Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 My first AR, I went with Grendel! 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Crabra wrote:
Should I be upping the buffer tube? I got a basic "mil spec" buffer tube and spring

Nah, the buffer/buffer tube/spring are just a functionality part on the rifle. As long as it's functioning, no need to make changes there.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sinus211 wrote:
Crabra wrote:
Should I be upping the buffer tube? I got a basic "mil spec" buffer tube and spring

Nah, the buffer/buffer tube/spring are just a functionality part on the rifle. As long as it's functioning, no need to make changes there.

There are some pretty high-zoot(zute?) buffer springs available. Flat spring, double sprung, I saw one recently that has a counter weight in it that reduces felt recoil, but while curious, I've never tried them.

I would get everything else sorted out first, and probably in stages, so you could evaluate each change.

And don't always listen to naysayers, but try to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Unless you are humping your gun through the mountains hunting (which I understand you may be doing) or being a top-tier operator and using your gun for hours on end in the toughest conditions, go ahead and have fun with what YOU think looks good and works well enough. (Some guys like Versacci jeans and white sun glasses....)

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I must say the flat wire springs ARE nice!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crabra wrote:
Pablo wrote:
How much does it weigh?

And do you reload?

It weighs 10lbs on the nose and I'm going to quickly learn how to reload, those rounds ain't cheap :ROFLMAO: :snipersmilie:

Just for the record my 2012 DD 5.56 weighs 7lb 4oz with Aimpoint Pro. Same barrel length, and full old school rails, AL BUIS . Not passing judgement just comparison sake - nearly 3+ pounds of gear.

My 6.8SPC weighs just under 7 pounds with DD sights.

My 10mm SBR at 5 pounds is not a good comparison as I went ultra lightweight where I could. Even titanium, aluminum and plastic where I could.

I think you will find reloading almost as rewarding as shooting, so don't rush it.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would never ask these guys for feedback. I'm sure they would say I'm a dick

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:25 pm

Arisaka wrote:

Well it helps that I'm active duty. I'd rather have a few guys telling me what they think is shit and a few guys saying it looks good plus a few guys given me constructive criticism. If they wanna be dicks about it it's cool.

I'm not sure why she weighs 10lbs, I figure it was a Grendel thing, big boned and whatnot.

Plus, I stated at the beginning of the thread I would be taking the CQR off, so people saying that's shit are just being redundant with what I've already wrote.

I'm looking at getting a FAB defense with cheek rider.

Actually you guys are really responsive, the Grendel forum is kinda quiet. I'd rather have some life in the threads. :AR15firing: :cheers2:

Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:

No we wouldn't - we are polite. We would have asked quite politely: "Have you always been a dick?"

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Crabra wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

Well it helps that I'm active duty. I'd rather have a few guys telling me what they think is shit and a few guys saying it looks good plus a few guys given me constructive criticism. If they wanna be dicks about it it's cool.

I'm not sure why she weighs 10lbs, I figure it was a Grendel thing, big boned and whatnot.

Plus, I stated at the beginning of the thread I would be taking the CQR off, so people saying that's shit are just being redundant with what I've already wrote.

I'm looking at getting a FAB defense with cheek rider.

Actually you guys are really responsive, the Grendel forum is kinda quiet. I'd rather have some life in the threads. :AR15firing: :cheers2:

Gotta figure the mass is in the barrel, and yes the chamber must be pretty beefy.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To each their own...

This is easily a 10lb gun, and "only" in 5.56. But that Magpul UBR weighs a ton, along with a 20" medium/heavy barrel.

This too is a 20" gun, but pencil barrel, G10 handguard, etc. Doubt it breaks 8lbs.

OP's rifle definitely seems like the end goal wasn't real clear, but a little time and money can solve that.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To me, none of what you have looks like shit, it's just an odd combination of parts.

If the stock is a good fit then by all means use it. It and the foregrip were really meant to quasi mimic the FN PS90 and would probably 'look' better on a shorter carbine, but if it works for you then it's not wrong.

The optics/sights are contributing quite a bit to the rifles weight, those 45 offsets especially. There are lighter options for offset BUIS. If you're changing out to a 1-6 variable that will dictate what will work. You may just decide not to have BUIS on there at all. I still have them on my scoped ARs but I could really just take them off and be fine.

The bipod mount bugs me but there isn't a obvious solution. I hate having to add a rail to the handguard and a mount to the bipod for it all to go together. I use harris bipods because several companies make adapters to go straight to keymod or the one troy alpha rail I have. The atlas is probably a better bipod but the trade off is weight.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I removed the bipod and sights and she weighs 8lbs. I figure I'll be around 10lbs once I have the new scope in anyway, but I might drop the bipod for hunting since I'll be using a shooting stick. I guess the HERA isn't terrible but she doesn't fit well on this AR, plus my elbow being so tight to my body decreases my stability.

I'm about to get a FAB defense buttstock with cheek riser l from someone local for a great price! What y'all think of those?

These aren't the only issues I've had with my AR, it has been a pain in the ass to assemble and get parts! Growing pains.

Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not really sure what you're trying to accomplish with the build. It's a strange combination of optics, furniture and caliber. What are you trying to accomplish? There's a lot of parts and some fit certain roles better than others.

Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Crabra wrote:
I removed the bipod and sights and she weighs 8lbs. I figure I'll be around 10lbs once I have the new scope in anyway, but I might drop the bipod for hunting since I'll be using a shooting stick. I guess the HERA isn't terrible but she doesn't fit well on this AR, plus my elbow being so tight to my body decreases my stability.

I'm about to get a FAB defense buttstock with cheek riser l from someone local for a great price! What y'all think of those?

These aren't the only issues I've had with my AR, it has been a pain in the ass to assemble and get parts! Growing pains.

You don't need a riser on an ar if you get optic mounts that are correct for an ar. I run aero precision mounts, they are stupid light and you can get them already ceracoted fde. That fab stock looks like it would be kinda heavy, you could save a few oz with a ctr.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:56 pm

So I am going back to a normal pistol grip and a magpul ACS-L

I want to be able to take game with this rifle, while also doing some range time. It's not a short rifle by any means, but I had assumed 16" barrel was a good all around size for carrying it around, especially with a sling.

My scope is in the attachment; primary arms 6x24...I just adjusted the diopter? It was marked as a BLEM scope but it looks brand new

I'm waiting on a set of scope rings I ordered as well

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:01 pm

There we go. The warne scope I ordered looks amazing as well.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next