Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 My first AR, I went with Grendel! 

Gibbz Arms Upper with some CQR furniture and a Aero lower.

I may switch to a different stock and grip, as the foregrip is too close and leaves my barrel a bit front heavy when holding.

I'm also getting rid my UTG Magnifier and Bushnell red dot.
Let me know what you think!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How much does it weigh?

And do you reload?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 pm

Pablo wrote:
How much does it weigh?

And do you reload?

It weighs 10lbs on the nose and I'm going to quickly learn how to reload, those rounds ain't cheap :ROFLMAO: :snipersmilie:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks like a hot mess. It's like you bought a Alpha Romeo and put smittybilt bumpers on it, then added a roof rack with a spare tire.

Does the magnifier swing out of the way with the BUIS mounted right next to it?

Are you left handed? I'm trying to understand the sling set up.

Sorry if I sound harsh. You should really just go out and shoot it, see how it works for you and be honest about what needs to go and what can stay. Try other peoples rifles too and see what you like. I'm in Tacoma, we should get down to capitol forest sometime. I have a few ARs.

Do you have a suppressor? I can't tell what muzzle device that is.

What are you planning for optics?

Last but not least: Welcome to the forum!

Hopefully you'll find some good info and meet some nice people like I did.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
That looks like a hot mess. It's like you bought a Alpha Romeo and put smittybilt bumpers on it, then added a roof rack with a spare tire.

I just asked how heavy it is!

I was being polite, but DAMN 10 pounds. WOW. Hot mess!

I don't like the look at all, but that's just personal taste. I shoot 6.8SPCII so, don't me started on Grendal 6.5 :bigsmile: :ROFLMAO:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:37 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

You guys are being fuckheads.

We tend to forget after being around guns for so long that we all started somewhere. My first pistol was a Davis .32 that came apart in my hands while firing.

There's a cool rifle hiding in there. FDE 6.5 Grendel with matched rail, side charging upper, BAD lever, nice muzzle brake, Atlas bipod. I bet neither of your first AR's had those features. I know mine didn't.

There's some funky stuff in there. The optics aren't in a good way. I'd find a 1-6x variable scope and keep the 45 degree irons. Gets you some magnification and options for shooting a little bit of distance or dialing down the scope to low power for closer range shooting. The featureless stocks are interesting, but probably not the best fit for this rifle. We live in (semi) free America, take advantage of it. I think a pistol grip and decent stock would serve you a lot better on this rifle. A Magpul PRS stock is great for scoped shooting, or maybe an ACS if you want a little more versatility at a lighter weight. Also a basic Magpul RVG for the foregrip might be a better option.

You've got a cool rifle there, it's just got some little things that could probably be tweaked to make it really great. Welcome to Waguns and congrats on your first AR!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually like the Hera stock, it reminds me of my thumbhole vepr. How do you like it, op?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:03 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jonathan, welcome to WaGuns! You're right about reloading, for the Grendel it'll be the right path if you shoot more than occasionally.

I agree about the red dot magnifier. I had one on my first AR for a while, and finally decided that it was just heavy and didn't really do me any good . . . and I ditched it.

That's an interesting rifle that you have; thanks for posting!

sinus211 wrote:

Ha! Sinus211 brings the troof. :rofl9:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:06 pm

os2firefox wrote:
I actually like the Hera stock, it reminds me of my thumbhole vepr. How do you like it, op?

It is definitely better suited to a SBR setup. It keeps my elbow in tight when firing so I feel my shoulder giving out much quicker than usual.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 pm

sinus211 wrote:

We tend to forget after being around guns for so long that we all started somewhere. My first pistol was a Davis .32 that came apart in my hands while firing.

There's a cool rifle hiding in there. FDE 6.5 Grendel with matched rail, side charging upper, BAD lever, nice muzzle brake, Atlas bipod. I bet neither of your first AR's had those features. I know mine didn't.

There's some funky stuff in there. The optics aren't in a good way. I'd find a 1-6x variable scope and keep the 45 degree irons. Gets you some magnification and options for shooting a little bit of distance or dialing down the scope to low power for closer range shooting. The featureless stocks are interesting, but probably not the best fit for this rifle. We live in (semi) free America, take advantage of it. I think a pistol grip and decent stock would serve you a lot better on this rifle. A Magpul PRS stock is great for scoped shooting, or maybe an ACS if you want a little more versatility at a lighter weight. Also a basic Magpul RVG for the foregrip might be a better option.

You've got a cool rifle there, it's just got some little things that could probably be tweaked to make it really great. Welcome to Waguns and congrats on your first AR!

Fuck it, I needed a reality check. I saw all this shit I wanted to get and cobbled it all together.

Yeah I get it, I went with the CQR thinking it would look good on my setup. But I realized after a few range days that it doesn't feel right in the hands. I'll save the CQR for a SBR setup later on.

I'm thinking of getting a luth AR buttstock and a simple angled foregrip.

10lbs, is that honestly that heavy for a 16" barrel?

If we're talking SBR I could see that being a problem but I felt a M16 weighing 8lbs wasn't to far off on weight

@Sinus211, I've already ordered a primary arms 1x6 ACSS scope. I'm switching out the safety selector for a strike industries am Ambi selector later on. Then I'll post pics again as a shill account and see if I get roasted again... :ROFLMAO:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crabra wrote:
sinus211 wrote:

Fuck it, I needed a reality check. I saw all this shit I wanted to get and cobbled it all together.

Yeah I get it, I went with the CQR thinking it would look good on my setup. But I realized after a few range days that it doesn't feel right in the hands. I'll save the CQR for a SBR setup later on.

I'm thinking of getting a luth AR buttstock and a simple angled foregrip.

10lbs, is that honestly that heavy for a 16" barrel?

If we're talking SBR I could see that being a problem but I felt a M16 weighing 8lbs wasn't to far off on weight

@Sinus211, I've already ordered a primary arms 1x6 ACSS scope. I'm switching out the safety selector for a strike industries am Ambi selector later on. Then I'll post pics again as a shill account and see if I get roasted again... :ROFLMAO:

Lol, good shit bud but seriously, don't make another account that's a banable offense. Good call on the PA 1-6x that should be a nice fit for this rifle and PA scopes have been excellent in my experience. The Luth AR stock is cool. Nice options and very nice adjustment potential for the price. In a PRS style stock I prefer fixed for the rigidity but to each his own.

Have you shot with an AFG? Personally I hate them but again to each his own. If you like them go for it. I'm very much a VFG guy.

10lbs heavy? I dunno, I'm a fat guy. Aside from a powder scale I don't allow scales in my house. :bigsmile:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

10 pounds isn't heavy just to lift, but carry a 6 pound rifle all day and carry a 10 pound rifle all day and it's noticeable. For the range, more stable, less perceived recoil - with a good trigger, good ammo, good optics and barrel, you could have tack driver.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hera stock works good on an AR 5.7

Last edited by Rix86 on Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:43 pm

So let me tell you about the internals since she looks ugly, but it's what's inside that counts...;)

CMC drop in trigger 3.5lb pull. Sanders Armory 16"barrel, AR Stoner BCG. Compensator is a Strike Industries King Comp. I honestly love a lot of SI's gear aesthetics, functionality be damned!

Should I be upping the buffer tube? I got a basic "mil spec" buffer tube and spring

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow this went south quick, I dig the rifle Crabra, and I've had a thing for those Hera stocks since I first saw them. I bet it's a sweet shooter, and it's a far better looker than my first AR build, so good on you Sir! Believe it or not, building a "lightweight" rifle can cost significant money, I'm into a few builds and I'm always on a budget, shit costs duckets, sale items aren't always the lightest items, so keep on keeping on Sir, that's a sweet build #1!

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next