I'll take it !!! Half MOA and nearly the same point of impact. Definitely MOA of Mule Deer Heart,

Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:18 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

First three? Half MOA at 200 yards?

Meh. I do that all the time... icon_eek :frust: :bow:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:15 am

Just switched the optics off the 6.8 onto the SIX5 ARP. I need to pick up a good 1-6 or 1-8 for the 6.8. I like to do my original accuracy testing and load development with higher magnification, usually 14X plus. I loaded up a bunch of SIX5 cartridges with the new Hornady 100gr ELD-M's. It took me a bit due to the fact it's a wildcat and my custom dies are still on order.

To form a case. I take a new Hornady 6.8 SPC case and and trim the case by about .060.
My trim to length is 1.620. I then run the trimmed cases through a Redding 6.8 SPC body die. Which sizes the case body and bumps the shoulder without touching the case neck in anyway. Once this is done, I use a 6.5 Grendel full length sizing die with the decap rod removed to partially neck the case down to 6.5 diameter. I set the Grendel die to only size 3/4's of the neck. I then switch to my last die to finish the cases. I use a Redding 6.8 SPC bushing die with a .284 bushing to finish sizing the complete neck. Then prime them, powder charge and seat the bullet and it's a done deal.

Left to right.

6.5 Grendel cartridge, 6.8 SPC case, SIX5 ARP cartridge ready to rock!

Last edited by Biggerhammer on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. You are ambitious and do great work. NICE!

I remain a 6.8SPC fan. Seems like Grendal got a boost from import ammo - wish there was some import 6.8 ammo. I reload.......well I should say for 6.8, I SLOWLY reload.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:13 am

I hit the range this morning to break the barrel in on the ARP 16" SIX5. I loaded up some Hornady 100gr ELD-M's at several different seating depth same powder charge (27gr RL-10X). I was pleased with the results at 200 and 300 yards seeing that I was breaking the barrel in and fire forming cases.

Picked up some 100gr Ballistic Tips on the way home. I'll polish my fired cases bump the shoulders .002 load them up and see how they shoot.

Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Tried the factory Hornady 120gr SST 6.8 SPC loads today at 200 yards. They shot solid half MOA.

I also tried a handload using the Sierra 110gr Pro Hunter bullet. With a muzzle velocity of 2800 fps, the load shoots 3 MOA flatter at 300 yards as compared to the factory Hornady 120gr SST loads. I'll tweek the seating depth some and see if they tighten up. They shot MOA of Mule deer heart out to 300 yards.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Not being one to be satisfied with just knocking holes it paper. I had to see what this 6.8 would do against meat and bone.

Well it was a total BANG/FLOP!!!! @ 237 yards. That's a chip shot for the country I hunt.

Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:01 pm
FFL / Dealer

Hey Folks -

Not trying to jack a thread here but wanted to offer my services since you mentioned Cerakote.

I am a class 1 FFL and offer Cerakote and am located in Kenmore. Were just getting up and running officially but have been coating for self, friends and family for some time. I can handle all of your custom requests including the coolest new camos & color combos. My pricing and gallery is on my website and is 20% discounted now through the New Year.

http://www.savagecoating.com Instagram @savagecoating
253-226-8527
Wes

Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

SavageCoating wrote:
Hey Folks -

Not trying to jack a thread here but wanted to offer my services since you mentioned Cerakote.

I am a class 1 FFL and offer Cerakote and am located in Kenmore. Were just getting up and running officially but have been coating for self, friends and family for some time. I can handle all of your custom requests including the coolest new camos & color combos. My pricing and gallery is on my website and is 20% discounted now through the New Year.

http://www.savagecoating.com Instagram @savagecoating
253-226-8527
Wes

You're spamming the board.
There's a services offered section

Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]